SEARCH

Entries in George Lucas (8)

Tuesday
Nov132012

George Lucas Explains Disney Sale, New "Star Wars" Movies

Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- In a sit-down interview posted on StarWars.com, George Lucas discusses the sale of his Lucasfilm to Disney, as well as future Star Wars movies led by his hand-picked successor, Kathleen Kennedy.

Lucas and Kennedy have collaborated for decades, most notably on the Indiana Jones series, and he expressed she was the perfect choice to take the reins of his company, which is now part of the Disney empire.

"I felt that I really wanted to put the company somewhere...[that] would protect it," Lucas said of the reported $4.5 billion sale.  "You know, between the parks and all the things they've got going...there are lots and lots of opportunities at Disney that we wouldn't have at any other studio.  When I first made Star Wars, everybody said, 'This is a movie Disney should have made.'"

Part of the Disney deal was that the so-called House of Mouse would be launching a new Star Wars trilogy with Star Wars: Episodes VII, VIII, and IX.

"I get to be a fan now...It's much more fun," laughed Lucas.

Oscar-winning Toy Story 3 writer Michael Arndt has written the treatment for the next three movies, and he'll be writing Episode VII.

Kennedy explained everyone involved with the next trilogy will first and foremost be fans of the saga.

"It's going to be somebody who really appreciates what Star Wars meant to them...[T]he directors who are going to walk into the room and go, 'I can't wait to be a part of this!'" she said.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Oct302012

New "Stars Wars" Movie Coming in 2015 as Disney Buys Lucasfilm

Ron Galella, Ltd./WireImage(NEW YORK) -- The Force will be with us...again.  In a shocking announcement, Star Wars creator George Lucas has announced that he's selling his company Lucasfilm to Disney in a $4.05 billion dollar deal, and part of that deal will include a new Star Wars film, Episode VII, due in 2015.

In a statement, Lucas said, "For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next. It's now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers"

He added, "I've always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime. I'm confident that with Lucasfilm...having a new home within the Disney organization, Star Wars will certainly live on and flourish for many generations to come."

He added that "Disney's reach and experience" will give Lucasfilm the opportunity to "blaze new trails in film, television, interactive media, theme parks, live entertainment, and consumer products."

Since their initial releases, Lucas has continued to tinker with and re-issue different versions of all six Star Wars films, but he never indicated that he would be involved in making a seventh chapter of the saga.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Aug072012

George Lucas Mentors Military Veteran

Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- Capt. Hank Hughes, a decorated platoon leader, served twice in Afghanistan but now has left the military to find a new career. Many others are doing the same: Last year 180,000 troops retired from the military, and this year that number is expected to increase to 300,000.

"You return home in a bit of a time machine," Hughes told ABC News. "Everyone else has moved on, and you've just arrived."

Since he was a kid, Hughes dreamed of becoming a filmmaker. Growing up, Hughes' favorite movies were Star Wars and Indiana Jones.

In college he majored in film but put his dreams on hold for his country. Now, back at home, he's studying to become a director. Hughes says his dream is to make movies for the rest of his life.

As part of the series "Standing Up for Heroes," ABC News worked to find Hughes a mentor who could guide him along his new path. And help came from an American movie legend, the man who created the movies Hughes had admired and adored since childhood: George Lucas.

Click Here for More Information About Standing Up for Heroes

"These guys are heroes, and we need to help them," Lucas told ABC News.

During their first meeting, Lucas started right in with the lessons.

"The first thing you do is come up with an idea," Lucas told Hughes. "The secret of directing is to be persistent."

Most important, Lucas explains, is to enjoy the work you are doing. Lucas even revealed new details to Hughes about the original Star Wars films.

"It wasn't done as a trilogy, it was really done as one movie," Lucas told Hughes. "The script was like 250 pages, and I couldn't crush it down ... so I cut it in three pieces and then it became a sequel."

Join the Veteran Mentor Network on LinkedIn

Hughes described the first meeting with his mentor as "unbelievable."

"It's amazing that George Lucas would ... take that time out of his day to talk to me just because I was a veteran," he said. "I don't know if I could articulate an equal to his action in gratitude. It's fantastic."

The two will meet again in September so that Hughes can show Lucas the movie he is working on in film school. And just like Yoda and Luke Skywalker, their relationship will go on.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Wednesday
May302012

George Lucas: I'm Going to Retire

Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- For years, visionary filmmaker George Lucas has expressed his desire to leave the "Star Wars business" and make smaller films, but in a new interview with the British movie magazine Empire, it seems this time, he's serious.

"I'm moving away from the company," he says of Lucasfilm, the production company responsible for the Star Wars and Indiana Jones sagas.  "I'm moving away from all my businesses, I'm finishing all my obligations and I'm going to retire to my garage with my saw and hammer and build hobby movies."

Lucas, who recently turned 68, and who last produced and self-funded the World War II film Red Tails, says, "I've always wanted to make movies that were more experimental in nature, and not have to worry about them showing in movie theaters."

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Thursday
Jan192012

George Lucas Says He's Retiring from Making Blockbusters

George Lucas pictured on left. VALERY HACHE/AFP/Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- George Lucas, the mastermind behind the Star Wars and Indiana Jones films, says he's done making blockbusters -- with the exception of a possible fifth Indiana Jones film.

In a lengthy interview with The New York Times, Lucas says he's "retiring" and, "moving away from the business" so he can work on smaller, personal projects.

Lucas, who's 67, most certainly will not produce or direct any more Star Wars films.  He seems miffed that devoted fans of the series have complained whenever he's made small revisions to the original releases of the flicks; for example, in the Blu-ray version of Return of the Jedi, he added Darth Vader yelling, "Nooo!" during his climactic scene with the evil Emperor Palpatine.

Lucas says, "Why would I make any more when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?"

Lucas does accept blame for a much-maligned scene in 2008's Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull in which the title character survives a nuclear bomb inside a refrigerator.  Though director Steven Spielberg has said it was his idea, Lucas claims his friend is just trying to "protect" him.

He says he had to convince Spielberg to include the scene by presenting what the Times calls a "dossier" stating his case.  He tells the newspaper, "The odds of surviving that refrigerator -- from a lot of scientists --- are about 50-50."

Lucas produced the World War II drama Red Tails, opening Friday.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Friday
Jul082011

LEGO Building 'Star Wars' Cartoon Special

PRNewsFoto/Mall of America(LOS ANGELES) -- After finding huge success in the video game market with its best-selling Star Wars-branded titles, the LEGO Group and Lucasfilm have teamed up once again for their first-ever original, computer animated TV special.

LEGO Star Wars: The Padawan Menace will premiere on the Cartoon Network on July 22 at 7 p.m. ET/PT.  The 30-minute special will air multiple times on the Cartoon Network during the weekend.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Wednesday
Jun012011

No 'Star Wars' TV Shows Shot Yet, Says George Lucas

Ethan Miller/Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- ABC News Radio has confirmed George Lucas was misquoted by the New York Post and other outlets that claimed the legendary filmmaker had 50 episodes of an anticipated Star Wars live-action TV show "in the can." A Lucasfilm source tells ABC Radio that Lucas and company indeed have 50 scripts written for the program -- which is to be set between the events of 2005's Episode III: Revenge of the Sith and 1977's Episode IV: A New Hope -- but the show itself won't be shot until technological advances could allow the shows to be filmed on a TV-sized budget.  The misquote was borne of an interview Lucas gave to G4's Attack of the Show that also explored the upcoming Star Wars 3D re-releases.

Lucas, who already has a fourth season of the hit Star Wars: The Clone Wars set for release on Cartoon Network this fall, says the live-action shows are written as miniature movies but would need to be shot for one-tenth the budget of a feature film.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Wednesday
Sep292010

Star Wars Films Will Be Going 3D

Photo Courtesy - StarWars.com/ Lucasfilm Ltd.(SAN FRANCISCO) -- Variety reports all six Star Wars films will be converted to 3D and re-released into theaters. The first 3D Star Wars film to hit the big screen will be Episode I: The Phantom Menace sometime in 2012. The Phantom Menace  was originally released in 1999. Creator George Lucas previously updated the special effects of the first three Star Wars films and re-released them theatrically.  The exact release dates for the 3D Star Wars movies have not been announced. At the moment, there are no plans to release the 3D versions on DVD.

Copyright 2010 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio