SEARCH

Thursday
Nov162017

Old Vic Investigation reveals more claims of Kevin Spacey inappropriate behavior

Getty Images/Samir Hussein(LONDON) -- At least twenty people over a period of 18 years reported being the subject of inappropriate behavior by Kevin Spacey, according to an investigation by London's Old Vic Theatre. 

A statement released Thursday revealed the results of an investigation conducted by a law firm at the Old Vic's request, which found the alleged incidents occurred between 1995 and 2013, with all but two occurring prior to 2009.  Spacey was the Old Vic's artistic director from 2004 to 2015.  None of the alleged victims were minors, the statement says, and everyone who participated did so knowing their identity would be kept confidential.

Late last month, actor Anthony Rapp told Buzzfeed that when he was 14, Spacey made a sexual advance on him.  The Old Vic later issued a statement saying they were "deeply dismayed" by the accusations. Since then, there have been multiple additional accusations of Spacey engaging in in appropriate behavior, including alleged sexual assault.

Thursday's Old Vic statement notes that "no legal claims, formal grievances, formal disputes, settlement agreements or payments made or authorized were made at all in relation to Kevin Spacey during his tenure," and that only one of the claims was reported to management.  Because of this, and because Spacey hasn't commented on the allegations, "The review cannot therefore make any findings of fact about the alleged misconduct," the statement says.

The Old Vic also shoulders some of the blame for the environment in which the alleged behavior occurred, saying their review found "that those affected felt unable to raise concerns and that Kevin Spacey operated without sufficient accountability."  Many who observed the alleged behavior said they were "unclear about how to respond," or "did not feel confident that The Old Vic would take those allegations seriously," given Spacey's position and notoriety.

The statement ends with a commitment by the Old Vic to systems and practices "to ensure that the theatre fulfils its duty of care to all who work with the organization."  That includes making around-the-clock counseling available to any alleged victims.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Thursday
Nov162017

Director Ron Howard dishes on the upcoming Han Solo "Star Wars" prequel 

ABC/Lou Rocco(LOS ANGELES) -- Ron Howard has directed dozens of films in his decades-long career, but stepping behind the camera still presents some trials for the veteran director.

The Academy Award winner told ABC Radio that he found it “very challenging” to take over the reins of the upcoming Han Solo prequel, Solo: A Star Wars Story from Phil Lord and Christopher Miller over the summer.

The movie, which is currently in post-production, is expected to hit theaters in May.

"Those are challenging projects. And they take they take you know a lot of very talented people’s energy to try to live up to the legacy of Star Wars and everything that it means," he said. "Of course no spoilers coming from me but I had a great experience and I think fans are going to really enjoy it."

Howard spoke to ABC Radio at the Beverly Hills premiere of Broken Memories, which stars his father, octogenarian Rance Howard, as a man struggling with Alzheimer's disease.

Before the screening, the Alzheimer’s Greater Los Angeles organization presented gifts to Ron and his daughter, actress Bryce Dallas Howard: framed photographs of Rance Howard with his late wife, Judy Howard, who died earlier this year after a battle with Alzheimer's.

Ron Howard told ABC Radio of his father, "He loved making the movie. He believes in what [the film] said. It’s a subject that has touched our family -- Alzheimer’s. ... [and] could be applied to anyone’s life."

Added Bryce Dallas Howard: "We’ve experienced what an organization like Alzheimer Greater Los Angeles can do for a family… so to get to give back in even in a smallest way is meaningful."

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Thursday
Nov162017

"The Voice" recap: Artists from Miley Cyrus’ team advance to the top 12

NBC Universal(LOS ANGELES) -- The playoffs concluded on Wednesday night’s one-hour episode of The Voice, with the six artists from Miley Cyrus' team performing for a spot in the top 12. Blake Shelton and Jennifer Hudson’s teams performed on Monday. Adam Levine’s team took the stage on Tuesday.

It was up to Miley to determine which three artists would represent him in next week’s live shows, when the power will shift to America's vote.

Also, host Carson Daly revealed that before the show, Miley got to pick a “comeback artist” from her team to rejoin the competition. She chose Karli Webster.

The artists advancing to the top 12 for Team Miley are: Brooke Simpson, Janice Freeman and Ashland Craft

Brooke Simpson led off with James Brown’s “It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s Man’s World,” followed by Miley’s comeback artist, Karli Webster, singing Dolly Parton’s “Coat of Many Colors.” Rocker Adam Pearce -- stolen from Adam’s team -- tackled Nazareth’s “Love Hurts”; big-voiced country singer Ashland Craft sang “When I Think about Cheatin’” by Gretchen Wilson; and 16-year-old powerhouse rocker Moriah Formica put her spin on Beth Hart’s’ “World Without You.” Soul singer Janice Freeman rounded things out, tackling Leela James’ “Fall for You.”

Miley saved Simpson, Freeman and Craft. It was the end of the road for Webster, Pearce and Formica.

The Voice returns Monday night at 8 p.m. ET on NBC.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Wednesday
Nov152017

Fans freak out as the real Luke Skywalker crashes "Star Wars" ride at Disney 

Disney(LOS ANGELES) --  Luke Skywalker himself -- aka Mark Hamill -- gave Star Wars fans the surprise of their lives Tuesday night when he crashed a ride at Disneyland in California.

In a video posted on his Twitter page, Hamill, 66, pops up out of nowhere during the Star Tours ride introduction, during which fans take their seats and get instructions on what to expect before their adventure begins.

"The captain did mention something about a special passenger," a Disney employee tells fans who are all seated and ready to go. "Oh, and the Force is strong with this one."

"Hello, everyone," Hamill shouts, as fans jump back and then lose their minds with excitement. 

Hamill continues to joke, asking, "There's no Star Wars fans here, are there?"

The actor later commented on the post, writing, "It took me long enough - but my childhood dream of working at Disneyland finally came true!"

Hamill will be on tour in the coming weeks promoting the highly anticipated Star Wars: The Last Jedi, which hits theaters December 15.  He's likely to delight more fans with his antics -- he's been known to make surprise visits to children's hospitals to lift the kids’ spirits.

Star Wars is owned by Disney, the parent company of ABC News.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Wednesday
Nov152017

Binge where? Don't care - Survey shows who watches the watchers

Netflix(LOS ANGELES) -- While unheard of just years ago, people can now fill every available moment watching their favorite shows, and a new survey shows just how far they're willing to go.

A survey of more than 37 thousand Netflix users reveals that 67% of people will risk "embarrassment, awkwardness and spoilers" to watch their favorite shows in public places. That's right: They're not afraid to laugh out loud, cry, or squee -- or openly watch steamy streaming content just to get their binge on.

The SurveyMonkey poll revealed that 45% of Netflix watchers have nabbed "backseat bingers" checking out their shows, though most watch proudly -- just 18% say they've been embarrassed about what strangers are peeping, and 77% say prying eyes aren't enough to get them to hit "pause."

Speaking of which, 7% of those surveyed say they've watched streaming content in public bathrooms -- way more do so in their own bathroom, for the record --  and 26% say they've watched it at work.

Streaming their stuff is so important, in fact, that the survey shows 30% of those polled say, "access to movies and TV shows" is considered more essential than food or beverages on a trip.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Wednesday
Nov152017

After "SNL", Tiffany Haddish in talks to headline two movies

NBC/Will Heath(LOS ANGELES) -- After killing it on Saturday Night Live over the weekend, Tiffany Haddish is making some major moves.  Variety has learned Haddish has been tapped to headline two major studio movies.

Haddish's first potential film, New Line's The Kitchen, is based on the DC Comic with the same name and will follow the wives of Irish mobsters who take over their now incarcerated husbands' business. The film will also be Straight Outta Compton's screenwriter Andrea Berloff's directorial debut.

The second film, Universal's The Temp, is said to be a "female-driven comedy," that will be produced by Haddish's Girls Trip producer Will Packer. Additional plot details have yet to be revealed.

Haddish is currently working on multiple projects, including The Last O.G., starring Tracy Morgan, and Night School, starring Kevin Hart.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Wednesday
Nov152017

Terry Crews names alleged sexual assaulter: "I will not be shamed"

ABC/Paula Lobo(NEW YORK) -- Terry Crews has publicly named for the first time the high-powered talent agent he claims groped him at an industry party, and says he will "not be shamed" about the alleged assault.

"Back in February 2016, I was assaulted by Adam Venit, who is head of the Motion Picture Department at William Morris Endeavor, one of the biggest agencies in the world," Crews said Wednesday on ABC's Good Morning America. "He’s connected to probably everyone I know in the business. I did not know this man. I have never had a conversation with him, ever."

Venit has represented stars including Adam SandlerEddie MurphySylvester StalloneDiane KeatonLiam Hemsworth, and Steve Martin.

The Brooklyn Nine-Nine star was with his wife, Rebecca King-Crews, at the party last year when he claims Venit began sticking out his tongue in an "overtly sexual" manner.

"I’m looking like, 'Is this a joke?' It was actually so bizarre," Crews said. "He comes over to me and I stick my hand out and he literally takes his hand and puts it and squeezes my genitals. I jump back like, ‘Hey, hey.’"

Crews claims he then pushed Venit away from him, causing Venit to bump into other partygoers.

"I have never felt more emasculated, more objectified. I was horrified," Crews said. "It’s so bizarre. I wake up every morning wondering, ‘Did this really happen?'"

"It was an abuse of power. This is abuse," Crews added. "This is the thing that a lot of people just don't understand and they end up blaming the victim. And I have totally said -- I will not be shamed."

William Morris Endeavor confirmed to ABC News that, "Adam Venit was suspended following the internal investigation into the matter."

Crews filed a police report Nov. 8 in connection with the alleged incident.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Wednesday
Nov152017

Ryan Reynolds hides "Deadpool 2" sneak peek in Bob Ross spoof

20th Century Fox(LOS ANGELES) -- Ryan Reynolds has just revealed a clever guerrilla promotion that's giving fans their first peek of his Deadpool 2.

On his Twitter account -- on which he previously extolled the relaxing virtues of the late Bob Ross' TV show The Joy of Painting -- Deadpool spoofs the famously fuzzy-haired paartistinter. 

Dressed like Ross, complete with trademark afro, over Deadpool's costume, our hero copies Ross' breathy delivery as he paints a canvas using colors like "Betty White" and "Yellow Snow."

It doesn't take long for the bit to go off the rails, with Deadpool comparing a painted winter scene to "cascading white powder," adding, "God I love cocaine.  So much."  There are also more than a few sexual references, none of which we can repeat. 

About halfway through, we also get our first glimpses of Deadpool 2 footage, including gunplay, Deadpool popping out of a casket, and glimpses of returning stars Brianna Hildebrand as a bird-flipping Negasonic Teenage Warhead, T.J. Miller as Weasel, and Leslie Uggams as Blind Al.  There's also an blink-and-you'll-miss-it shot of series newcomer Zazie Beetz busting down a door as Domino.

Deadpool later reveals his finished painting: the same Norman Rockwell Thanksgiving spoof seen in a Good Housekeeping promotional issue earlier this weel. 

Pay attention to the video credits, too, which include names like Blanche Derereaux -- another Deadpool/Golden Girls reference -- as well as "Geordie Laforge," from Star Trek: The Next Generation."  Security is credited to Dalton -- a reference to Patrick Swayze's Road House bouncer character.

There's even a mini after-credits scene, with a cybernetic hand, belonging to Josh Brolin's Cable, grabbing a grenade launcher.

Deadpool 2's scheduled for release June 1 of next year.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Wednesday
Nov152017

Cast and crew of "One Tree Hill" accuse showrunner of sexual harassment 

E! Entertainment - NBCU Photo Bank via Getty Images/Heidi Gutman(LOS ANGELES) -- The cast and crew of the former CW show One Tree Hill on Monday accused creator and showrunner Mark Schwahn of sexual harassment, in support of a Twitter accusation over the weekend by one of the show's writers, Audrey Wauchope.

In a joint statement to Variety, the cast and crew, including stars Sophia Bush, Hilarie Burton, and Bethany Joy Lenz write, in part, "Mark Schwahn’s behavior over the duration of the filming of One Tree Hill was something of an 'open secret.' Many of us were, to varying degrees, manipulated psychologically and emotionally. More than one of us is still in treatment for post-traumatic stress. Many of us were put in uncomfortable positions and had to swiftly learn to fight back, sometimes physically, because it was made clear to us that the supervisors in the room were not the protectors they were supposed to be." 

The statement added, "More than one woman on our show had her career trajectory threatened."

In a series of tweets Saturday, Wauchope -- without naming the show or Schwahn -- alleged that female writers on a past show on which she was writer would position themselves in meetings so as not to be touched by the showrunner who, she also alleged, once showed men on the set naked photos of an actress he was dating without the actress's knowledge.  Wauchope also accused the showrunner of propositioning her writing partner on the eve of her wedding.

It was the open letter from the One Tree Hill cast and crew that named the show, and Schwahn as the alleged perpetrator.  A rep for Schwahn told ABC News, "Mark is speaking with his attorney and will decide soon if he is making a statement."

E!, the network that hosts Schwahn's current show, The Royals, also released a statement, declaring: "We are monitoring the information carefully. E!, Universal Cable Productions and Lionsgate Television are committed to providing a safe working environment in which everyone is treated respectfully and professionally."

The CW, which aired One Tree Hill from 2006 to 2012, did not immediately return ABC News' request for comment.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Wednesday
Nov152017

"The Voice" recap: Artists from Adam Levine’s team advance to the top 12

NBC Universal(LOS ANGELES) -- The playoffs continued on Tuesday night’s one-hour episode of The Voice, with the six artists from Adam Levine's team performing for a spot in the top 12. Blake Shelton and Jennifer Hudson’s teams performed on Monday. Miley Cyrus’ team will take the stage on Wednesday.

It was up to Adam to determine which three artists would represent him in next week’s live shows, where the power will shift to America's vote.

Also, host Carson Daly revealed that before the show, Adam got to pick a “comeback artist” from his team to rejoin the competition. Levine chose Whitney Fenimore.

The artists advancing to the top 12 after Monday’s show are:

Team Blake: Addison Agen, Jon Mero and Adam Cunningham

Adam Cunningham -- stolen from Blake’s team -- led off with Joe Cocker’s “Have a Little Faith in Me.” Next, was Adam’s comeback artist, Whitney Fenimore, singing Sheryl Crow’s “If It Makes You Happy,” followed by Emily Luther, tackling Adele’s version of “Lovesong” by The Cure. 18-year-old California pop singer Anthony Alexander followed with Ed Sheeran’s “Perfect.” Jon Mero showed his softer side on Adele’s “When We Were Young” and 16-year-old Addison Agen -- stolen from Team Miley -- rounded things out, singing Bonnie Raitt’s “Angel from Montgomery.”

Adam saved Agen, Mero and Cunningham. It was the end of the road for Fenimore, Luther and Alexander.

The Voice returns Wednesday night at 8 p.m. ET on NBC.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.







ABC News Radio