(LOS ANGELES) -- Gravity topped the weekend box office, earning an estimated $55.6 million in its opening weekend.
The 3D science fiction thriller stars George Clooney as an astronaut and Sandra Bullock as a medical engineer who work together to survive stranded in space.
Gravity's weekend earnings rank as the biggest October debut ever, according to the Los Angeles Times.
In second place at the box office was Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 with $21.5 million, followed by Runner Runner with $7.6 million.
Below are the top ten films from this weekend's box office according to boxofficemojo.com:
1. Gravity: $55.6 million
2. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2: $21.5 million
3. Runner Runner: $7.6 million
4. Prisoners: $5.7 million
5. Rush: $4.4 million
6. Don Jon: $4.2 million
7. Baggage Claim: $4.1 million
8. Insidious Chapter 2: $3.9 million
9. Pulling Strings: $2.5 million
10. Enough Said: $2.2 million
Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio