SEARCH

Entries in Colorado Shooting (3)

Thursday
Jul262012

Release of "Gangster Squad" Postponed After Colorado Massacre

Amy T. Zielinski/Getty Images(LOS ANGELES) -- Just days after Warner Bros. said it would be making edits in its upcoming thriller, Gangster Squad, the studio announced it would be pushing back the film's September opening, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

In the wake of the Colorado movie theater massacre, the studio said it needed time to do a reshoot of scenes that would be considered to be in poor taste in light of the tragedy.

The film is about the Los Angeles Police Department's attempts to take-down the Mafia in the '40s and '50s.  It includes a violent shoot-out that was filmed at Grauman's Chinese Theater.  The scene was briefly featured in a trailer for the movie that the studio quickly pulled immediately after the Colorado shootings. 

Warner Bros. may release the film in January if they can get the reshoots done in time.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Friday
Jul202012

Despite 'Senseless Tragedy,' Batman Flick Still Poised to Do Well

DC ComicsPhoto by Ron Phillips(NEW YORK) --  Christopher Nolan, director of The Dark Knight Rises, is calling the mass shooting at a midnight showing of the film in Aurora, Colo. that left at least 12 people dead and injured 59 a "senseless tragedy."

"Speaking on behalf of the cast and crew of The Dark Knight Rises, I would like to express our profound sorrow at the senseless tragedy that has befallen the entire Aurora community," he said in a statement released by his publicist Friday. "I would not presume to know anything about the victims of the shooting but that they were there last night to watch a movie. I believe movies are one of the great American art forms and the shared experience of watching a story unfold on screen is an important and joyful pastime."

"The movie theatre is my home," he continued, "and the idea that someone would violate that innocent and hopeful place in such an unbearably savage way is devastating to me. Nothing any of us can say could ever adequately express our feelings for the innocent victims of this appalling crime, but our thoughts are with them and their families."

Despite the tragedy, analysts say the film is likely to do well at the box office over the weekend.

"This is an unprecedented situation, but I believe the true fans still want to see this movie," said Paul Dergarabedian, president of Hollywood.com's box office division. "The people who bought their tickets online, who opted for the presale, I don't see them giving up their tickets."

Much of the weekend has been presold; the movie made $30 million in presale tickets and shows in many cities are sold out through Sunday. That $30 million will get factored into Friday's numbers, which are expected to be released Saturday morning.

Some box-office analysts previously believed the final installment of director Christopher Nolan's trilogy could top the record-breaking, $207.4 million debut of The Avengers. Dergarabedian thinks something in the more modest but still impressive range of $150 million is likely.

"Only five movies in history at this point have done a $150 million or more opening weekend," he noted.

The Dark Knight, the second movie in Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy, made $158 million during its 2008 opening weekend.

Yahoo movies contributing editor Thelma Adams said the tragedy will take a bite out of the weekend gross.

"You have to preface it by saying it's only money," she said, "and we're dealing with lives that have been lost. That said, there will be some domestic underperformance. It is going to hurt."

Some theaters are offering to refund those who bought tickets early. AMC released a statement Friday saying it will exchange and refund tickets per the chain's existing policy. It also banned moviegoers in "costumes that make other guests feel uncomfortable" and said it "will not permit face-covering masks or fake weapons inside our buildings."

Suspected shooter James Holmes had painted his hair red and told cops, "I am the Joker," when apprehended.

Yahoo's Adams said the massacre would not likely affect the movie's global gross. The last Batman film, 2008's The Dark Knight, made almost as much internationally, $469 million, as it did in the United States, $533 million.

"Maybe opening weekend will be a little bit less, but then the drop will not be as great," Adams said.

Warner Bros. canceled the Paris premiere of the film, scheduled for Friday evening, after learning about the shooting. Director Nolan and cast members Christian Bale, Anne Hathaway and Morgan Freeman also scrapped media interviews.

"Warner Bros. and the filmmakers are deeply saddened to learn about this shocking incident," the studio said in a statement. "We extend our sincere sympathies to the families and loved ones of the victims at this tragic time."

Warner Bros. also removed the trailer for the Ryan Gosling film "Gangster Squad," which features a movie theater shooting scene, from screenings of The Dark Knight Rises. The studio pulled some TV ads for the Batman film, according to Bloomberg News. The studio does not plan to pull the movie from theaters.

Many cities are stepping up security at theaters in light of the tragedy. New York City police Commissioner Ray Kelly released a statement Friday morning, saying, "As a precaution against copycats and to raise the comfort levels among movie patrons in the wake of the horrendous shooting in Colorado, the New York City Police Department is providing coverage at theaters where the The Dark Knight Rises is playing in the five boroughs."

Police in Washington, D.C., have been told to provide "special attention" to movie theaters.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Friday
Jul202012

Colorado Shooting Casts Pall on Potato Chip Campaign

ABC/RON TOM(NEW YORK) -- Eva Longoria, the former Desperate Housewives star, said Friday it was difficult to focus on her latest business endeavor after hearing about the Colorado theater shooting early this morning.

“It was so overwhelming. Like the doctor said, you don’t have to be there to have been affected by it,” Longoria said during an appearance Friday on Good Afternoon America.

Originally scheduled to discuss her teaming up with Lay’s Potato Chips on the “Do Us a Flavor” campaign, Longoria, 37, couldn’t help but veer off topic to address the shooting at The Dark Knight Rises premiere.

"We woke up this morning going, ‘What? What happened? What did I miss?’" she said.

“We were launching this campaign today, and it was like, yay, we’re here to say, ‘Win a million dollars,’ and then this happens and you go, ‘That’s how fragile life is in these moments,’” Longoria said.

She has teamed up with Lay’s Potato Chips to find the next great potato chip flavor, and said this is the company’s way of giving back to the consumers.

“Lay’s is really giving back to the consumers by launching this campaign, ‘Do Us a Flavor.’ They’re letting consumers pick the next great flavor of the next potato chip. This is the first time they’re going to do it in the United States. And the winner gets one million dollars,” she explained.

You can go to Facebook.com/Lays to submit as many ideas as you’d like.

Longoria also mentioned how social media is an effective way to stay informed about how to help the victims in Aurora, Colo.

“I was just reading on Twitter ways you can help. They need blood donors. They have so many people in the hospitals. They need certain types of blood,” she said. “The community needs support. You don’t have to be in Colorado to help. Social media is a great way to realize how you can help.”

She also took a moment to answer questions from the GAA audience. One woman asked, “How do you stay in such great shape?”

Longoria replied, laughing, “Eating potato chips.”

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio