SEARCH
« "X-Files" unveils season-11 trailer at New York Comic Con | Main | "Blade Runner 2049" sprints to box office-topping $31.5 million weekend »
Monday
Oct092017

Harvey Weinstein terminated after allegations of misconduct 

GC Images/Raymond Hall(NEW YORK) -- Harvey Weinstein has been fired from The Weinstein Company after allegations of misconduct surfaced this week, according to a statement from the company's board of directors.

"In light of new information about misconduct by Harvey Weinstein that has emerged in the past few days, the directors of The Weinstein Company -- Robert Weinstein, Lance Maerov, Richard Koenigsberg and Tarak Ben Ammar -- have determined, and have informed Harvey Weinstein, that his employment with The Weinstein Company is terminated, effective immediately," read a statement from the company's board of directors that was released Sunday night.

On Thursday, The New York Times published a report alleging that several women, including actress Ashley Judd, had made accusations against Weinstein. The producer disputed the report but immediately apologized for misconduct and announced that he would be taking a leave of absence from his company.

The New York Times, in addition to reporting the claims of sexual harassment or unwanted physical contact against Weinstein, cited two anonymous company officials saying that the famed studio executive reached at least eight settlements with accusers.

The Weinstein Company board of directors had said Friday evening that the company would launch its own investigation into the claims and that Weinstein would be on "indefinite" leave.

Weinstein’s lawyer said in a statement this week that he plans to sue The New York Times.

The New York Times published today a story that is saturated with false and defamatory statements about Harvey Weinstein,” attorney Charles J. Harder said in a statement on Thursday. “It relies on mostly hearsay accounts and a faulty report, apparently stolen from an employee personnel file, which has been debunked by nine different eyewitnesses. We sent the Times the facts and evidence, but they ignored it and rushed to publish. We are preparing the lawsuit now. All proceeds will be donated to women’s organizations.”

On Saturday attorney Lisa Bloom announced on Saturday she is no longer working with Harvey Weinstein.

Bloom, who says she has known Weinstein for about a year since her book Suspicion Nation was optioned for a film, defended him last week in an interview with Good Morning America.

"He's a big, loud guy. People are intimidated by him. I'm not. I'm a big-mouth lawyer myself. I'll stand up to him, but if I'm a 23-year-old in his workplace... of course, they're intimidated," she explained.

The attorney and women's rights advocate added that with regard to "a lot of the allegations, there are witnesses who say this did not happen."

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.







ABC News Radio