Tax Tip: Making Sure All Your Investments Are Filed

iStock/ThinkstockWhether your investments are winning or losing, one thing remains constant: Filing tax documents.

Many workers simply have to file a W2 and they're done, but capital gains earners have to file a 1099 as well, which doesn't come until February.

Internal Revenue Service spokesperson Eric Smith says the extra document actually makes filing easier.

"You actually need to fill in less on your return than if you don't get a statement, or if the statement is incorrect," he says.

Smith admits that it can be hard to know your gains and losses for sure, so make sure to talk to your broker.

"One of the things that's changed in the last few years is increased reporting by brokers to their clients in terms of stock sales that they have," he says.

If you don't think you'll get the paperwork in by April 18, then go to to file an extension.

"Interest is going to be due certainly on anything that comes in after the deadline. That's currently 3 percent per year compounded daily. Now that interest rate has been pretty steady in the last few years, it does fluctuate," Smith says.

He says a late fee could apply, but adds that you should be safe as long as you come close to your estimates.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

ABC News Radio