(NEW YORK) -- Americans apparently like their food “to go.” According to a survey by CouponCodes4u, the average person in the U.S. spends more than $900 a year on take-out food.
Researchers polled 2,503 U.S. adults, asking how often they order take-out and how much they spend on it. All respondents had eaten take-out within the week of taking part in the survey.
- Fifty-seven percent of those polled said they prefer take-out food to a home-cooked meal, and of that number, a third claimed they did not have time to cook from scratch.
- Twenty-three percent admitted they did not know how to cook and 23 percent said they had no interest in cooking.
- Nine percent of respondents admitted to getting food delivered every day.
- Thirty-eight percent of respondents order take-out once a week, and 45 percent admit to doing so every two weeks.
- Of the respondents who admitted they preferred take-out food to home-cooked meals, 72 percent admitted they were overweight.
Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio