(BIRMINGHAM, Ala.) -- A house fire on Sunday claimed the life of an 85-year-old man who served in three wars.
Wilburn Sparks' Sue Drive home broke out in flames due to an electrical problem around 6:30 a.m. Sunday. The patriot was known by family and friends as "Wild Bill," according to WCFT/WJSU-TV, ABC's Birmingham affiliate.
Sparks first joined the armed forces when he was 17, just after the Japanese attack on the Pacific fleet at Pearl Harbor. Following service in Europe throughout the war, he went to Korea to fight communism. His final military engagements were in Vietnam.
Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio