SEARCH

Entries in Shooting (8)

Monday
Dec172012

Hollywood Pulls Episodes, Delays Shows in Wake of Shooting

George Doyle/Stockbyte/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- Hollywood is being cautious about what it puts out to the public in the wake of the elementary school shooting in Newtown, Conn. on Friday, reports E! Online.  Movie premieres and shows with potentially objectionable content have been cancelled or pulled.

Fox pulled new episodes of Family Guy and American Dad scheduled to air this past Sunday due to sensitive material. The network did not air Family Guy's "Jesus, Mary and Joseph!" episode, in which Peter relates his own version of the nativity story, as well as American Dad's "Minstrel Krampus," which features a demon that punishes bad kids.  The network aired repeats instead. There's no word as to when or if the shelved episodes will eventually air.

Weekend premieres for two films -- one for Tom Cruise's Jack Reacher in Pittsburgh and another for Billy Crystal and Bette Midler's Parental Guidance in Los Angeles -- were cancelled.  Also, SyFy pulled a violent Haven episode that was supposed to air last Friday.

Additionally, TLC has decided to delay Best Funeral Ever, a one-hour special on a funeral home that specializes in organizing unique funerals, according to The Hollywood Reporter. The program was to originally air Dec. 27, but the network says it will air instead on Jan. 6.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Saturday
Dec152012

Cruise Film, "Family Guy" Episode Postponed After Connecticut Shooting

ABC/RICK ROWELL(NEW YORK) -- The premiere of the Tom Cruise film Jack Reacher, originally scheduled for Saturday in Pittsburgh, has been postponed due to the Newtown, Conn., school massacre.

Jack Reacher was scheduled to premier to American audiences just one day after Adam Lanza allegedly entered a Connecticut elementary school and murdered 20 children and six adults. Presumably, the film’s gritty content and gun violence are what lead to the decision from Paramount Pictures.

“Due to the terrible tragedy in Newtown, Conn., and out of honor and respect for the families of the victims whose lives were senselessly taken, we are postponing tomorrow’s Pittsburgh premiere of Jack Reacher,”  Paramount said in a Dec. 14 statement to the Hollywood Reporter. “Our hearts go out to all those who lost loved ones.”

The film’s plot revolves around the mysterious appearance of title character Jack Reaper, played by Cruise, in Pittsburgh, after a violent opening sequence in which a sniper “methodically gun down what looks to be five random targets,” according to the Hollywood Reporter.

Also, in a change to its Sunday broadcast schedule, the Fox network reportedly will not air new episodes of Family Guy and American Dad as planned, opting instead for previously aired episodes of each, according to Entertainment Weekly. The network has not yet made an official statement concerning the decision.

This is not the first time an entertainment company has rescheduled a film premier in consideration of recent tragic events.

In July, Warner Bros. canceled the Paris, Mexico City and Tokyo premieres of its film “Dark Knight Rises” after James Holmes allegedly killed 12 and injured 58 in a shooting during an Aurora, Colo., screening of the movie. Cast members Christian Bale, Anne Hathaway and Morgan Freeman, along with their director Christopher Nolan, subsequently canceled several media appearances, as well.

Jack Reacher is scheduled for national release Dec. 21.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Monday
Jul302012

Comics React to Dane Cook's Colorado Shooting Joke

Michael Schwartz/WireImage(LOS ANGELES) -- During a performance at Los Angeles’ Laugh Factory, comedian Dane Cook stirred a backlash when he joked about the movie theater shooting in Colorado that left 12 people dead and 58 injured.

Cook said, “I heard that the guy came into the theater about 25 minutes [into the movie]. And I don’t know if you’ve seen the movie, but the movie’s pretty much a piece of crap. Yeah, spoiler alert. I know that if none of that would have happened, I’m pretty sure that somebody in that theater, about 25 minutes in realizing it was a piece of crap, probably was like, ‘Ugh, f**ing shoot me.’”

Cook later apologized after backlash erupted over the joke, but the controversy about it — and about a comment about rape Daniel Tosh used to admonish a heckler earlier this month — started a conversation with comics at the Television Critics Association gathering in Los Angeles over the weekend. Specifically, how far is too far?

Brad Garrett, who is a stand-up performer but best known for his work on Everybody Loves Raymond, told ABC News Radio that Cook crossed the line. “Absolutely … That’s just, you know, super poor taste,” Garrett said.  “To me, that’s definitely below the belt because … there’s nothing about [the situation] that could possibly be [seen as] humor.”

For his part, Russell Brand disagreed, saying he hadn’t heard either comment from Cook or Tosh, but he feels nothing should be out of a comic’s sights.

“I think if someone’s…a comedian, and they say something…you should recall the bit that they’re a comedian.” Brand says people tend to “remove that from the analysis to … create some storm of condemnation.”

video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Jul242012

Christian Bale Visits Colorado Shooting Victims

Carey Rottman(AURORA, Colo.) -- Christian Bale arrived in Aurora, Colo., Tuesday to visit victims injured during Friday’s shooting at a midnight screening of The Dark Knight Rises. The Batman actor was seen at the Medical Center of Aurora, and hospital personnel were overheard saying he was talking to patients.

Petitions asking the actor to visit Aurora were posted on Change.org following Friday’s shooting. Over the weekend, Bale released a statement regarding the massacre, saying, “Words cannot express the horror that I feel. I cannot begin to truly understand the pain and grief of the victims and their loved ones, but my heart goes out to them.”

Christopher Nolan, who directed Bale in the latest Batman trilogy, released a statement Friday expressing his “profound sorrow at the senseless tragedy” that happened in Aurora. Anne Hathaway, who stars alongside Bale in The Dark Knight Rises, echoed their sentiments, saying, “My heart aches and breaks for the lives taken and altered by this unfathomably senseless act.”

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Friday
Jul202012

Warner Bros., Celebs React to Colorado Movie Theater Shooting

Warner Bros.(NEW YORK) -- A shooting at a midnight screening of The Dark Knight Rises inside a movie theater in Aurora, Colo., Friday has left at least 12 people dead and 50 others injured.  It has also shaken the entertainment industry.

Warner Bros., the studio behind the final film in the Batman trilogy, released a statement saying, “Warner Bros. and the filmmakers are deeply saddened to learn about this shocking incident.  We extend our sincere sympathies to the families and loved ones of the victims at this tragic time.”

The studio has also canceled the premiere that was set for Friday in Paris, due to the shootings.

Other celebrities have also tweeted their condolences:

Whoopi Goldberg: "Hearts and Prayers to all affected by the craziness in Colorado."

Eva Longoria: "My heart goes out to all the people affected in the Aurora, CO shooting. May God be with that town and their families..."

Billy Ray Cyrus: "Oh no ! Just woke up and turned on the news "14 dead 50 hurt in Batman movie shooting". Praying for victims. So sorry and sad"

Russell Simmons: "praying for the people of Aurora, Colorado."

Lebron James: "So u telling me I can't even feel safe at the movies now!!? SMH. My prayers goes out to all the families involved in Aurora, Colorado."

Paula Deen: "My heart and prayers go out to all the victims and families in Aurora, Colorado this morning."

Ben Savage: "My thoughts and prayers are with everyone in Colorado affected by this terrible tragedy."

James Harden: "SMH. Sick people. My love and prayers go out to all the people involved with Aurora Colorado."

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Thursday
Jun162011

Inmate Confesses to 1994 Robbery of Tupac Shakur

Ron Galella/WireImage(NEW YORK) -- A convicted murderer serving a life sentence in a Brooklyn, N.Y., prison claims he robbed Tupac Shakur in a 1994 incident where the late rapper was shot five times, insisting that a hip hop mogul hired him for the job.

Dexter Isaac is listed as the author of a confessional letter to Allhiphop.com in which he claims that he was hired by entertainment mogul James "Jimmy Henchman" Rosemond to carry out the November 1994 robbery in front of New York's Quad Studio. Isaac is currently serving a life sentence for an unrelated crime.

During the robbery, Tupac was shot, but Isaac didn't indicate who actually pulled the trigger.

"He gave me $2,500, plus all the jewelry I took, except for one ring, which he wanted for himself. It was the biggest of the two diamond rings that we took. He said he wanted to put the stone in a new setting for his girlfriend at the time, Cynthia Ried. I still have as proof the chain that we took that night in the robbery," Isaac wrote in the statement.

Isaac's allegations against Rosemond -- who manages the careers of Mike Tyson and Sean Kingston through his Czar Entertainment -- come after Rosemond accused him of being a government informant.

Claiming that he has kept Rosemond's secret for years, Isaac accuses Rosemond of being the actual informant, stating that he has documents proving that Rosemond aided the government to arrest his friends in order to keep himself out of prison.

In the letter, Isaac also insinuates that he has further information regarding Shakur's unsolved 1996 murder and the death or rapper Christopher Wallace, better known as The Notorious B.I.G., in 1997. He also implies that Sean "P Diddy" Combs is in cahoots with Rosemond in some capacity.

"Now I'm not going to talk about my friend Biggie's death or 2Pac's death, but I would like to give their mothers some closure," it reads. "It's about time that some one did, and I will do so at a different time," Isaac says in the letter. "Jimmy, you and Puffy like to come off all innocent-like, but as the saying goes: You can't fool some of the people of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time."

The 1994 robbery and shooting – in which Shakur was shot five times, twice in the head -- is widely cited as an instigating event in the long-running rivalry between Shakur and Wallace throughout the mid- 1990s. Shakur recovered from the 1994 shooting.

In an interview with Vibe magazine in April of 1995, Shakur stated that he believed that Uptown Records' founder Andre Harrell, Sean Combs, and Wallace -- who were all inside the Quad Studio building at the time -- had prior knowledge of the robbery.

Rosemond's lawyer, Jeffrey Lichtman, said Isaac's confession is merely a ploy to get out of a life sentence for a crime unrelated to the Tupac incident.

"All of a sudden, 17 years later, he's not looking to clear his conscience," Lichtman told ABC News. "He's looking to get out of a life sentence for a murder he committed that has nothing to do with this."

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Thursday
Nov182010

Report: Hollywood Publicist Ronni Chasen May Have Been Victim of Planned Attack

Photo Courtesy - Getty Images | John Heller | NFL(LOS ANGELES) -- Police investigating the shooting attack that killed Hollywood publicist Ronni Chasen believe it "was planned in advance and not the result of road rage or a carjacking gone awry," according to The Hollywood Reporter.

The Hollywood Reporter's website also said there was "relevant footage" from at least one security camera near the site of the shooting. It said the video came from the home of Sherry Hackett, widow of the late comedian and actor Buddy Hackett, who lived down the block.

Chasen, 64, was murdered after the leaving the premiere party for the Cher movie Burlesque early Tuesday morning.

She was shot five times in the chest before she crashed her Mercedes Benz E530 into a light pole.

Publicly, Beverly Hills police say they have few leads. "No motive, no suspects, no persons of interest," Beverly Hills Police Sgt. Lincoln Hoshino told ABC News.

Chasen was shot on what Beverly Hills police told ABC News is "a safe street" in a residential area, just south of Sunset Boulevard. "It's a highly unusual case, especially for the city of Beverly Hills," Sgt. Lincoln said.

Police are also analyzing data from computers seized from the Beverly Hills public relations firm Chasen owned.

While police investigated Chasen's death, friends, family and stars mourned her.

Actor Morgan Freeman said in a statement, "I met Ronni when I was filming Driving Miss Daisy. We remained friends ever since. She is someone I greatly admired, and she will be remembered."

A funeral will be held for Chasen on Sunday.

Copyright 2010 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Nov162010

Hollywood Publicist Ronni Sue Chasen Shot and Killed While Driving Mercedes-Benz

Photo Courtesy - Getty Images | John Heller | NFL(LOS ANGELES) -- Hollywood publicist Ronni Sue Chasen was killed early Tuesday morning in Beverly Hills. She was shot several times in the chest before crashing her late-model black E530 Mercedes-Benz into a light pole, according to the Beverly Hills Police Department.

Shortly before 12:30 a.m., police received reports from residents who heard gunshots in the exclusive area of Los Angeles.

Soon after, a 911 call reported a single-car crash just south of Sunset Boulevard. The driver was taken to Cedars-Sinai Hospital, where she was pronounced dead. The L.A. County Coroner's office later confirmed the victim as Chasen, 64.

On Monday night, Chasen attended the Hollywood premiere and afterparty for the new movie Burlesque, starring Cher and Christina Aguilera.

"She was at our premiere last night and so full of her trademark energy and love of life. We are heartbroken, shocked and completely devastated," said Amy Pascal, co-chair of Sony Pictures.

Chasen had recently promoted Burlesque; The Social Network; the upcoming film Country Strong, starring Gwyneth Paltrow; and Disney's Alice in Wonderland.

Chasen began working as a publicist in 1973. She was known for her work promoting Driving Miss Daisy, On Golden Pond, and Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. Chasen represented the late actress Natalie Wood, producers Richard Zanuck and Irwin Winkler, composer Hans Zimmer, and songwriter Diane Warren.

She owned the Beverly Hills Public Relations firm Chasen and Co. Police seized several computers from the company's offices after Chasen was pronounced dead. The reason for the seizure remains unclear. Beverly Hills Police said they had no reports of threats against Chasen or her company.

As of late Tuesday, there was no known motive or suspect in the case.

Copyright 2010 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio