(LOS ANGELES) -- Just days after a California woman filed a lawsuit claiming a popular online dating site is responsible for her sexual assault, Match.com officials announced Sunday they will now start to screen users against a national sex offenders registry.
The move comes after a Match.com attorney said in a news conference last week that setting up a screening system wasn't possible.
Last week, the woman, publically identified only as Jane Doe, filed the civil lawsuit asking a court to force Match.com to install a sex offender screening system that checks a members' background when they register for the site.
The lawsuit had asked for a temporary restraining order that, if granted, would prevent new members from signing up for Match.com until such a program is instituted.
Jane Doe is described as an Ivy League graduate who works in film and television industry, according to her attorney, Mark Webb.
Webb said his client met a man on Match.com and "she had no reason to believe that he was a convicted sexual offender."
The lawsuit claims Jane Doe and the man went on a date that seemed to go well, but by the next date things turned violent. The lawsuit said the man went to Jane Doe's home after they had dinner and he forced her to perform a sexual act.
Separate criminal rape charges are still pending in a Los Angeles court.
According to Webb, the suspect has a violent history that includes sex assault cases that should have been caught by Match.com before he was allowed to post a profile on the site.
Webb said since Match.com is a successful website, they should have the resources to install a system that could verify that a user is not a sexual predator.
Webb said his client is not asking for money in the current lawsuit but instead to trigger a change in the world of online dating.
Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio