(BIRMINGHAM, Ala.) -- As "Cyber Monday" approaches, authorities are warning shoppers to beware of internet scams.
The FBI's Birmingham office is warning residents about cyber criminals and their aggressive and creative ways to steal money and personal information.
The FBI is offering shoppers the following tips to stay safe while getting those online bargains:
- Do not respond to unsolicited (spam) e-mail.
- Do not click on links contained within an unsolicited e-mail.
- Be cautious of e-mails claiming to contain pictures in attached files, as the files may contain viruses.
- Avoid filling out forms contained in e-mail messages that ask for personal information.
- Always compare the link in the e-mail to the web address link you are directed to and determine if they match.
- Log on directly to the official website for the business identified in the e-mail, instead of “linking” to it from an unsolicited e-mail.
Follow @ABCNewsRadio Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio