SEARCH

Entries in Custody (9)

Thursday
Sep272012

Report: Tom Cruise Yearns to See Daughter Suri in Midst of Intense Film Schedule

James Devaney/WireImage(NEW YORK) -- Like many divorced parents, consistent access to children can be tricky.

According to People magazine, Tom Cruise is one of those dads struggling to align his schedule to spend more time with six-year-old daughter Suri.

"I've got to see her. I miss her," is what an emotional Tom told a friend recently, People reports.  Getting in the way of Tom's day-to-day connection with Suri is the pre-production schedule for his upcoming sci-fi action movie All You Need Is Kill.  Tom has been on location working in London, England as part of a schedule that was booked long ago, sources say.

Several sources confirm to the magazine that a mid-September visit had been planned but later nixed, the magazine reports.  That places the last get together for Tom and Suri at Aug. 5 when they vacationed at Walt Disney World.  Before the divorce, People reports it was easier for the two to spend time as Suri was home-schooled. Now, Suri is attending first grade at a private school in New York City.

Dad and daughter do manage to talk several times a day, People reports.  Friend and screenwriter Christopher McQuarrie confirms, "I can tell you that I haven't had a meeting with Tom that was not interrupted by a phone call with his daughter."

The actor's divorce from Katie Holmes was finalized in August with Katie reportedly received primary physical custody of Suri.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Monday
Aug202012

Custody at Risk After "Toddlers & Tiaras" Star Wears Controversial Outfit

Comstock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- The woman who dressed her young daughter as Dolly Parton -- complete with a padded bra and sculpting underwear -- for a child beauty pageant that aired on TLC's Toddlers & Tiaras could lose custody of the girl after her estranged husband claimed she sexually exploited their daughter by allowing her to dress so provocatively.

Little Maddy Verst's appearance in the costume on an episode of the controversial TLC program sparked a firestorm of criticism against her mother, Lindsay. Her father, Bill Verst, has asked a Kentucky court to grant him sole custody of his daughter, who is now 6.

During a court proceeding Saturday, a judge threw reporters out of the courtroom, closed the hearing and placed a gag order on mother Lindsay Jackson. The judge also imposed a ban on any pageant activity for Maddy or her mother for the duration of the trial.

A court-appointed psychologist has sided with Maddy's father, condemning the Parton costume and recommending that a judge make Verst the girl's sole custodial parent.

Jackson said the costume was never meant to be sexual and that she shouldn't be at risk of losing her daughter.

Jackson dressed her daughter herself in the Dolly Parton costume, telling the TLC show's cameras, "When she wears the fake boobs and the fake butt, it's just like an added extra bonus and it's really funny when she comes out on stage and everybody thinks it's hysterical."

Not everybody thought it was hysterical, however. Some online commenters were quick to express their disgust for the costume and for the perceived sexualization of little girls on the show.

It's not the first time a pageant mother has come under fire on the show.

Wendy Dickey was condemned for dressing her 3-year-old daughter, Paisley, in a racy costume that mimicked the outfit worn by Julia Roberts' prostitute character from the movie Pretty Woman.

The costume consisted of a fitted, skin-baring white blouse, tight blue mini-skirt and thigh-high, shiny black boots. Paisley wore it all -- complete with a blond wig, which Roberts' prostitute character also wore -- and critics and children's advocates erupted in outrage.

The court proceedings in Maddy's custody case resume Aug. 31.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Wednesday
May232012

Melissa Etheridge, Tammy Lynn Michaels Resolve Custody Battle

Paul Warner/Getty Images(LOS ANGELES) -- After some heated bickering from both sides, Melissa Etheridge and her former spouse, Tammy Lynn Michaels, have reached an agreement in their custody battle.

TMZ.com reports that the ex-couple will share joint custody of their five-year-old twins. Michaels will also earn an unspecified increase in partner and child support; she’d been getting $23,000 per month prior to this settlement.

In separate court filings last month, Michaels claimed Etheridge taught their twins to treat her poorly, while the musician alleged Michaels is an “angry and vindictive” woman.

Etheridge and Michaels split in 2010.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Feb282012

Camille and Kelsey Grammer End Child Custody Dispute

Gregg DeGuire/FilmMagic(LOS ANGELES) -- Kelsey Grammer and his ex-wife, Camille, have reportedly ended their custody battle.

The website TMZ.com reported that the former spouses have amicably settled the issue of custody over their two children, 7-year-old Jude and 10-year-old Mason. The children will live with their mother but have “meaningful” contact with their father, according to the website.

The pair divorced last year after 13 years of marriage, ending one of the nastiest divorce proceedings in Hollywood. Their union virtually disintegrated on camera during the first season of the hit Bravo show The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills, which stars Camille Grammer, 43. Kelsey Grammer, 56, has made appearances on the show.

Those appearances were a “gift” to his ex-wife, he said during an interview on Good Morning America in October.

“That was a way of saying, here’s what you always wanted, I’m gone,” the Emmy winner and former Frasier star said of his ex-wife’s post-divorce fame as a reality star.  “With my grace, go have that famous life you wanted.”

The pair put aside their feuding and agreed to expedite their divorce and allow him to marry his new girlfriend, TMZ.com reported.

Grammer tied the knot with 32-year-old Kayte Walsh -- his fourth wife -- two weeks after his divorce to Camille Grammer was finalized.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Friday
Dec022011

Mindy McCready Ready to 'Go to Jail' for Son

Frederick Breedon/WireImage(CAPE CORAL, Fla.) -- Mindy McCready now faces serious legal trouble after missing a judge's deadline to return her 5-year-old son Zander to Florida, but the troubled country singer has given no indication if or when she plans to bring him home.

Authorities are now calling this case a parental abduction. The FBI has released a missing person poster and Lee County, Fla., family court judge James Seals has signed a new order, telling law enforcement nationwide to take Zander into custody upon sight.

McCready responded by saying she's willing to risk jail to protect her son.

The Florida Department of Children and Families told ABC News, "Once the child is located, we will pick him up and bring him back to Florida. His safety and well-being are our number one priority."

The boy's father and McCready's ex-boyfriend Billy McKnight told NBC Friday that he spoke on the phone with the singer and their boy after the judge's deadline expired.

"He did sound healthy and ok. He wasn't crying or scared," McKnight said about Zander.

"I think she believes she has a case and doesn't realize she's pushing her luck on this one," he added.

McCready has been involved in a messy custody battle over the boy with her mother, Gayle Inge, and her ex. Zander lives in Cape Coral, Fla., with his grandmother, who has legal custody of him. He is allowed to stay with his father on occasion, but can only see McCready on supervised visits.

"Zander is used to being in Florida with me and her mother. I'm worried about him being moved around," McKnight told HLN Thursday.

At some point during a visit on Tuesday, McCready took Zander and fled to Nashville.

Seals ordered McCready to return to Lee County, Fla., by 5 p.m. Thursday, but the singer has now made it clear that she has no intention of doing that.

McCready could face felony charges for violating the court order and taking her son out of state, but right now authorities tell ABC News that they are focused on finding Zander.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

 

Friday
Oct212011

Daniel Baldwin’s Kids Removed From Estranged Wife’s Home

Daniel and Joanne Baldwin in 2009. Michael Kovac/FilmMagic(SALEM, Ore.) -- Just one week after Daniel Baldwin‘s estranged wife Joanne filed for divorce and sought sole custody of the couple’s two daughters, the state of Oregon’s Department of Human Services took action Wednesday night and removed the kids from their mother’s care, E!Online reports.

Daniel Baldwin called the development ”sad,” and said his kids are with a family friend until he returns from shooting a film to take charge of them.   “Sadly I must report that my daughters, Avis and Finley, have been removed from their mother’s home by the Department of Human Services…,” the actor stated through a rep, adding, “DHS is sighting multiple potential improprieties and the children’s welfare as reasons for this action.”

Baldwin added, “I love my beautiful babies and will continue to be the caring protective parent I have always been.”

The actor had dropped his divorce petition two months ago but his wife filed last Thursday. In addition to sole custody, she’s demanding $4,000 a month in child support from the actor as well as a million dollar life insurance policy for the benefit of the children.

After his initial divorce filing, Baldwin obtained a restraining order against Joanne, claiming she had threatened to slit his throat. Joanne Baldwin has served 10 days in jail for drinking while on probation for a prior DUI. The couple wed in July 2007. It’s his third marriage.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Thursday
Apr212011

Charlie Sheen's Behavior Cost Him Custody of Twin Sons

ROBYN BECK/AFP/Getty Images(LOS ANGELES) -- Charlie Sheen's behavior may have played a role in a Los Angeles judge's decision not to grant him sole custody of Bob and Max, the twin boys he has with ex-wife Brooke Mueller.  According to TMZ.com, Judge Hank Goldberg knew Mueller had reportedly been using drugs again, but he was more concerned with Sheen's history of abuse, not to mention the fact he likes to boast about it.

Judge Goldberg rejected Sheen's custody request during a hearing Tuesday.  He reportedly believed Mueller and the former Two and a Half Men star had issues, but that a change in custody wasn't warranted because nannies and family were all available to lend a hand.

RadarOnline.com also reports Judge Goldberg didn't want to award custody to Sheen because he hadn't seen the boys since he launched his Violent Torpedo of Truth/Defeat Is Not an Option tour.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio 

Friday
Mar042011

Sheen Custody Deal Falls Through; Lands Twitter Endorsement Deal

Jeff Vespa/WireImage(NEW YORK) -- Just two days after Charlie Sheen's estranged wife had their twin boys removed from his home, it appeared that the former couple had reached some sort of custody agreement Thursday. But the deal has fallen through.

Sheen tweeted Thursday that he'd "verbally reached a deal" with Brooke Mueller, without elaborating.  Sheen also tweeted that "the opposition felt it necessary to still harass me with old gibberish....odd? perhaps. transparent? you betcha'!"

According to TMZ.com, the deal is off for now because Sheen violated a stipulation that he not discuss the agreement publicly -- he spoke to a Philadelphia radio station in addition to tweeting the news.  TMZ further reports the agreement would've required that a monitor be present when Sheen is with the twins.  The custody issue is now headed for court on Monday.

On another note, Sheen has quickly become a popular celebrity on Twitter this week, attracting one million followers in just 25 hours and 17 minutes, setting a Guinness World Record in the process.

And it will certainly pay for Sheen to be on Twitter.  According to The Hollywood Reporter, he has reached an agreement with Ad.ly, the company that taught him how to use the social networking website, under which he'll make up to one million dollars per year to tweet endorsements.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Wednesday
Mar022011

Sheen's Estranged Wife Gets Restraining Order; Kids Removed from Home

Photo Courtesy - Robyn Beck/AFP/ Getty Images(BEVERLY HILLS, Calif.) -- Charlie Sheen's estranged wife, Brooke Mueller, apparently isn't happy to share their twin boys with his two live-in girlfriends.

TMZ.com reports Mueller visited the Beverly Hills Police Department on Tuesday, hoping they can help her gain physical custody of the children.  However, she was told the department couldn't help her because Sheen doesn't live in Beverly Hills.

Later on Tuesday, TMZ reported Mueller obtained a restraining order requiring Sheen to stay 100 yards away from her.  It also prevents him from speaking to her.

The custody issue wasn't referenced in the order, but both People magazine and RadarOnline report police have removed Sheen's twin boys from his home and returned them to Mueller.  The report says police acted on instructions from a Los Angeles judge to reunite two-year-old twins Bob and Max with their mom.  The website quotes a source as saying Mueller "will have custody of the boys."

Sheen reportedly told RadarOnline as police removed the boys from his home, "My fangs are dripping tiger blood."

To further complicate matters, The Los Angeles Times reports police were summoned to Sheen's home Tuesday night by a security guard who said the actor's former wife Denise Richards had arrived at the house to check on the two daughters she shares with Sheen.  A source tells the newspaper those children were not removed from the home.  It's unclear if they were there to begin with.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio