« Pregnant Elephant Put on Strict Diet, Told to Lose 500 Pounds | Main | Five Surprising Influences on Your Weight »

Retired Police Officer Reunites with Woman He Helped Deliver 52 Years Ago

Courtesy Glenn Ward(MONCTON, New Brunswick) -- A young nurse in Edmonton repaid a decades-old kindness act this month. Terri Ward rushed to the bedside of the man who helped deliver her on the side of a road 52 years ago.

As a young cop out for the first time on patrol car duty, Gordon Cameron was trained to keep his eyes open. A car speeding toward the local hospital, however, was not exactly difficult to spot.

The driver, Glenn Ward, told Cameron that his wife was having a baby in the back seat and immediately left for the hospital to get help.

Cameron stayed behind as the woman gave birth to a baby girl. Recalling the incident to CBC News, Cameron remembered: "I opened up the back door and I heard this lady, laying on her back and saying, ‘Don’t just stand there, hand me my baby.'"

After the roadside delivery, both mother and child were admitted to the hospital. But Cameron did not stick around long enough to find out more about them.

Over the next 50 years, he often wondered what had become of the newborn and where she was now. Hoping to find out, Cameron mined the Edmonton Journal archives and searched Canadian phone books. He made contact with the Wards in 2012 and has stayed in touch with them ever since. Still, it was not until two weeks ago that the retired police officer laid eyes on the now-grown woman once more.

Cameron had returned to Moncton, in New Brunswick, to attend the funeral of three Royal Canadian Mountain Police gunned down on duty on June 4. The somber visit took its emotional and physical toll on the 81-year-old. After collapsing in the crowd due to dehydration, he was rushed into an ambulance.

When she heard of the crisis, Terri Ward, 52, did not hesitate.

"I was on a day off, but I went right up," she said.

She and her parents met Cameron at the hospital and assured him that he was in good hands. They would know. Ward is a nurse at the hospital.

"My wife and I and our daughter were up to see him every day until he left to go home to fly back to Alberta," says Glenn Ward, 77. "For my daughter, it meant an awful lot. Terri and him hit it right off."

Cameron has recovered and has since returned to Edmonton, but Glenn Ward is confident that the two will stay in touch. "Maybe she'll get out West to see him," muses Ward. "I think she'd like that."

Despite the alarming circumstances, Terri Ward is grateful for the unexpected quality time together: "He was only supposed to be in town for a little while, but I guess things have a funny way of turning around."

Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

ABC News Radio