SEARCH

Monday
May212018

Famed chef Mario Batali investigated for sexual assault by NYPD

ABC/Lorenzo Bevilaqua(NEW YORK) -- Beleaguered chef Mario Batali is being investigated by the New York Police Department for sexual assault allegations raised in a 60 Minutes report that aired Sunday.

The NYPD told ABC News that a second allegation was brought to the NYPD late last year and dates to 2004.  It was brought to the department’s attention soon after the #MeToo movement was born out of the Harvey Weinstein matter. That case remains open. The allegation is similar to the incident on 60 Minutes in that this second case involves an unconscious woman. 

We’re told she alleges that she was at his restaurant Babbo in January 2004, lost consciousness and found Batali on top of her when she awoke.

The 60 Minutes report featured an unidentified former employee of Batali's, who spoke out about the 57-year-old chef and former TV star, saying he drugged and assaulted her at a popular New York City restaurant more than a decade ago.

"I remember a moment where I was on his lap, kissing him. Like, he was kissing me," she said on the program. "And then I remember throwing up in a toilet. And that is all. I woke up by myself on the floor. The first thing I think is I've been drugged....I've been assaulted," she said.

The woman added that she spoke to police after the alleged incident but did not file a report.

A request for comment from Batali's rep wasn't immediately returned to ABC News, but the chef "vehemently" denied the assault to 60 Minutes.

Last December, four women came forward and told the website Eater that Batali had sexually harassed them.

"I apologize to the people I have mistreated and hurt," Batali said in part at the time. "That behavior was wrong, and there are no excuses. I take full responsibility and am deeply sorry for any pain, humiliation or discomfort I have caused to my peers, employees, customers, friends and family."

After the Eater piece, Batali was asked to leave ABC's The Chew and he offered to step away from the day-to-day operations of his restaurant group, the Batali and Bastianich Hospitality Group.

A rep told 60 Minutes that it finds the allegations "deeply disturbing" and that "our partnership with Mr. Batali is ending..."

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Monday
May212018

Karrueche Tran dishes on how she met her new beau, former NFL player Victor Cruz

Photo by Shareif Ziyadat/Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- Karrueche Tran is focused on living her best life.

With the recent release of her headlining feature in the Zoe Saldana-produced comedy The Honor List, and her upcoming return as Virginia on season two of Claws, Tran has transformed herself from Internet personality to full-fledged actress.

With a seemingly bright future ahead of her, Tran has also gained a new relationship -- with her now boyfriend, former NFL player Victor Cruz -- which she is excited to talk about.

"I mean we've known each other for a while, but he was in a relationship before -- which I totally respected," Tran tells ABC Radio, dishing on how the two first met. "And that up until recently, you know, he was single and I was like, 'Are you sure, you're single...? I had to, you know, confirm all that."

The two, who were first spotted in December 2017 simply holding hands while walking in L.A., have upgraded their public displays of affection to now kissing and hanging out on vacation together.

According to Tran, their relationship has been both "real" and authentic.

"And then so we just started like hanging out, and getting to know each other," she says. "And it's just very, like, genuine and real. We have a good time together, we have fun. And that's all that matters."

The Honor List, which also stars Meghan RienksSasha Pieterse and Arden Cho, is now available on digital, Blu-ray, DVD and on demand. Tran's comedy Claws returns Sunday, June 10 at 9 p.m. on TNT.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Monday
May212018

"SNL" ends season with star-studded finale and a "Sopranos"-themed cold open

Photo by: Will Heath/NBC(NEW YORK) -- On its season finale, Saturday Night Live celebrated the one-year anniversary of the Robert Mueller investigation with a parody of the final scene of The Sopranos -- complete with a diner and, yes, even Journey.

The show opened with Alec Baldwin's Trump playing the role of Tony Soprano in a diner waiting on his "family" to show up for dinner. But instead of Carmela, A.J. and Meadow showing up, it was Rudy Giuliani, Michael Cohen and Donald Trump Jr.

As usual, Giuliani was played by Kate McKinnon, Michael Cohen was Ben Stiller and Mikey Day played the role of Trump Jr.

"So Rudy did you go on Fox News last night?" Trump asked.

"Twenty times," he responded over Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'." "I said you colluded with Russia, but then I ended with, 'So what?'"

Host Tina Fey followed up the star-studded cold open with a monologue, joking that A-list celebrities were stealing time from the series' cast.

Of course, she then proceeded to take questions from the audience, comprised of Jerry Seinfeld, Benedict Cumberbatch, Chris Rock, De Niro, Anne Hathaway, Fred Armisen, Donald Glover -- who hosted two weeks ago and said he left his hat -- and Tracy Morgan. Not to mention superstar Nicki Minaj was the musical guest. 

Later in the show, Fey made a return to her iconic impression of Sarah Palin to highlight all the people the Trump administration has scorned. 

"Take it from me. Politics is a wild ride. One minute you're on top and then you're gone in the blink of a Scaramucci," she jokes in Palin's signature accent, closing the season with one of the show's signature political jokes.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Monday
May212018

"Deadpool 2" dethrones "Avengers: Infinity War" at the box office with $125 million weekend

20th Century Fox(LOS ANGELES) -- Deadpool 2 ended Avengers: Infinity War's three-week reign at the box office, nabbing an estimated $125 million in its opening weekend. However, it failed to deliver the record opening for an R-rated film, as many predicted, falling short of the $132.4 million debut of the original Deadpool.

The film, starring Ryan Reynolds and Josh Brolin, did manage to set a record for 20th Century Fox, posting the studio's best overseas debut with an estimated $176.3 million, topping the $174 million for 2014's X-Men: Days of Future Past. In total, Deadpool 2's worldwide take stands at $301.3 million.

Dropping to second place is Marvel's Avengers: Infinity War, with an estimated $28.7 million, bringing its totals stateside to over $595 million and making it the eighth largest domestic release of all-time. 
It also tacked on an estimated $84 million overseas, and it now ranks as the third largest worldwide release with roughly $1.81 billion. Disney is the parent company of Marvel and ABC.

Book Club -- starring Diane Keaton, Jane Fonda, Candice Bergen, and Mary Steenburgen -- bows in third place with an estimated $12.5 million, ahead of Life of the Party, which drops from second to fourth place with an estimated $7.7 million.

Rounding out the top five is Breaking In, collecting an estimated $6.47 million in its second week of release.

Here are the top 10 movies from Friday through Sunday, with estimated weekend gross ticket sales:

1. Deadpool 2, $125 million
2. Avengers: Infinity War, $28.7 million
3. Book Club, $12.5 million
4. Life of the Party, $7.7 million
5. Breaking In, $6.47 million
6. Show Dogs, $6 million
7. Overboard, $4.7 million
8. A Quiet Place, $4 million
9. Rampage, $1.5 million
10. I Feel Pretty, $1.28 million

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Friday
May182018

Tina Fey and Nicki Minaj get "lit" in "Saturday Night Live" season finale promos 

Rosalind O'Connor/NBC(NEW YORK) -- Nicki Minaj is headed back to Saturday Night Live  tomorrow as the show's season finale musical guest. The long-running sketch comedy series announced the rapper's appearance back in April via Twitter.  

Three promos for the episode, starring Minaj and scheduled guest host and former SNL cast member and head writer Tina Fey have also been released. One shows Tina trying desperately to appear cool enough to use the word "lit," and another has her trying to pitch a sketch to Nicki, which she rejects only to agree to turn it into a feature film.

This will be Nicki's fifth time gracing the SNL stage to perform. She was a musical guest in 2011 and 2014 and made cameo appearances for Drake and The Weeknd's sets in 2011 and 2015, respectively. 

She also announced the June 15 arrival of her forthcoming album, Queen, on the Met Gala red carpet in early May. Queen is Nicki's follow-up to her disc The Pinkprint, which was released in 2014. 

Saturday Night Live begins airing at 11:30 p.m. ET on NBC. 

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Friday
May182018

"13 Reasons Why" event canceled in wake of Santa Fe school shooting

Interscope Records(LOS ANGELES) -- An event in Los Angeles to mark the season two premiere of the Netflix series 13 Reasons Why has been canceled in the wake of Friday's shooting at Santa Fe High School in Texas.

“Our hearts are with the victims of the Santa Fe High School shooting, and with all victims of gun violence. In light of today’s tragedy, we are cancelling the 13 Reasons Why S2 premiere event tonight,” reads a Netflix statement provided to ABC News.

13 Reasons Why centers on a high school student's suicide, and the 13 cassette tape recordings she leaves behind for various former classmates, whom she blames in part for her decision to take her own life. The show has been both praised and criticized for the way in which it explores topics of teen suicide, bullying, sexual abuse and more.  Season two of the show just premiered Friday on Netflix.

Ten people were killed and ten wounded in the shooting late Friday morning in the Santa Fe shooting.  Dimitrios Pagourtzis, a 17-year-old junior at Santa Fe High School, has been arrested and charged in connection with the shooting.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Friday
May182018

Ahead of "American Idol" finale, Ryan Seacrest says votes are "tight" as judges offer advice

ABC/Craig Sjodin(LOS ANGELES) -- The American Idol two-night finale begins Sunday night, as Gabby Barrett, Caleb Lee Hutchinson and Maddie Poppe face off against each other for the crown.  Host Ryan Seacrest says right now, it's hard to predict who'll win because the voting is extremely close.

"I looked at the votes, it's very tight," Seacrest tells ABC Radio. "We haven't really talked much about that. But during that last episode on Sunday, it was going back and forth between the finalists that had made it."

But does Ryan think America picked the right final three?  He admits, "I was sad to see some of them leave, especially Michael J. Woodard. I loved him, a lot of people loved him...but they've picked three great contestants who have their own style, who deserve to be there...each of 'em wants to be the one that wins."

O.K., so how can Gabby, Caleb and Maddie go about being the winner?  Judge Katy Perry tells ABC Radio, "In the top three, there are some people that are better at performance, some people are better at their artistic delivery, some people that are original tones. And so they just gotta know what their strong suits are and play those cards right."

Luke Bryan agrees, saying that what the contestants need to do to win is "stick with what got 'em here."  But while he believes America "might know what they're already gonna do," he still thinks the contestants have to "keep turning it up."   

As previously reported, all three judges will perform on the finale, as will Bebe Rexha, Patti LaBelle, Hootie & the Blowfish frontman Darius Rucker, Yolanda Adams, guitarist Gary Clark Jr., and Kermit the Frog.

The American Idol finale begins Sunday night at 8 p.m. and concludes Monday night at 9 p.m. ET on ABC.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Friday
May182018

Michael Jackson to have Detroit street named after him, two-hour ABC special coming May 24 

ABC News(NEW YORK) -- Believe it or not, next year marks the 10th anniversary of Michael Jackson's death, and the tragic event is being examined in a two-hour ABC special airing Thursday, May 24.

The Last Days of Michael Jackson explores the late King of Pop's life and legacy, via interviews with those who knew him, and never-before-seen footage of interviews MJ did with Barbara Walters and Diane Sawyer. 

The show also will feature new interviews with Derek "Cooley" Jaxson, who taught Michael how to moonwalk; the MJ impersonator Navi, who served as the star's decoy at public appearances; and Lisa Staub, a tour operator who was in front of MJ's house the day he died.

The Last Days of Michael Jackson airs May 24 at 8 p.m. ET.

Meanwhile, MJ is getting his own street in the Motor City.  According to the Detroit Free Press, the city will rename a stretch of Randolph Street in the theater district "Michael Jackson Avenue."  A ceremony will be held June 15, as part of the Detroit Music Weekend festival.  The surviving members of The Jackson 5 will also receive a key to the city by Mayor Mike Duggan, and will play a headlining concert during the festival.

The honor comes nearly 50 years after The Jackson 5's July 23, 1968, audition for Motown Records. They were initially turned down by label head Berry Gordy, but he reconsidered and signed them in early 1969.  The group remained on the label through 1975, scoring hits like "I Want You Back," "ABC" and "I'll Be There."

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Friday
May182018

"Deadpool" comic writer gives Ryan Reynolds props for bringing anti-hero to life

TM & © 2018 Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation. All Rights Reserved. Not for sale or duplication.(NEW YORK) -- While the original Deadpool was a gamble for 20th Century Fox, the modestly budgeted, R-rated 2016 movie became a smash, making more than $783 million in theaters worldwide.

Ryan Reynolds spent 11 years trying to do justice to the character, who was born on the pages of Marvel Comics in 1991. 

While writer Fabian Nicieza and artist/writer Rob Liefeld created Wade Wilson/Deadpool, writer Joe Kelly spent three years writing the books and shaping the character -- as well as creating the first movie's villain, Francis/Ajax, and Wade's roommate/confidante, Blind Al. Kelly was thrilled to see his characters get the nod from Reynolds and company.

"It blew me away," Kelly told ABC Radio. "And to see them articulated on the big screen it was really great -- especially Al -- and Leslie Uggams just slays it! Every scene she's in is hilarious...[A]nd then to have that story -- which we did sort of as an annual origin story for him -- basically be the basis of the film, was really great." 

"Ryan ultimately...championed Deadpool," Kelly said. "You know, some of these projects, people are not sure what to do with them. Deadpool really is like big A,  capital A 'anti-hero'...and...so even if they had wanted to do it, I don't know that they would have known how."

"And I think [Ryan] ... had the foresight, you know and stuck with it, which is very, very cool," Kelly says.  

Deadpool 2, which also stars Josh Brolin, Terry Crews and Zazie Beetz, is now in theaters.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Friday
May182018

"The Bachelorette" host Chris Harrison on whether the royal wedding will be a Cinderella story or a royal bust

ABC(LOS ANGELES) -- No one has more experience bringing couples together than the host of both The Bachelor and The Bachelorette, Chris Harrison.

So, with the royal wedding coming up on Saturday, ABC Radio asked Chris if he thinks Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will last, and he's laying pretty good odds they will.

"I think they have to last. They're contractually obligated to. That's it man, you're done," he says.

And what if the couple should hit a rough patch?

"The good news is they have castles to go to," says Harrison. "So it's like, 'Look, I don't like you anymore -- you go to that castle, I'll go to the one out west.'"

Chris wishes nothing but the best for Harry and Meghan, but he's still kind of bummed about not making the guest list.

"You know, you talk about Emmy snubs and Oscars snubs, this would probably go down as the biggest snub in history -- I'm not officiating the most dramatic wedding ever," he jokes.  

The new season of The Bachelorette premieres May 28 at 8 p.m. ET on ABC.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.







ABC News Radio