(NEW YORK) -- Wal-Mart is refusing to sign on to a legally binding pact aimed at improving worker safety in Bangladesh.
Earlier this week, major European retailers agreed to an accord negotiated with international labor groups. The plan is aimed at preventing another tragedy similar to the eight-story building collapse last month near Dhaka, in which more than 1,100 clothing industry workers were killed.
Instead, Wal-Mart announced on Tuesday its own plan for improving safety.
In a statement, the big box retailer said "it will conduct in-depth safety inspections at 100 percent of the factories in Bangladesh that produce goods for the retailer. The company will complete all reviews within six months and will publicly release the names and inspection information on all 279 factories."
The results of the investigation will be published on Wal-Mart's website.
Meanwhile, newly found documents indicate that clothing had been produced for Wal-Mart at the collapsed Bangladesh building, according to The New York Times.
"The Bangladesh Center for Worker Solidarity has provided The New York Times with photos of several documents not disputed by Wal-Mart that were recovered in the building’s rubble, showing that a Wal-Mart contractor from Canada had produced jeans last year at the Ether Tex factory, which had been situated on the fifth floor of the collapsed Rana Plaza building," the newspaper reports.
Both Wal-Mart and the contractor have denied knowing about the production orders, the Times says.
Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio