(NEW YORK) -- Moviegoers were committed to seeing The Vow over the weekend. The romantic tale, starring Rachel McAdams and Channing Tatum, earned an estimated $41.7 million to debut in first place.
The Denzel Washington-Ryan Reynolds thriller Safe House opened in the runner-up spot, drawing $39.3 million. Journey 2: The Mysterious Island premiered in third place, with $27.6 million, and the 3D re-release of Star Wars: Episode I -- The Phantom Menace came in at number four, with $23 million.
The previous box office champ, Chronicle, dropped to fifth place, garnering $12.3 million.
Here are the top 10 movies from Friday through Sunday, with estimated ticket sales:
1. The Vow, $41.7 million.
2. Safe House, $39.3 million.
3. Journey 2: The Mysterious Island, $27.6 million.
4. Star Wars: Episode I -- The Phantom Menace (3D re-release), $23 million.
5. Chronicle, $12.3 million.
6. The Woman in Black, $10.3 million.
7. The Grey, $5.1 million.
8. Big Miracle, $3.9 million.
9. The Descendants, $3.5 million.
10. Underworld Awakening, $2.5 million.
Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio