SEARCH

Monday
Sep172018

A movie star is born: Lady Gaga was most tweeted-about celeb at Toronto Film Festival 

Neal Preston/© 2018 WARNER BROS. ENTERTAINMENT INC. AND METRO-GOLDWYN-MAYER PICTURES INC.(TORONTO) -- Lady Gaga's appearance at the Toronto International Film Festival set Twitter on fire.

ET Canada reports that Twitter Canada tracked the mentions of stars and movies during the festival earlier this month, and Gaga came out on top all around. She was the most tweeted-about star at the festival, and her new movie A Star Is Born was the most-mentioned film on Twitter. 

In addition, Gaga was the main attraction at the festival's most-tweeted moment: The red carpet for A Star Is Born. The press conference promoting the film, which also featured Gaga, was the festival's second most-tweeted moment. 

Gaga's Star Is Born co-star and director Bradley Cooper was the third most-mentioned star of the festival, behind Timothée Chalamet, star of the new film Beautiful Boy.

Other stars who made the list include Robert Pattinson, Steve Carell, Chris Pine, Kristen Stewart, Nicole Kidman, and Julia Roberts, all of whom were there to promote their new projects.

A Star Is Born arrives in theaters October 5; the soundtrack, featuring Gaga and Cooper, is released the same day. The Oscar buzz for the project is already reaching deafening levels.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Monday
Sep172018

Tiffany Haddish, Kevin Hart hit back at Katt Williams after he dismisses Haddish's career

ABC/Paula Lobo(LOS ANGELES) -- After Katt Williams dismissed Tiffany Haddish's comedic skills in a recent interview, Haddish and Kevin Hart are both hitting back at Williams with some classy responses.

In the interview, Williams criticized Haddish's celebrity status, saying she's hasn't yet proven her comedic abilities.

“You can’t tell me your favorite Tiffany Haddish joke. Why? Because she ain’t done a tour yet,” Williams said. “She ain’t done a special, she has not proven the ability to tell jokes back-to-back for an hour to nobody. And they all ready to down Mo’Nique and up somebody who has shown them Girls Trip. Do you think she wrote Girls Trip, goofball?”

However, Katt is incorrect: Haddish debuted her first stand-up comedy special, Tiffany Haddish: She Ready! From the Hood to Hollywood last year on Showtime. She's also signed a deal with Netflix for a new one-hour special, set to launch in early 2019.

After Williams' comments went viral, Hart took to Instagram Live, captured by Hollywood Unlocked, to defend his Night School co-star.

“I have to embrace my sister when other people are choosing to frown and make an attempt to sh** on my sister’s bright light,” Hart said.

Without mentioning Katt's name, he continued, “At the height of her career when most should applaud when most should celebrate, some choose to down.”

Haddish, who won her first Emmy last weekend -- as did Williams -- decided to take the high road in her response to Williams’ comments.

“It’s official I made it! [Katt Williams] talked about me and didn’t have his facts right!” she tweeted. “I look forward to seeing you on Monday, Katt, when we pick up our Emmys. I just want to shower you with REAL love cause you need it, and I love you.”

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Monday
Sep172018

'Crazy Rich Asians' and 'A Simple Favor' star Henry Golding says his wife "doesn't stop teasing" him about newfound fame

Henry Golding, Constance Wu - ABC/Paul Hebert(NEW YORK) -- Henry Golding landed two starring roles for his first two films ever -- in the mega box office hit Crazy Rich Asians and the just-released thriller A Simple Favor -- but don’t think the newfound fame and "heartthrob" status are going to his head. Not if his wife has anything to do with it!

“Oh man she doesn’t stop teasing me about it,” he says of his wife of two years, Liv Lo. “Whenever she sees me on my phone, she’s like, ‘Oh you’re still checking to see if you’re still famous?’”

He adds that she’s been nothing but supportive with his whirlwind schedule these days.

“She doesn’t have a classic 9-to-5 either so she understands the need to have a very sporadic schedule,” he says. “So it’s a learning process for both of us, but I think we’re gonna enjoy the ride, we’re gonna see where this leads.”

While in real life his marriage is #relationshipgoals, his marriage in A Simple Favor is another story. He plays professor Sean Townsend, the husband to Blake Lively’s volatile Emily. When Emily goes missing, Sean strikes up a relationship with her best friend Stephanie, played by Anna Kendrick.

Golding says he enjoyed playing a character so different from good guy Nick Young in Crazy Rich Asians.

“Is he a bad guy? Is he a good guy? You don’t know,” he says of Sean. “So for me that was wonderful to play that, like a mysterious kind of Cary Grant in Suspicion. Not really knowing did he do it, didn’t he do it, what’s he done? So, yeah, it was great.” 

A Simple Favor is in theaters now.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Monday
Sep172018

Darren Criss could win Emmy gold tonight for playing "fascinating" killer in 'The Assassination of Gianni Versace'

FX(NEW YORK) -- Following in the footsteps of the highly-rated, Emmy-winning The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story, producer Ryan Murphy's follow-up, The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story, could also win Emmy gold tonight.

Inspired by actual events, Assassination centers on the murder of the world-famous designer by Andrew Cunanan, a con man and brutal spree killer who murdered four people prior to killing Versace.  He became the subject of a nationwide manhunt that landed him on the FBI's Most Wanted List before he fatally shot himself on July 23rd, 1997.

The drama has scored 18 Emmy nominations -- the most of any limited series this year -- including Outstanding Supporting Actor noms for Edgar Ramirez, who plays the doomed lead character, and Ricky Martin, who plays his lover. Penelope Cruz and Judith Light also were recognized in the Outstanding Supporting actress category.

Glee veteran Darren Criss was nominated in the lead actor category for playing Cunanan, and he tells ABC Radio what drew him to the part. 

"I'm in the business of...feelings, and psychology," he explains. "So getting to get your hands on somebody who had such a massive array of emotions and, and thought processes that were so close to being the best of us, but were just 'off' enough to be the other side of that? That's fascinating."

He continues, "[Cunanan] was such a chameleonic liar that you just -- we just don't know what's true or what's not. So you have to...stick to the sort of emotional core of...things that happened to him, and...that happened to people around him." 

The 70th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards air tonight at 8 p.m. ET on NBC.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Monday
Sep172018

Tom Arnold claims 'Apprentice' producer Mark Burnett "choked" him; Burnett's wife Roma Downey says Arnold "ambushed" them

ABC/Randy Holmes(NEW YORK) -- A bizarre confrontation reportedly unfolded last night between Apprentice creator Mark Burnett and actor Tom Arnold. The actor is hosting a new show called Hunt for the Trump Tapes, about his search for never-before-seen footage from President Trump's time on the NBC reality show. 

At a pre-Emmys party, Arnold claims, he scuffled with the producer, who also created hits like Shark Tank and Survivor.

"Mark Burnett just went apes*** & choked me at this huge Emmy party then he ran away with his torn Pink shirt & missing gold chain," Arnold tweeted, adding, "I'm waiting for the LAPD."

However, Burnett's wife, actress Roma Downey, tweeted out a picture of a bruise she reportedly suffered as a result of what she called Arnold's "ambush."

She posted, "Tom Arnold tried to ambush my husband Mark and me at a charity event. Is your TV show worth it. Tom please stop."

Arnold literally called B.S. on her claims, and added, "You lie your crazy husband attacked me you psycho. I’m filing police report & suing you for defamation."

The Hunt for the Trump tapes is scheduled to debut Tuesday on Vice, which has some witnesses wondering if the scuffle was a stunt to promote the show -- especially because both stars reportedly attended the event as planned after the alleged scuffle.

Arnold also claimed, "Kevin Bacon is a reliable brawl witness."

Burnett has maintained that no such controversial tapes of Trump exist, but claims he can't release the unedited footage of the show for legal reasons.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Monday
Sep172018

Is Joaquin Phoenix's 'Joker' taking a poke at Ben Affleck's Batman?

Warner Bros.(LOS ANGELES) -- Fans got our first look at Joaquin Phoenix as the Joker in the as yet untitled origin film on Sunday, though the name of the character's alter ego is making headlines, too.

The movie's co-writer and director, Todd Phillips shared a picture of Phoenix, sans makeup, on Instagram, along with the caption, "Arthur" -- presumably the villain's name before becoming Batman's archnemesis.

Interestingly, it was famous comic book fan Kevin Smith who noticed something about this version of the Joker's name. He posted to Twitter: "Apparently, in the forthcoming #Joker movie, the Joker’s real name is Arthur Fleck. As in A. Fleck. Now THAT’S funny." Of course, Smith's buddy Ben Affleck was the most recent star to don the Dark Knight's cape and cowl, though rumor is he won't be reprising again for another project called The Batman.

Deadline reports Robert De Niro is reportedly in talks to co-star alongside Phoenix, in Joker, which is slated for a 2019 release.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Monday
Sep172018

Matthew Perry reveals he's been in the hospital for three months following surgery

ABC/Randy Holmes(LOS ANGELES) -- Matthew Perry revealed this weekend that he's been in the hospital for the past three months recovering from gastrointestinal surgery. 

In his first tweet in six months, the former Friends actor wrote, "Three months in a hospital. Check."

A source tells People that Perry is "going home finally."

The news comes a month after his rep released a statement explaining Perry "underwent surgery in a Los Angeles hospital to repair a gastrointestinal perforation.”

“He is grateful for the concern and asks for continued privacy as he [heals],” the statement read.

A gastrointestinal perforation is when someone develops a hole in their stomach, large intestine, or small intestine. It can be caused by a number of diseases or an outside wound. Recovery usually takes a few months. 

Perry has been vocal about his health issues throughout his career, including his addiction to drugs and alcohol. 

“I couldn’t stop,” Perry said in an interview with People back in 2013. “Eventually things got so bad that I couldn’t hide it, and then everybody knew.”

Perry added, “Getting sober is a really hard thing to do."

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Monday
Sep172018

Soon-Yi Previn defends Woody Allen against sexual assault claims; accuses Mia Farrow of abuse

Photo by Rebecca Smeyne/Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- Soon-Yi Previn, the wife of Woody Allen, is speaking out in defense of the filmmaker in response to sexual assault claims lodged against him by his adoptive daughter Dylan Farrow and ex-partner Mia Farrow, and that she suffered years of abuse at the hands of her mother.

In an article published in New York Magazine's website, Vulture, Previn -- the adopted daughter of Farrow and Andre Previn -- says she was "never interested in writing a Mommie Dearest, getting even with Mia -- none of that," explaining that "what's happened to Woody is so upsetting, so unjust.

Previn accuses Mia of "taking advantage of the #MeToo movement and parading Dylan as a victim."

Dylan denies the accusations in a statement to Vulture, calling implications she was manipulated by her mom Mia "offensive."

"This only serves to revictimize me. Thanks to my mother, I grew up in a wonderful home," adds Dylan.

Daphne Merkin, who wrote the Vulture story acknowledges that she's been "friends with Allen for over four decades."

Dylan's brother Ronan, also issued a statement, obtained by The Hollywood Reporter, in response to the story, praising Mia as "a devoted mom who went through hell for her family all while creating a loving home for us." He accuses Woody of "planting stories that attack and vilify my mother to deflect from my sister’s credible allegation of abuse."

"As a brother and a son," he continues, "I’m angry that New York Magazine would participate in this kind of a hit job, written by a longtime admirer and friend of Woody Allen’s."

Dylan also tweeted a lengthy statement, lashing out at the magazine.

"The idea of letting a friend of an alleged predator write a one-sided piece attacking the credibility of his victim is disgusting.

A rep for the magazine defended the article in a statement obtained by THR, noting, "Daphne Merkin’s relationship to Woody Allen is disclosed and is a part of the story, as is Soon-Yi’s reason for speaking out now. I would add that Daphne approached Soon-Yi about doing this piece, not vice-versa. We reached out to both Mia and Dylan Farrow for comment; Dylan chose to speak through her representative. The story is transparent about being told from Soon-Yi’s point of view."

Allen has long denied the allegations of sexual abuse, which were first leveled in 1993.

Soon-Yi also alleges in the Vulture story that her mother abused her as a child, claiming, among other things, that Mia became impatient with her while trying to teach her the alphabet to the point of throwing wooden blocks "at me or down on the floor."

Added Previn, "Who can learn under that pressure?"

Previn -- now 47 -- reportedly began dating the 82-year-old Allen when she was around 21. They married in 1997.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Monday
Sep172018

'The Predator' tops the box office with disappointing $24 million debut

20th Century Fox(LOS ANGELES) -- The Predator topped the weekend box office, delivering an estimated $24 million in its opening weekend -- marking the lowest debut for a live-action film opening in over 4,000 theaters. Even 2010's Predators which opened in 2,669 theaters, did better, earning $24.76 million.

Overseas, the sci-fi film -- starring Trevante Rhodes, Sterling K. Brown, Keegan-Michael Key, Olivia Munn and Boyd Holbrook -- grabbed $30.7 million.

The Nun dropped to second place in its second week of release, with an estimated $18.2 million and is on the verge of becoming the fourth film in The Conjuring franchise to top $100 million domestically. Internationally, the sci-fi horror flick added $33.1 million, bringing its worldwide totals to $143.6 million.

The second of this weekend's new releases, A Simple Favor, starring Anna Kendrick and Blake Lively, bowed in third place with an estimated $16 million haul. It was followed in fourth place by another newcomer, Matthew McConaughey's White Boy Rick, delivering an estimated $8.7 million.

Rounding out the top five was Crazy Rich Asians, earning an estimated $8.7 million, bringing its domestic totals to just under $150 million.

The weekend's final major release, Unbroken: Path to Redemption, posted a disappointing ninth place finish, earning an estimated $2.35 million.

Here are the top 10 movies from Friday through Sunday, with estimated domestic box office earnings:

1. The Predator, $24 million
2. The Nun, $18.2 million
3. A Simple Favor, $16 million
4. White Boy Rick, $8.8 million
5. Crazy Rich Asians, $8.7 million
6. Peppermint, $6 million
7. The Meg, $3.8 million
8. Searching, $3.2 million
9. Unbroken: Path to Redemption, $2.35 million
10. Mission: Impossible -- Fallout, $2.3 million

(Note: trailer contains sporadic uncensored profanity.)

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Friday
Sep142018

Anthony Mackie apologizes to fans after Hurricane Florence cancels his Comic Con Africa appearance

ABC/Lorenzo Bevilaqua(ATLANTA) -- Hurricane Florence has officially grounded the Falcon.

On Comic Con Africa's official Instagram page, Avengers star Anthony Mackie announced he had to cancel his scheduled appearance at the event in South Africa due to Hurricane Florence's making landfall in the U.S.

"I'm so sorry I couldn't make it," Mackie said in the message to fans attending the three-day comic book and pop culture convention, which started on Friday.

"With all the weather, traveling across the Atlantic — it kind of pushed my plans back a little bit," Mackie continued.

In the caption of the post, event organizers promised to make it up to his fans.

"Fans who purchased autograph sessions and photo ops will be able to attain a refund or swap the ticket for another guest," the caption read.

Anthony is the third major star to withdraw from the festival. Aquaman star Jason Momoa and Star Trek and Battlestar Galactica actor Rick Worthy previously cancelled their appearances as well.  

Comic Con Africa takes place today through Sunday at the Kyalami Grand Prix and International Convention Centre. Other stars set to appear include The Big Bang Theory’s Kevin Sussman and American Gods star Demore Barnes.  

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.







ABC News Radio