SEARCH

Entries in Alcohol Swab (1)

Monday
Feb142011

Did Alcohol Swabs Kill This Couple's Toddler?

Photo Courtesy - Getty Images(WASHINGTON) -- After complications from surgery to remove a benign cyst near his brain and spine, two-year-old Harrison Kothari seemed to be recovering well. But on December 1, Harrison's organs began failing from acute bacterial meningitis. He died soon after.

Harrison's death was a mystery to his family until they heard of a recall of the same brand of sterile alcohol pads used during his procedure, the kind used in many hospitals and doctors' offices.

The family has sued the Triad Group, the largest makers of those pads, claiming gross negligence, according to Miranda Sevcik, a spokesperson for the lawfirm Perdue & Kidd, who represent the Kothari family.

The parents' lawsuit states that the company issued an urgent voluntary recall of these products on January 3, citing "potential contamination" by a potentially life-threatening "objectionable organism." That organism, bacillus cereus, can cause meningitis, the kind of infection that killed their son.

The Kotharis have no direct evidence the swabs used during their son's procedure were contaminated but believe they could have been because the recall went out just a month after Harrison died.

Triad alcohol prep products are included in pre-packaged pharmaceutical products used throughout the healthcare industry. Because of this, the FDA and many pharmaceutical companies have issued recalls for certain prepackaged pharmaceuticals containing Triad alcohol prep products. The only reason for these recalls is the potentially contaminated Triad alcohol prep product included in the package.

The FDA recall was not a Class 1 recall, used for "dangerous or defective products that predictably could cause serious health problems or death," but a Class 2 recall, used for "products that might cause a temporary health problem, or pose only a slight threat of a serious nature."

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio