SEARCH

Entries in Settlement (12)

Friday
Sep072012

Patti LaBelle May Not Pay Planned Settlement, Victim's Lawyer Says

Kris Connor/Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- Patti LaBelle reached an out-of-court settlement this week with a New York woman and her 17-month-old daughter who she is accused of verbally abusing in a Manhattan apartment building. The soul singer agreed to pay the family $100,000 plus legal fees, according to the woman's lawyer.

But now, according to the lawyer, that deal may not go through.

LaBelle's lawyer, Dorothy Weber, is trying to set aside the settlement, said Sam Davis, the attorney for the victims. Weber, he said, is alleging that the victim, Roseanna Monk, breached a confidentiality agreement when she and Davis spoke publically about the altercation, Davis said.

But Davis maintains that no such confidentiality agreement exists. "My clients would not tolerate under any circumstances the fact of this assault being kept under wraps from a public that deserves to know the truth," he said.

The incident allegedly began when Labelle, 68, accosted Monk and her toddler in the lobby of Trump Place, the Manhattan apartment building where they live and where the Grammy Award-winning singer stayed while starring in the Broadway musical Fela! in November 2010.

The singer for reasons unstated began "yelling, screaming obscenities, throwing water, drenching with water" and attempted to "strike and physically injure" the plaintiff and her young daughter, sending the baby into hysterics, according to the suit.

"LaBelle went into a full-frontal rage," Davis said. "She dropped the F-bomb and the C-bomb in a tirade that wasn't measured in seconds but a 10-minute tirade."

The altercation then moved outside the building, where LaBelle allegedly tried to attack Monk again as her entourage pulled her into a waiting car, Davis said.

The Monk family plans to donate any settlement money to Hope & Heroes Children's Cancer Fund, Davis said.

LaBelle's lawyer and publicist did not respond to multiple requests for comment.

LaBelle initially denied there was an altercation, according to court documents. Surveillance camera tapes from the building's lobby "mysteriously disappeared" after the incident took place in November 2010, Davis told ABC News.

Then a retired police officer, who was working in the building, gave Davis an eyewitness testimony of the altercation. "We think this testimony is what convinced LaBelle to reconsider her position," Davis said, referring to the singer's initial denial.

LaBelle's lawyer also wanted a deposition from the singer's son to be destroyed, Davis said. In this testimony, the singer's son "essentially denied that any assault took place."

"They [LaBelle's legal team] demanded that I destroy video tapes and deposition transcript in this case which I declined to even discuss," Davis said.

LaBelle's actions caused "permanent personal injury" to both her and her daughter, the lawsuit said. It also caused her daughter to have personality changes, sleep disorder and a fear of strangers. After pastoral counseling with the family, Monk's daughter has since recovered, Davis said.

Davis said Monk did not know who LaBelle was when she encountered her in the lobby. And, he said, it remains unclear why the singer targeted her.

"She's supposed to be a nice lady but this level of violence in the presence of such a young child is very troubling and the outright denial that she ever did this is even more troubling," Davis said.

This isn't the first lawsuit against LaBelle. West Point cadet Richard King sued the singer last year when her security team attacked him at a Houston airport, ABC News reported in 2011. He was talking to his brother on his cell phone when her bodyguards "sprang into action," according to the civil suit he filed. Surveillance video of the attack that was later released showing King being punched and falling against a concrete pillar.

"Apparently defendant LaBelle believed King was standing too close to her luggage, even though he was oblivious to her presence," the lawsuit said. "LaBelle lowered the window of her limousine and gave a command to a trio of bodyguards." The suit said LaBelle "watched the vicious assault, with approval, from her limousine."

A police report of the incident said that King was belligerent and harassing the occupants of the limo, including striking a member of LaBelle's entourage. The case has yet to be resolved.

As for LaBelle's most recent case, Davis is asking that the singer apologize to his client and her 17-month-old daughter.

"Ms. LaBelle owes an apology to the Monks for the harm she caused and I'm hoping she expresses that since this case has now been dismissed," the attorney said. "There is no legal detriment to admitting she was wrong and sorry for her hurtful conduct."

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Thursday
Aug162012

Journey Guitarist, Tareq Salahi Settle Lawsuit

Paul Archuleta/FilmMagic(NEW YORK) -- Journey guitarist Neal Schon has settled his ongoing legal battle with Tareq Salahi, who sued the musician for $50 million after his wife Michaele left him for Schon.

Though the case had twice been dismissed by a Virginia judge this year, a rep for Journey tells TMZ.com that Schon has settled the case.  The terms of the settlement have not been disclosed.

The rep says, "Neal Schon and Journey are very pleased with the resolution of all legal issues and claims involving Mr. Salahi."

Salahi had claimed, among other things, that Schon emailed him a picture of his privates and called him to say, "I'm f**king your wife."  Salahi also claimed that Michaele's affair with Schon cost him well-paying TV opportunities.  He'd planned to appeal to the Virginia Supreme Court.

Before their marriage fell apart, the Salahis were best known for crashing a White House state dinner in 2009.  Tareq filed for divorce last year, not long after his wife left him for Schon.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Monday
Jul092012

Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes Agree on Divorce Settlement

Europa Press/Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes have privately settled their divorce, just ten days after Holmes announced she was divorcing her husband of nearly six years.

The settlement reportedly includes an agreement on custody of their only child together, six-year-old Suri.

In a joint statement to ABC News released Monday, Holmes' attorney says, “The case has been settled and the agreement has been signed."

"We are thrilled for Katie and her family and are excited to watch as she embarks on the next chapter of her life," the statement continued. "We thank Tom’s counsel for their professionalism and diligence that helped bring about this speedy resolution.”

Although the statement did not specify if Holmes received sole custody of Suri, which Holmes requested, a joint statement released by the estranged couple just minutes before the settlement announcement declares, "We are committed to working together as parents to accomplishing what is in our daughter Suri’s best interests."

[ VIEW SLIDESHOW: Tom Cruise & Katie Holmes Through the Years ]

"We want to keep matters affecting our family private and express our respect for each other’s commitment to each of our respective beliefs and support each other’s roles as parents,” the joint statement continues.

Holmes filed for divorce and sole custody of the couple's daughter on June 28.  She was scheduled to attend a hearing in the case set on the New York Civil Supreme Court calendar on July 17.

video platform video management video solutions video player

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Thursday
Jun282012

Lindsay Lohan Settles Civil Case over Car Chase

Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images(LOS ANGELES) -- Lindsay Lohan has settled a civil lawsuit filed by three men she took on a high-speed chase in an SUV in 2007, according to E! Online.

Lohan commandeered a vehicle with Dante Nigro, Jakon Sutter and Ronnie Blake in the passenger's seats to follow a woman she believed to be her personal assistant.  Lohan was arrested after that chase and charged with driving under the influence.

The men filed a civil suit against Lohan in 2008, alleging false imprisonment, intentional infliction of emotional distress, negligence and assault and battery.  However, attorneys from both sides confirmed on Wednesday that the lawsuit was settled before heading to trial.  Terms of the settlement have not been disclosed.

Randall Billington, the attorney for the three men, tells E! Online of the settlement, "My clients thought it was fair."  He added, "They are happy to have this all resolved."

Lohan is currently filming the Lifetime movie Liz & Dick.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Jun052012

"The Bachelor" Producers Settle Lawsuit Against Head of Reality TV Site

Hemera/Thinkstock(LOS ANGELES) -- Producers of The Bachelor have settled a lawsuit filed last December against a man who they claimed tried to obtain spoilers from contestants and staff members, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

The complaint alleged that Stephen Carbone, who runs the reality TV-themed website RealitySteve.com, solicited information from the cast and crew, who had signed confidentiality agreements.  It claimed that in one case, Carbone offered money to a Bachelor participant in exchange for inside information.

Carbone tweeted on Monday, "The lawsuit is over. We have finally settled.... Long story short: RealitySteve.com isn't going anywhere, I don't owe the other side a penny, and they had no case."

Warner Bros., which produces the ABC series, told The Hollywood Reporter in a statement, "We have resolved our dispute with Reality Steve and are pleased he has agreed to have no further contact whatsoever with any of the cast, crew or employees of The Bachelor."

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Thursday
May242012

"Transformers: Dark of the Moon" Extra Receives $18.5M Settlement

iStockphoto/Thinkstock(CHICAGO) -- An extra who was severely injured while working on the most recent Transformers movie will receive an $18.5 million settlement, according to the Chicago Sun-Times.

Gabriella Cedillo was involved in an accident while driving a car during production in 2010 of Transformers: Dark of the Moon in Hammond, Ind.  A cable pulling a stunt car snapped loose and crashed through the windshield of her car.

Cedillo, who is now 26-years-old, suffered a head injury that left her brain permanently impaired.

Multiple lawsuits were later filed on Cedillo's behalf.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
May082012

Lindsay Lohan Settles Lawsuit with Former Betty Ford Center Employee

Toby Canham/Getty Images(LOS ANGELES) -- Lindsay Lohan has reportedly settled a lawsuit brought by a then-employee at the Betty Ford Center over a scuffle they had while the actress was rehabbing there in late 2010.

Dawn Holland had alleged Lohan grabbed her right wrist and twisted and pulled it for eight to 10 seconds as she resisted a breathalyzer test.  Holland had been seeking at least $1 million in damages.

According to TMZ.com, Lohan has paid an undisclosed amount to Holland to settle the case.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Dec272011

Mel Gibson's Divorce Finalized; He Could Pay Ex-Wife over $400M

Mike Marsland/WireImage(LOS ANGELES) -- Mel Gibson is not only single, but about $425 million poorer, thanks to a divorce settlement finalized Friday between the actor and his wife of 31 years, Robyn Denise Moore.

The judgment, finalized by a judge in Los Angeles, keeps virtually all details of the settlement secret.  But People magazine reports that the couple did not have a prenuptial agreement, meaning Gibson's ex-wife would be entitled to half of everything he earned during their marriage.

The Oscar-winner’s fortune has been estimated to be as high as $850 million, the magazine said, citing a 2006 report in the Los Angeles Business Journal.

People also reports that Moore, a former dental nurse, is entitled to half of any film residuals Gibson receives for the rest of his life.

Moore, 55, filed for divorce from Gibson, also 55, in 2009.  The two met in the late 1970s, when they were both tenants in a house in Adelaide, Australia.   Of their seven children together, only one, a 12-year-old son, is a minor and therefore subject to a custody agreement.

The divorce, which will take effect on Jan. 9, is believed to be the biggest celebrity divorce payout in Hollywood history.

Gibson’s divorce payout and the potential custody battle that lies ahead comes on the heels of the $750,000 he agreed to pay to Oksana Grigorieva, his former girlfriend and mother of his toddler daughter, Lucia, in August.

The two, who split last April, were engaged in a bitter custody dispute that included leaked recordings that sounded like Gibson engaged in a racist and sexist tirade, and Grigorieva accusing Gibson of domestic violence.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Nov292011

Tobey Maguire Reaches Settlement over High-Stakes Poker Games

Jeffrey Mayer/WireImage(LOS ANGELES) -- Tobey Maguire has reached a settlement in a lawsuit regarding money he received from a convicted Ponzi schemer during high-stakes poker games in Beverly Hills.

The Spider-Man actor has agreed to pay $80,000 to a bankruptcy trustee who's attempting to recover millions allegedly lost by former hedge fund operator Brad Ruderman in the poker games, according to The Hollywood Reporter.  A judge will review the settlement during a court hearing scheduled for Dec. 21.

Twenty-two people in all were sued earlier this year by the trustee, who claimed the poker games held between 2006 and 2009 were unlicensed and illegal, and that the defendants' winnings came from victims of the Ponzi scheme.  As part of his settlement, Maguire states he was unaware of the Ponzi scheme.  He allegedly won over $300,000 in the poker games.

Another celebrity named in the lawsuit, Welcome Back, Kotter actor Gabe Kaplan, reportedly has also reached a settlement in the matter.  The Notebook director Nick Cassavetes is among the defendants who have not settled their cases.  Leonardo DiCaprio and Ben Affleck have also been linked to the poker games, but they were not sued.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Sep272011

Warner Bros. Announces Settlement with Charlie Sheen

Jeff Vespa/Getty Images(LOS ANGELES) -- Warner Bros. on Monday formally announced that it has reached a settlement with Charlie Sheen stemming from the lawsuit he filed against the Two and a Half Men studio and series creator Chuck Lorre after he was fired from the hit CBS sitcom.

In a statement released by Warner Bros. and obtained by The Hollywood Reporter and other media outlets, the studio said, “Warner Bros. Television, Chuck Lorre and Charlie Sheen have resolved their dispute to the parties’ mutual satisfaction.  The pending lawsuit and arbitration will be dismissed as to all parties.  The parties have agreed to maintain confidentiality over the terms of the settlement.”

Reports last week stated that Sheen will receive about $25 million as part of the settlement, though TMZ.com claimed that the actor stands to make tens of millions more in syndication profits.

Sheen filed a $100 million lawsuit against Warner Bros. and Lorre for wrongful termination last March, not long after he was fired for his erratic behavior.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio