SEARCH

Thursday
Jun162011

Two Men in Joss Stone Robbery Plot Appear in Court

ROBERT VOS/AFP/Getty Images(LONDON) -- The two men accused of plotting to rob and harm British singer Joss Stone appeared in court Thursday and were ordered to be held in jail until their next hearing on July 1.

On Monday, 30-year-old Junior Bradshaw and 33-year-old Kevin Liverpool were found in a red car near the home of Joss Stone with a samurai sword, a body bag, and detailed notes about the layout of Stone's home.

The 24-year-old singer is worth nearly $15 million and it appears her wealth and fame made her a target. Stone's home is in the small town where she grew up, Cullompton, 175 miles southwest of London.

The kidnapping plot was foiled when neighbors became suspicious of the men and officers swooped in and arrested them. In the men's car, officers also found a rope and maps of the area.

It's unclear if Stone was at her home on Monday.

Stone rose to stardom as a teenager. Her debut album, The Soul Sessions, went multi-platinum. She's a Grammy winner and has sold 11 million albums worldwide. She is friends with Prince William and was invited to his wedding to Kate Middleton. She also sang at a concert honoring the late Princess Diana.

Police said that despite the sword, body bag and detailed notes, nothing was actually taken from Stone's home and no one was harmed. But police are taking no chances. Security remains tight around the singer's home.

The two men face charges of conspiracy to commit robbery and grievous bodily harm.

Stone embarks on a European tour next month.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Thursday
Jun162011

Lady Gaga to Debut 'The Edge of Glory' Video Thursday

Bruce Glikas/FilmMagic(LOS ANGELES) -- Lady Gaga has announced via Twitter that her long-awaited video for "The Edge of Glory" will debut during Thursday night's episode of So You Think You Can Dance, which airs at 8 p.m. on Fox.

It will actually be an "extended preview" of the clip, with the full video being available online at Vevo.com.

Not much is known about the clip, other than the fact that it's directed by Joseph Kahn, the man behind Gaga's clip for "LoveGame," as well as numerous videos for Britney Spears, Katy Perry, and The Backstreet Boys.

It's not known whether Clarence Clemons, who played saxophone on the track, appears in the video.  Clemons is currently recuperating from a stroke he suffered on Sunday.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Thursday
Jun162011

Britney Spears' Femme Fatale Tour Launches Thursday Night

Max Morse/Getty Images(SACRAMENTO, Calif.) -- Britney Spears is bringing Femme Fatale to her fans. Her tour, featuring Nicki Minaj as the opening act, kicks off in Sacramento, California Thursday night.

According to published reports, Spears' over-the-top show will feature nine costume changes and features an "action-hero"-type theme, with the singer changing identities and appearing to travel the world.  At one point during the show, the singer will pull some fans out of the audience to dance with her.

As for the music, Spears will cover Madonna's "Burning Up" and Rihanna's "S&M," as well as much of the Femme Fatale album and pretty much every single one of her hits, from "...Baby One More Time" to "'Til the World Ends."  Supposedly, Spears will also be singing more songs live this time, as opposed to her past tours, where she lip-synched nearly everything.

In an interview with the British morning TV show Daybreak, Spears said of the Femme Fatale tour, "There's a lot of surprises in the show...it's probably one of the most impactful, entertainment shows I've ever done."

She also said the show is "just more me" than any one she'd done previously.

The North American leg of the Femme Fatale tour is scheduled to wrap up on Aug. 14.  In September, it heads overseas.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Thursday
Jun162011

Mel Gibson Being Sued by Investor

Valerie Macon/Getty Images(LOS ANGELES) -- It seems Mel Gibson's legal troubles aren’t over.  The actor is now being sued by a man who claims that the Oscar winning director talked him into investing his life savings into a new company, and has lost it all.

TMZ reports that Nader Sherif met Gibson back in 2007, and allegedly was swindled into investing $200,000 into a company called Green Rubber.  The company, based out of Malaysia, developed a technology to break down rubber so used tires could be recycled.

Apparently, Sherif was reluctant to invest his life savings, but was reassured by a representative for the company that if he wanted out at any time, Green Rubber would buy back his stock.  Gibson himself even provided Sherif a second safety net, reportedly telling him that if the company fell through on their promise, the actor himself would pay him the full amount he invested.

Sherif eventually went through with the deal, but like most people, he fell on hard times and asked the company for his money back.  Nader claims that Green Rubber repeatedly refused to do so, and when he attempted to take Gibson up on his promise, the actor brushed him off.

Sherif is now suing for $200,000 plus interest.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Thursday
Jun162011

Charlie Sheen Not 'Winning' After Judge's Lawsuit Decision

Jeff Vespa/Getty Images(LOS ANGELES) -- A Los Angeles Superior Court judge handed Warner Bros. TV and Two and a Half Men co-creator Chuck Lorre a legal victory against Charlie Sheen on Wednesday.

Sheen and his lawyer Marty Singer had filed a $100 million lawsuit against WB and Lorre, claiming they had no legal grounds to fire the actor from the hit show, despite his erratic off-screen behavior which morphed into a very public flame war against Lorre.

But TMZ reports Judge Alan Goodman said the case must be settled through arbitration, as stipulated in Sheen's contract, and not with the public trial the actor sought.

"We're very gratified by the court's ruling enforcing the parties' arbitration agreement," Warner Bros. said of the decision.

No official public reaction yet from Sheen's camp.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Thursday
Jun162011

Academy Changes Best Picture Nomination Process

Jamie McCarthy/WireImage(LOS ANGELES) -- After expanding the number of nominees in the Best Picture category to 10 movies in 2009, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences is shrinking that number again...or maybe not.

In a vote on Tuesday, the Academy's Board of Governors approved a new nominating system that will result in anywhere from five to 10 movies earning top picture nominations.  The new system is designed to add an element of surprise to the proceedings as well as to ensure that those movies that earn nominations are really those that voters consider most worthy, according to the Academy.

“A Best Picture nomination should be an indication of extraordinary merit," retiring Academy executive director Bruce Davis, who spearheaded the change, said in a statement.  "If there are only eight pictures that truly earn that honor in a given year, we shouldn’t feel an obligation to round out the number.”

The change comes in response to a study commissioned by the Academy, which looked at nomination voting over the last decade.  In response to that study, the Academy's governors decided that in order to earn a nomination, a movie must receive at least five percent of the first-place votes cast during nominations.

If the new system had been in place from 2001 to 2008 -- before the expansion to a slate of 10 -- there would have been years that yielded five, six, seven, eight and nine Best Picture nominees, the Academy noted.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Wednesday
Jun152011

Selena Gomez Asks Mom to Manage Her Schedule

Isaac Brekken/Getty Images via ABC(NEW YORK) -- Selena Gomez, who was recently hospitalized due to what she described as exhaustion and malnourishment, is now counting on her mother, Mandy Teefey, to help her better manage her intense schedule, reports PopEater.com.  The 18-year-old has been promoting her new film, Monte Carlo, and her new single.  

On Friday, she's scheduled to do more than 30 media interviews and perform on ABC-TV’s Good Morning America.  

A Selena insider told PopEater.com, "She is one of the hardest working people in show business but now even Selena knows she needs to slow down.”

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Wednesday
Jun152011

Candy Spelling Sells Los Angeles Mansion

Theo Wargo/WireImage(LOS ANGELES) -- Candy Spelling is 85 million dollars richer after selling her 56,500 square-foot Los Angeles mansion. TMZ reports 22-year-old fashion designer Petra Ecclestone has taken the mansion off Candy’s hands. Petra is the daughter of billionaire and Formula One President and CEO Bernie Ecclestone.

Even though $85 million is a chunk of change anyone would love to have, the sale price is significantly less than Spelling’s original asking price of $150 million. When Spelling put the house on the market back in 2009, it was the most expensive home for sale in the United States.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Wednesday
Jun152011

Shaq Sex Tape Mentioned in Kidnapping, Robbery Case

Christian Petersen/Getty Images(LOS ANGELES) -- A music promoter claims he was kidnapped and robbed by seven gang members who were allegedly on a mission to retrieve a sex tape involving former NBA player Shaquille O'Neal.

The alleged victim, Robert Ross, testified at a preliminary hearing this week that the gang members kidnapped him on the night of the Grammys in February 2008 and demanded that he return a reported sex tape featuring O'Neal.

O'Neal has not been named a defendant in the case. The spokesperson for the Los Angeles County District Attorney's office said that the sex tape doesn't actually exist.

"It was a bluff," spokeswoman Jane Robison told ABC News. "It was part of a financial dispute" between Ross and O'Neal.

Ross told O'Neal through a third party that he had a sex tape of the basketball player, Robison said. Two weeks later, Ross was allegedly robbed and kidnapped by members of the Main Street Mafia Crips Gang.

Ross was once a member of the same gang, but was working as a music promoter at the time of the altercation, prosecutors said. He reportedly referred artists to O'Neal's record label.

Ladell Rowles allegedly led six other gang members in tracking Ross down in West Hollywood, Calif., on the night of the Grammys. Ross was allegedly forced at gunpoint to drive his Rolls Royce to Rowles' home. Rowles allegedly asked Ross for the sex tape and stole his diamond chain, Rolex watch, diamond earrings, and $15,000 in cash, according to the criminal complaint.

Robison would not comment on whether investigators had interviewed O'Neal. Attempts to reach O'Neal were unsuccessful.

Ross testified that the he and O'Neal were friends and that the ball player used his home to bring women home for liaisons while he was still married to wife Shaunie O'Neal. Prosecutors claimed Monday that at one time Ross dated Shaunie O'Neal.

It's unclear if O'Neal has any connection to gang leader Rowles.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Wednesday
Jun152011

Joss Stone the Target of a Murder Plot?

ROBERT VOS/AFP/Getty Images(LONDON) -- Two men have been arrested by British authorities after police suspected the pair of conspiring to murder and rob singer Joss Stone.

The men, 30 and 33 years old, have not been identified.

The British newspaper The Sun reports the suspects had swords and a body bag among other items in their possession.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio