(CINCINNATI) -- 'Tis the season to consume more adult beverages than usual, which also means a greater risk of children suffering from accidental alcohol poisoning.
The Drug and Poison Information Center, a service of Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center, says there are an increased number of calls to hospitals at this time of year due to kids ingesting alcohol.
Very often, little ones find unfinished drinks that adults have forgotten to put away. Just a small amount of booze can result in poisoning because children weigh far less than grownups.
Meanwhile, the hospital says they also get calls of youngsters consuming ethyl or rubbing alcohol or denatured alcohol used in perfumes.
Health experts advise keeping all alcohol-type products out of the reach of children.
Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio