SEARCH

Entries in Movie Theater (5)

Saturday
Jan262013

Kia Previews Super Bowl Ad in Theaters

Kia Motors(NEW YORK) -- Kia is taking to the big screen to preview its Super Bowl ad for the second year in a row.

Viewers got their first look at a teaser for the ad Friday online and in movie theaters.

The complete ad spot, called “Space Babies,” will be shown in movie theaters on Feb. 1 and 2 before Super Bowl 2013 on Feb. 3.

The full ad will be 60 seconds long and was helmed by British director Jake Scott, who has mostly worked on music videos. Scott is the nephew of the late film director Tony Scott, who directed Top Gun.

“As the marketing event of the year, the Super Bowl is a high-profile platform that Kia has used very successfully in each of the last three years to launch new vehicles and raise consumer awareness and perception for the brand,” Michael Sprague, Kia’s executive vice president, said in a statement.

In its Super Bowl ad last year, Kia featured supermodel Adriana Lima and rock band Motley Crue.

Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio

Monday
Oct012012

Aurora Theater Says It's Not Liable for Colo. Shooter's Rampage

Thomas Cooper/Getty Images(AURORA, Colo.) -- The movie theater chain sued by three moviegoers injured by a gunman in Aurora, Colo., has filed to dismiss the lawsuit, saying that it could not have foreseen the mass shooting that took place July 20.

"It would be patently unfair, and legally unsound, to impose on Cinemark, a private business in the entertainment industry, the duty and burden to have foreseen and prevented the criminal equivalent of a meteor falling from the sky," a court document filed by Cinemark on Thursday stated.

James Holmes, 24, was charged with murder and attempted murder after killing 12 and injuring 58 other people.

Cinemark USA is based in Plano, Texas, and has 461 theaters in the U.S. and Latin America as of June 30, the company states on its website. Cinemark did not return a request for comment.

Keating, Wagner, Polidori and Free, the law firm representing the first three plaintiffs who filed a lawsuit in Denver federal court against Cinemark, did not immediately return a request for comment.

The plaintiffs, Joshua Nowlan, Denise Traynom and Brandon Axelrod, each were shot in various parts of their bodies. Nowlan's right arm was almost severed from the gunshots, the suit says, plus he had injuries to his left leg.

"Although the theater was showing a midnight premiere of the movie and was expecting large crowds of people to attend the midnight showing, no security personnel were present for that showing," their lawsuit stated.

The plaintiffs argue the theater should have been prepared for the shooting, after alleging a previous gang shooting at the venue.

In its motion to dismiss, the theater disputed the assertion, but said that even if it was true, "such an event would be insufficient to make a madman's mass murder foreseeable."

Loren Brown, a personal injury attorney in Colorado who is not involved with the lawsuit, said the state's Lawsuit Premises Liability Act puts some of the burden of protecting customers who are entering property to conduct business.

"If you have someone coming onto your property, or a class of person coming to do business, you've got to take reasonable steps to protect them from dangers that you know about or should know about it," Brown said.

Brown said in order for the plaintiffs to be successful, they will have to relate any past violent incidents at the theater to the mass shootings. That could be a "closer call," Brown said.

"If you have a couple drunks get into a fight in the lobby, that's a whole different thing than someone coming and doing what James Holmes did. That's something that the defense will want to draw out; that it was so unique in character, there's no way it could have been predicted."

Brown said he expects more of the victims will file lawsuits against the theater. He called the law firm representing the plaintiffs, "one of the premier firms in Denver for injured people."

"I would expect to see once they get their toes in the water, other people will be getting more brave," he said.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Friday
Jul272012

United Offering Free Flights to Aurora Shooting Victims’ Families

Joshua Lott/Getty Images(WASHINGTON) -- United Airlines will provide free flights for families of Aurora shooting victims so they can travel to their loved ones’ funerals.

The airline would only provide a brief statement on the matter: “All of us were impacted by these events, and we want to help in any way we can.”

United told ABC News the free flights are being facilitated through the American Red Cross.

James Holmes, 24, is suspected of killing 12 and injuring 58 others during a shooting rampage at a screening of The Dark Knight Rises in the Colorado cinema.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Friday
Jul202012

Will Colorado Shooting Affect "Dark Knight Rises" Legacy?

Thomas Cooper/Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- The mass shooting at a midnight showing of The Dark Knight Rises in Aurora, Colo., that left at least 12 people dead and 50 injured could have a major impact on the legacy of the beloved Batman movie.

Box-office analysts previously believed the final installment of director Christopher Nolan's trilogy could top the record-breaking, $207.4 million debut of The Avengers. But Yahoo movies contributing editor Thelma Adams said it's unlikely the movie would break any opening weekend records now.

"You have to preface it by saying it's only money," she said, "and we're dealing with lives that have been lost. That said, there will be some domestic underperformance. It is going to hurt."

Because much of this weekend has been presold -- the movie made $25 million in presale tickets, and shows in many cities are sold out through Sunday -- the impact on opening weekend will be lessened. Adams said the massacre would not likely affect the movie's global gross. The last Batman film, 2008's The Dark Knight, made almost as much internationally, $469 million, as it did in the U.S., $533 million.

"Maybe opening weekend will be a little bit less, but then the drop will not be as great," Adams said.

Warner Bros. canceled the Paris premiere of the film, scheduled for this evening, after learning about the shooting. Director Nolan and cast members Christian Bale, Anne Hathaway and Morgan Freeman also scrapped press interviews.

"Warner Bros. and the filmmakers are deeply saddened to learn about this shocking incident," the studio said in a statement. "We extend our sincere sympathies to the families and loved ones of the victims at this tragic time."

James Holmes, the suspected 24-year-old shooter who is now in custody, was carrying a gas mask, according to police, leading some people online to speculate that he was trying to imitate the the Batman villain Bane, who wears a gas mask.

Other cities are stepping up security at theaters in light of the tragedy. New York City police Commissioner Ray Kelly released a statement this morning saying, "As a precaution against copycats and to raise the comfort levels among movie patrons in the wake of the horrendous shooting in Colorado, the New York City Police Department is providing coverage at theaters where the The Dark Knight Rises is playing in the five boroughs."

Police in Washington, D.C. have been told to provide "special attention" to movie theaters.

Watch More News Videos at ABC
2012 Presidential Election
Entertainment & Celebrity News

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Mar062012

Michigan Man Sues AMC Movie Theater Over Concession Prices

Mario Tama/Getty Images(DETROIT) -- A Livonia, Mich., man has filed a class action lawsuit against his local AMC movie theater, alleging the establishment grossly overcharges for its snacks and is seeking a refund for customers.

Joshua Thompson filed the suit in Wayne County Circuit Court because he “got tired of being taken advantage of,” his lawyer, Kerry Morgan of Wyandotte, told the Detroit Free Press.  “It’s hard to justify prices that are three and four times higher than anywhere else.”

In the suit, Thompson claims he used to take his own snacks into the theater until it banned the practice.  The suit states that Thompson paid $8 for a soda and packet of Goobers at the theater the day after Christmas, but that he paid less than $3 for those products at a restaurant and drug store that were nearby, the Free Press reported.

Thompson’s suit accuses the theater chain, American Multi Cinema, of contravening the Michigan Consumer Protection Act by overcharging for concession.  In addition to the refund, it seeks a penalty against AMC and any other relief from the court.

Legal experts don’t think Thompson will be successful.

AMC did not respond to ABC News’ request for comment.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio