SEARCH

Entries in Hugh Grant (5)

Saturday
Feb162013

Hugh Grant Announces Son’s Birth on Twitter

Peter Macdiarmid/Getty Images(LONDON) -- Hugh Grant tweeted that he has become a father for the second time.

“Am thrilled my daughter now has a brother. Adore them both to an uncool degree. They have a fab mum,” the actor posted on his Twitter account, @HackedOffHugh, on Saturday.

“To be crystal clear, I am the Daddy,” he wrote in a separate tweet.

Grant’s sometime girlfriend, Tinglan Hong, gave birth to their first child, a girl, in 2011.

“Everyone was right all these years, saying, ‘Hugh, why don’t you have some children? It changes your life.’ And you’re thinking, ‘Oh, shut up,’” Grant, 52, told Ellen DeGeneres last year.

“Now that I have [a child], it is life changing,” he said.

Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio

Friday
Dec142012

Jon Stewart Bans Hugh Grant From "Daily Show"

Peter Macdiarmid/Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- Jon Stewart loves sparring with his Daily Show guests, but there’s one guy he never wants to see on his set again: Hugh Grant.

Last week, at a Montclair, N.J., fundraiser he hosted with his Comedy Central cohort Steven Colbert, Stewart said the British actor acted like a world class diva during a 2009 Daily Show appearance, bossing around people backstage.

“He’s giving everyone s**t the whole time, and he’s a big pain in the ass,” Stewart said.  ”And we’ve had dictators on the show.”

Grant stopped by to promote the movie Did You Hear About the Morgans? but was upset with the film clip Stewart aired on the show.

According to Stewart, Grant said, “What is that clip?  It’s a terrible clip.”  Stewart shot back, ”Well, then make a better f*****g movie.”

A rep for Grant didn’t immediately respond to ABC News’ request for comment.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Wednesday
Jul132011

Hugh Grant on 'News of the World' Scandal: 'Government Did Nothing'

ABC News(LONDON) -- Actor Hugh Grant, who helped expose the News of the World phone hacking scandal, says that not only did the British tabloids pay off the police to gather people's personal information, but that the British government did nothing to stop it.

"Tabloids are using private detectives who are using illegal techniques, and it's very widespread," Grant said. "And the government did nothing -- absolutely nothing -- because of their terror of the press. They did not want to upset the tabloid press, who they were, at that stage, still enthralled in."

The scandal -- involving News of the World, a British tabloid owned by News Corporation CEO Rupert Murdoch, and an epidemic of alleged criminal activity that includes hacking the voicemails of murder victims -- has rocked Britain to the core since erupting publicly last week.

Grant said evidence of British tabloids hacking into people's personal information has been around for years but that British government officials, including five successive prime ministers, tried to cover it up for fear of being smeared in one of Murdoch's papers.

"That's been one of the most shocking aspects of all this: You know, our politicians have been craven cowards in the face of Murdoch's terror," he said. "This was a country that was effectively ruled by Rupert Murdoch, and right now in Parliament they're pretty much telling him to get out of the country."

The actor said he has long had "paranoid moments" concerning the tabloid press because "photographers would pop up out of nowhere." But he couldn't confirm his suspicions that the press might be tracking him illegally until about five years ago. That's when, Grant said, police showed up at his door and told him they had arrested a private investigator who had Grant's personal information, including phone numbers, PIN numbers and bank account details.

Grant played a part in exposing the scandal when he wore a recording device as a former News of the World features editor, Paul McMullan, confirmed the paper's tactics to him. Grant then published his recordings in a British magazine, New Statesman.

Despite the scandal, Grant said he still believes in a system that allows freedom of the press.

"My main motive in all this has been to just bring it out into the public and to let people know that there's this scam going on," he said.

Earlier Wednesday, U.K. Prime Minister David Cameron announced that a criminal investigation is underway and investigators are reviewing 11,000 pages of documents containing nearly 4,000 names and thousands of phone numbers. About 180 people whose identities were found in the documents have been notified so far.

Murdoch has been in London since Sunday to try to contain the crisis. The News of the World wasn't just another paper in Murdoch's portfolio; it was the best-selling and most-profitable Sunday paper in Britain.

James Murdoch, Rupert Murdoch's son and heir, announced last week that the newspaper would print its last issue on July 10 after 168 years of being in print, leaving its 270-person staff without jobs.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Thursday
May122011

Hugh Grant Nearly Replaced Charlie Sheen on 'Two and a Half Men'

Eamonn McCormack/WireImage(NEW YORK) -- With a fortune in advertising revenue and syndication money on the line, CBS and Two and a Half Men co-creator Chuck Lorre are still eager to replace Charlie Sheen on the show.

And while names like Rob Lowe, John Stamos and Jeremy Piven have been bandied about since Sheen was fired from the hit show, none of those rumored replacements got much further than the gossip stage.  However, multiple sources are reporting that Hugh Grant nearly signed on the dotted line, but a deal fell apart at the last minute.

Deadline.com reported the Golden Globe-winning British movie star would have earned as much as $1 million per episode, but those rumors were shot down.

Sheen reportedly lobbied for, and scored, a record $2 million per episode before he was booted off of Two and a Half Men in March.  People reports the show's producers will try to save some serious money on whoever is offered the job next.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Apr052011

Hugh Grant Bails on Bar Bill

Athit Perawongmetha/Getty Images for Mission Hills(DOVER, England) -- We don't know if Hugh Grant is having money problems, but we do know he skipped out on a bill at a British pub, according to Britain's Daily Mail.  The tabloid reports the Four Weddings and a Funeral star recently walked out of a watering hole in the town of Dover without paying his tab.

The owner of The Castle Inn said, "People normally hand over the money when they get the beer but a couple of guys at the bar asked for his autograph and I assume he got distracted."

Grant, who ordered a few beers, racked up a $9 bill, but the owner is taking the mistake in stride, saying, "If he does it all round the country then it's a great scam to get free drinks but if this was a one off I will put it down to an honest mistake."

It's unclear if Grant ever returned to The Castle Inn to pay his debt.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio