SEARCH

Entries in Indianapolis (2)

Saturday
Jan142012

Madonna: Performing at Super Bowl is Scary

Jamie McCarthy/WireImage(INDIANAPOLIS, Ind.) -- She's performing this year's Super Bowl half-time show, but Madonna confessed recently that she hasn't watched a football game from start to finish in decades.

"For sure, when I was in high school and I was a cheerleader, OK?" she told "Nightline" anchor Cynthia McFadden. "But not since then."

The pop icon said she watched a lot of soccer games during her dozen years spent living in the United Kingdom, where she enjoyed "seeing legs."

"When you play soccer, you see the legs. You see the bodies," she said. "Football, it's hard to see everybody.  They're very covered."

But uniform gripes aside, Madonna, 53, didn't downplay the importance of the game. "In the middle of this very important event in Americans lives, I have to put on the greatest show on earth," she said.

And that show, she noted, comes with serious time constraints and practical limitations. “I have eight minutes to set up my stage, 12 minutes to put on the greatest show on earth, and I have seven minutes to take it down.  So, that football field is clean for the second half of the game,” she said. “How do you do that?”

The Super Bowl will take place two days after the release of Madonna's other big project, her new film "W.E." Madonna makes her feature-length directorial debut with the movie, which explores the love story between American divorcée Wallis Simpson and King Edward VIII, who abdicated his throne to marry her.

Madonna said she believes the film "will find its audience."

For the Super Bowl, meanwhile, the Material Girl won't have to worry about finding an audience. There will likely be more than 100 million watching from home, not to mention the tens of thousands of football fans filling Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.

Asked what was scarier, the opening of her film or performing the live half-time show, Madonna picked the latter.

"The Super Bowl," she said, "for sure."

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Sunday
Aug142011

Indiana State Fair Death Toll of 5 Could Go Higher After 'Fluke' Storm

Joey Foley/Getty Images(INDIANAPOLIS, Ind.) -- Five people are confirmed dead from injuries sustained when winds of up to 70 mph blew down thousands of pounds of steel scaffolding, wooden beams, lighting, sound and other equipment of an outdoor stage at the Indiana State Fair Saturday.

Roughly 40 others, so far, have reportedly been injured, although Indiana State Police have said that number could rise, given that some might have been transported privately for emergency care, rather than in ambulances ordered by rescue workers.

Gov. Mitch Daniels said the wind gust was a "fluke" that no one could have anticipated. Rain had been in the forecast, but not the sudden high winds that damaged the stage.

"It's not clear to me at this stage how anyone could have foreseen a sudden, highly localized blast of wind in one place," Daniels said. "The weather service is very good. They were in constant contact, repeated contact with the folks here at the fairgrounds, and they were right about the arrival of the storm. It came 15 or 20 minutes after the tragedy."

While many people fled as the massive structure fell under the force of the winds, hundreds rushed to help the victims, many trying to lift the stage to free people trapped underneath.

"You had law enforcement, you had citizens, you had people jumping into lift pieces of equipment off the injured and the people who were killed in this tragic accident," State Police Sgt. Dave Bursten said.

Minutes before the country band Sugarland was scheduled to perform, fair officials warned concert-goers that an approaching storm might force their evacuation into a nearby building. They said they expected the show to go on, but the fast-moving storm changed all that.

"We saw the storm clouds building off in the distance but the wind picked up and we saw dust coming across the fair ground and some different things started to blow around," Neil Smith, sitting with his son about 100 feet from the stage, told Good Morning America Sunday. "The awning started to blow apart and the stage just came down."

The fair, which runs through Aug. 21, was immediately shut down but is scheduled to reopen Monday.

"It's a very sad day at the state fair and our hearts are really breaking, so we appreciate all of you giving us a day to regroup, so we are closed today," Indiana State Fair executive director Cindy Hoye said. "We will reopen at 8 a.m. [Monday], but we will start with a very special, public remembrance gathering at 9am on the free stage."

Hoye said officials are trying to determine exactly what went wrong to cause the stage rigging to collapse.

“The structure is owned by company called Mid-America," she said. The company is bringing their engineer out of Tennessee Sunday.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio