SEARCH

Entries in Sexual Assault (2)

Wednesday
Aug242011

Match.com Agrees to Conduct Sex Offender Screenings to Settle Lawsuit

LOIC VENANCE/AFP/Getty Images(LOS ANGELES) -- Finding your mate online is about to get a little safer. Match.com, the Internet dating site, has agreed to conduct background checks on its members in order to settle a lawsuit brought by 54-year-old Carole Markin, who was raped by a man she met on the dating site. The man, 67-year-old Alan Wurtzel, had six prior convictions for sexual offenses.

Mark Webb, Markin's attorney, said, "When you're right and you can show you're right…and you can get a big huge company to agree that change has to happen, it's a wonderful thing." Webb expects the other big dating sites like eHarmony to follow Match.com's lead and institute background checks.

Prior to Markin's lawsuit, Match.com was not conducting background checks of any kind on its members.

"Before we filed the lawsuit, we asked them to do federal, state and local checks for sex offenders. They refused. We filed the lawsuit, and within three days they reversed their position and said, O.K., we'll do federal. We said, That's not enough. Now yesterday they have finally announced they will do all three," said Webb.

Doing a background check with all levels of government is particularly important, said Webb, because an offender like Wurtzel would not have been exposed by just looking for his name on the federal sex offender registry. He was only listed in the L.A. county registry.

Like millions of single women -- and men -- Markin, a Los Angeles entertainment executive, was looking for love online when she signed up with Match.com.

She had had several previous positive experiences with men she met through Internet dating. "They were nice, successful guys. Maybe they shaved a few years off their age and a few pounds off their profile…but I never, ever thought I would be encountering a criminal," said Markin.

Markin said that she decided to sue because "it's not just a passive situation...they do send you matches. So I thought they had some responsibility."

Why it took so long for sites like Match.com to institute basic security measures for their members is anyone's guess. Calls and emails to a spokesperson for the website were not returned to ABC News. There are disclaimers on Match.com, and sites like it, that advise members to meet in public places and take other precautions.

Webb said he isn't 100-percent certain how Match.com will actually go about performing background checks on their members, but he believes it will involve using information culled from the credit cards every member must have to sign up and pay for the monthly service. He also sounded a cautionary note.

"This is not an insurance policy. The members have a responsibility too…nothing is ever going to be 100-percent foolproof," said Webb.

Alan Wurtzel pleaded no contest to a charge of sexual battery against Carole Markin last week. He is scheduled to be sentenced Sept. 19.

As for Markin, she is proud that her lawsuit could protect people and that Match.com has agreed to make its service safer. She said she might "stick [her] toe in the [dating] water a little bit … I just don't know yet."

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Apr192011

Woman Suing Match.Com Over Alleged Assault Comes Forward

ABC News(NEW YORK) -- The once anonymous woman who filed a lawsuit against the online dating website Match.com because of an alleged sexual assault has come forward to say she's glad her suit got results.

"I'm tired of hiding behind masks and glasses," said Carole Markin on ABC’s Good Morning America. "I want to come forward and speak for the other Jane Does and Joe Blows who've been abused by sexual predators and give them courage to do something for themselves."

Last week, Markin, then only publically identified only as Jane Doe, filed the civil lawsuit asking a court to force Match.com to install a sex offender screening system that checks the background of those who register for the site.

The lawsuit had asked for a temporary restraining order that, if granted, would prevent new members from signing up for Match.com until such a program is instituted. It claims Markin and the man went on a date that turned violent.

The lawsuit said the man went to Markin's house after they had dinner last May and he forced her to perform a sexual act. Alan Paul Wurtzel was arrested and charged but no trial date has been set. Wurtzel's attorney maintains the sexual encounter was consensual and a trial date has not been set in that case.

Match.com officials announced Sunday it will start to screen users against a national sex offenders registry.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio