(LOS ANGELES) -- Thor: The Dark World topped the box office in its opening weekend.
The action-packed adventure film, starring Chris Hemsworth and Natalie Portman, brought in $86.1 million between Friday and Sunday. The Marvel superhero sequel, a follow-up to 2011's Thor, earned $20 million more than the original did in its debut. But the highest grossing Marvel debut of the year still belongs to Iron Man 3, which more than doubled the earnings of Thor: The Dark World.
The runner up at this weekend's box office was Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa, which earned $11.3 million. The 3-D animation flick Free Birds took third place with $11.2 million, while Last Vegas, starring Robert De Niro and Michael Douglas, came in fourth with $11.1 million.
Below are the top ten films from this weekend's box office according to boxofficemojo.com:
1. Thor: The Dark World: $86.1 million
2. Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa: $11.3 million
3. Free Birds: $11.2 million
4. Last Vegas: $11.1 million
5. Ender's Game: $10.3 million
6. Gravity: $8.4 million
7. 12 Years a Slave: $6.6 million
8. Captain Phillips: $5.8 million
9. About Time: $5.2 million
10. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2: $2.8 million
Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio