« Which Airline Reigned Supreme In 2010? | Main | BP Wants to Resume Oil Drilling in the Gulf of Mexico »

Tax Tip: Getting Help from the IRS?

Comstock Images/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- Is the IRS more user friendly than it used to be?

Tax accountant Janice Hayman thinks so. “They really are trying to encourage people to be open with them," she says. "Contact them. Communicate with them. Let them know if you're having a problem paying them."

The worst thing you can do about your taxes, Hayman says, would be to ignore them.  “Just don't run and hide. Do something," she says.  "Call them. Lay it on the line, tell them your story and they will try to work with you."

Jodie Reynolds with the IRS says there is a toll-free number you can call: “Anybody can call the 1-800-829-1040 line with tax law questions – account questions, if you have a balance due."

But Hayman says is quicker and often more reliable than calling the IRS.  “I think going to the IRS website should be first choice," she says.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Reader Comments

There are no comments for this journal entry. To create a new comment, use the form below.

PostPost a New Comment

Enter your information below to add a new comment.

My response is on my own website »
Author Email (optional):
Author URL (optional):
Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <code> <em> <i> <strike> <strong>

ABC News Radio