SEARCH

Wednesday
Aug162017

"Bachelor in Paradise" recap: Evan and Carly get married, the cast addresses the shutdown and gets back to the beach

ABC/Paul Hebert(LOS ANGELES) -- The second night of the fourth-season premiere of Bachelor in Paradise got underway Tuesday with a wedding and an earnest conversation about the infamous production shutdown.

Host Chris Harrison announced the highly anticipated wedding of Evan and Carly and kicked off the show with a series of flashbacks of the happy couple, the highlight being Evan’s proposal.

We were then treated to flashbacks of other couples who fell in love and got married on the various Bachelor-related shows. There were scenes from the weddings of Trista and Ryan Sutter, who met on season one of the Bachelorette; Jason Mesnick and Molly Malaney, from the Bachelor, season 13; Ashley Hebert and J.P. Rosenbaum from the Bachelorette, season 7; Jade and Tanner Tolbert who fell in love on Bachelor in Paradise season two; and Sean Lowe and Catherine Giudici from the season seven of the Bachelor.

After, Harrison officiated at Evan and Carly's wedding at Playa Escondita resort in Mexico, where the show is filmed. The couple exchanged their own humorous vows, as Evan referred to Carly as an ocean he would never stop exploring and Carly called Evan her lobster. Harrison then made it official and pronounced man and wife.

When the show returned, so did the cast, minus DeMario Jackson and Corinne Olympios. The group sat down on the beach with Harrison and talked about what happened, without getting into specific details. It became clear that there was some concern about DeMario and Corinne’s behavior, but what was of greater importance was an open discussion about behavior when consuming alcohol, race, “slut-shaming” and the nature of consent. Whatever went down between DeMario and Corinne, it was clear that the rest of the cast was going forward newly enlightened.

The rest of the show focused on the cast picking up where they left off after the production shutdown. In the 10 days since they'd been away, some people got closer while others drifted apart. The men and women paired off into two groups, casually chatting about where they stand and who they’re interested in.

So far, it looks like Derek and Taylor are going to mate for life, as the two hit it off and were inseparable. Dean and Kristina and Matt and Jasmine both looked like they were going to follow suit, but by the end of the episode, it was not clear how solid their bonds were, with Dean expressing doubt about things with Kristina and Matt uncertain about committing to Jasmine.

Meanwhile, other two cast members are looking like they’re on thin ice before the rose ceremony next week. Alex seemed to be annoying Amanda, and Lacey cried, saying she wasn’t connecting with anyone so far. However, as the show closed, scenes from upcoming episodes indicate that the group is about to expand with new additions of single men and women.

Bachelor in Paradise airs Mondays at 8 p.m. on ABC.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Tuesday
Aug152017

"Bachelor in Paradise" stars get hitched on Tuesday's special episode

ABC(LOS ANGELES) -- It's a wedding made in paradise! Bachelor in Paradise stars Carly Waddell and Evan Bass got engaged at the end of last season, and on Tuesday, we'll see them get hitched on a special episode. A little warning though: have plenty of tissues handy.

It all went down in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, and the newlyweds tell ABC Radio that you're going to see a lot of tears -- mostly from Bass.

"She's not a crier, and I was like, you gotta, come one, I don't care if you have to put drops or something," he says. "And she gave me one tear."

"I did one while we were walking off," Waddell explains. "I said look look it happened, I had one." 

The two recently announced that they're expecting their first child together. Bass has three sons from a previous relationship.

The Bachelor in Paradise two-night season four premiere continues Tuesday at 8 p.m. ET on ABC.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Tuesday
Aug152017

Friends of stuntwoman killed on "Deadpool 2" set mourn "an extraordinary woman" 

20th Century Fox(LOS ANGELES) -- The motorcycle racing team that was home to Joi "SJ" Harris, the stunt performer killed on the set Deadpool 2 in Canada Monday, has posted a statement on Facebook.

"We are deeply saddened and heartbroken by the loss," the statement begins, calling Harris, "an extraordinary woman with a passion for riding and motorsports," with a "beautiful spirit and bubbly personality," who, "will be remembered for her ground breaking career as the first African American female road racer."

The statement goes on: "She was living her dream, when her life was suddenly cut short while filming as a stunt rider. She will be dearly missed by her race fans all over the world. We ask that you respect the privacy of her family and friends, as we mourn her loss."

Harris, 40, died when she apparently lost control of her motorcycle and crashed through a plate glass window.

Her Facebook page notes the racer was still recovering from surgery in June for a broken wrist. Her first race back after the operation was just last month. Afterward, she posted, "I needed to prove to MYSELF that I didn't lose my heart for the sport," adding, "I KNEW MY WRIST WASN'T 100% YET I NEEDED MY HEART TO BE?" 

On Monday, Deadpool 2 star Ryan Reynolds himself tweeted a statement, saying in part he and others were "heartbroken, shocked and devastated…but recognize nothing can come close to the grief and inexplicable pain her family and loves ones must feel in this moment.  My heart pours out to them – along with each and every person she touched in this world."

Deadpool 2, which also stars Josh Brolin, opens next year.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Tuesday
Aug152017

"Bachelor in Paradise" host Chris Harrison addresses production shutdown amid misconduct allegations

ABC/Lou Rocco(LOS ANGELES) -- After a temporary halt in production last June for this season of Bachelor in Paradise amid allegations of sexual misconduct that were ultimately disproven, the show's new season debuted on ABC Monday night.

Host Chris Harrison addressed the incident -- which involved then-contestants Corinne Olympios and DeMario Jackson -- in an interview that aired on Good Morning America Tuesday.

"You will see that Corinne and DeMario had very little to do with the entire incident as far as filing a complaint or allegations against one another," Harrison said. "And that's what created this frustrating situation. It was someone who really wasn't there and didn't see or hear anything that kind of got this ball rolling, and so it was kind of this domino effect that I guess led to us having to finally say, 'Look, we need to take everybody's safety and that is the utmost importance.'"

Shooting on the season resumed after production company Warner Bros. completed an investigation, noting the accusations weren't supported by evidence.

Bachelor in Paradise aired the arrival of Olympios and Jackson in Mexico, along with the rest of the cast, and showed the pair spending time together in the first episode. But producers confirmed to ABC News the show will not air the controversial footage that led to the shutdown, and that neither Olympos nor Jackson will return to the show. 

However, Harrison said both Olympios and Jackson will get a chance on the show to clear the air concerning the alleged incident and its aftermath.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Tuesday
Aug152017

Tune in: "Greenleaf" season two resumes tonight

Courtesy of OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network

(NEW YORK) -- After a short hiatus, the much-anticipated second season return of Greenleaf has finally arrived. The Memphis megachurch drama returns to OWN with a two-night premiere starting at 10 p.m. ET.

The show, which centers on the Greenleaf family and their estranged daughter, Grace Greenleaf, is set to pick up right where the midseason finale left off in May. Grace, played by Merle Dandridge, finds herself intrigued by a journalist, played by Rick Fox, who's been covering the threats plaguing the Greenleaf family. In the season's second half, we'll find out how the pair's relationship has evolved. 

"People really identify with Grace," Dandridge told ABC Radio last May.  "I didn't expect it -- I don't know why I didn't expect it as much as it does happen. People walk up to me regularly to tell me very personal stories. And for that, that's everything you want as an artist and really as a human being that people share their humanity with you."

After tonight's premiere, Greenleaf will air in its regular night, Wednesdays at 10 p.m. ET.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Tuesday
Aug152017

"Walking Dead" co-creator & producers sue AMC over profits

AMC/Jordin Althaus(LOS ANGELES) -- The Walking Dead co-creator, Robert Kirkman, who wrote the comics on which the show is based, and three of the show's producers have sued AMC for breach of contract, among other claims, accusing the network of failing to make good on payments Kirkman and the producers say they are owed.

The suit, filed Monday in Superior Court in Los Angeles, alleges that AMC used corporate accounting and deals among its various related companies to avoid payouts on profit sharing and licensing agreements.

The parties are seeking damages to be determined at trial, but The Hollywood Reporter says potential damages could reach a billion dollars.

An earlier suit, brought by co-creator Frank Darabont, who was fired as an executive producer during The Walking Dead's second season seeks $280 million in payments, according to The Hollywood Reporter. That suit is already in the early stages of litigation.

In a statement to the industry trade publication, an AMC rep said, "These kinds of lawsuits are fairly common in entertainment and they all have one thing in common – they follow success. Virtually every studio that has had a successful show has been the target of litigation like this, and The Walking Deadhas been the #1 show on television for five years in a row, so this is no surprise. We have enormous respect and appreciation for these plaintiffs, and we will continue to work with them as partners, even as we vigorously defend against this baseless and predictably opportunistic lawsuit."

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Tuesday
Aug152017

Taylor Swift & team triumphant; jury sides with her against deejay

iStock/ThinkStock

(DENVER) -- It's over, and Taylor Swift has come out the winner.

A jury in Colorado has unanimously rejected former deejay David Mueller's claim that Taylor's mother Andrea Swift and her manager Frank Bell were responsible for him losing his job, after Taylor said he groped her backstage during a 2013 meet-and-greet.

In addition, the jury has found for Taylor in her counter claim of sexual assault and battery against Mueller. They have agreed to award her $1 in nominal damages.

After the verdict was announced, Taylor released a statement saying, "I want to thank Judge William J. Martinez and the jury for their careful consideration, my attorneys Doug Baldridge, Danielle Foley, Jay Schaudies and Katie Wright for fighting for me and anyone who feels silenced by a sexual assault, and especially anyone who offered their support throughout this four-year ordeal and two-year long trial process." 

She added, "I acknowledge the privilege that I benefit from in life, in society and in my ability to shoulder the enormous cost of defending myself in a trial like this. My hope is to help those whose voices should also be heard. Therefore, I will be making donations in the near future to multiple organizations that help sexual assault victims defend themselves."

The trial, which began last week, pitted Taylor's claims that Mueller lifted her skirt and grabbed her bare butt, against his claims that he'd been falsely accused, and was owed the remainder of the money left on his contract when he was terminated from his job at a Denver radio station.

Initially, Mueller sued Taylor, her mom and her manager, but the judge threw out the suit against Taylor last week, saying there was no evidence to show she was involved in his termination.  Taylor counter-sued, claiming assault and battery for "offensive and harmful physical contact."

During her testimony, a defiant Taylor told Mueller's attorney, "I’m not going to allow you or your client to make me feel like this was my fault, because it isn’t. I’m being blamed for the unfortunate events of his life that are a product of his decisions. Not mine.”

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Monday
Aug142017

You've got a (super) friend: Netflix releases hard-hitting final "Defenders" trailer

Netflix/Sarah Shatz(NEW YORK) -- Charlie Cox's "blind ninja" Daredevil, Mike Colter's unbreakable Luke Cage, Krysten Ritter's hard-hitting, hard-drinking Jessica Jones, and Finn Jones' indestructible Iron Fist go to work in the final trailer to Neflix's Marvel team-up series, The Defenders.

The show centers on the four heroes from the streaming service, and early word is the eight-episode project keeps things tight and gets things right, especially after the lukewarm reception earned by the most recent Netflix superhero series, Iron Fist.

The new trailer offers a better sense of the Marvel Comics' take on the unlikely quartet: when they're not beating up baddies, they're busting each others' chops. "I'm not looking for superfriends," Cage says at one point, teasing a DC Comics-based series of the same name. 

Sigourney Weaver stars this time around as a mysterious, powerful villain looking to take down the heroes -- and the rest of their Big Apple stomping grounds -- along with returning cast member Elodie Yung, who plays the reincarnated swordswoman Electra -- Matt Murdoch/Daredevil's former flame-turned frenemy. Also returning is Scott Glenn as Stick, Daredevil and Elektra's former mentor.

The full series is available for streaming August 18.

Marvel's owned by Disney, parent company of ABC News.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Monday
Aug142017

Stunt performer killed on "Deadpool 2" set 

20th Century Fox(LOS ANGELES) -- The Vancouver Police Department has confirmed that a stunt performer was killed on the set of the Ryan Reynolds-starring sequel, Deadpool 2

TMZ reports the as-yet-unidentified female stunt driver crashed a motorcycle into a glass window of a downtown Vancouver building called Shaw Tower. 

She was taken from the scene to the hospital, the gossip site noted. 

A spokesman for 20th Century Fox, Deadpool 2's distributor, released the following statement to ABC News: “We are deeply saddened by the accident that occurred on the set of Deadpool 2 this morning. Our hearts and prayers are with the family, friends and colleagues of our crew member during this difficult time."

Deadpool 2 star Ryan Reynolds himself also tweeted a statement, saying in part he and others were "heartbroken, shocked and devastated…but recognize nothing can come close to the grief and inexplicable pain her family and loves ones must feel in this moment.  My heart pours out to them – along with each and every person she touched in this world.”

The accident comes a day after a video revealed Tom Cruise slammed against a building and was apparently injured in a stunt mishap on the set of Mission: Impossible 6, and a little more than a month after accomplished stuntman John Bernecker died after a falling gag went wrong on the Senoia, Georgia set of The Walking Dead.

Deadpool 2, which also stars Josh Brolin, is slated for a 2018 release.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Monday
Aug142017

"Yes, he is": Taylor Swift defiant as Mueller's attorney presents closing arguments

iStock/ThinkStock

(DENVER) -- In a Denver court Monday, former deejay David Mueller's attorney insisted there's no way he could've groped Taylor Swift, while the singer silently insisted he did just that.

Mueller is suing Taylor Swift's mother, Andrea Swift, and Taylor's manager for allegedly getting him fired after Taylor accused him of grabbing her butt during a 2013 backstage meet-and-greet, which he denies he did. He was suing Taylor for the same reason, but the judge threw out that part of the case Friday. Taylor's counter-suing for assault and battery.

During attorney Gabe McFarland's closing arguments, he insisted Mueller wouldn't have jeopardized his "dream job" at a Denver station by touching the butt of someone as famous as Taylor, noting "That's not the kind of guy who grabs a superstar out of the blue."

McFarland also said that in the photo of Taylor, Mueller and Mueller's then-girlfriend that shows the alleged groping, there's no way Mueller is reaching under Taylor's skirt.  But in the courtroom, Taylor silently mouthed, "Yes, he is."  Taylor also repeatedly rolled her eyes and sighed during McFarland's statements.

McFarland referenced Taylor's face in the photo, saying, "Look at Ms. Swift's face. Is that the face of someone who just had a strange man grab their butt?"   He also said that the photographer who took the picture couldn't have seen anything, but is saying she did because she worked for Taylor. 

In addition, McFarland claimed Taylor's bodyguard took no action during the alleged incident because he didn't see anything amiss.  Taylor shook her head "no" at that assertion.

McFarland said the jury should award Mueller $250,000 in damages, even though the judge ruled last week that he cannot receive damages for future earnings, only for the remainder of his contract at the time he was fired.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.







ABC News Radio