(ALBANY, N.Y.) -- For women under 75, extra vitamin D could ward off macular degeneration. Few foods in nature contain vitamin D. The best sources of the vitamin are fatty fish and fish liver oils.
Here are seven easy ways to get your vitamin D:
1. Herring (1383 per 3 ounces)
2. Salmon, pink, canned (530 per 3 ounces)
3. Halibut (510 per 3 ounces)
4. Oyster (272 per 3 ounces)
5. Shitake mushrooms, dried (249 per 4)
6. Tuna, light meat, canned in oil (200 per 3 ounces)
7. Egg, cooked (26 per whole egg 25 per yolk)
Vitamin D is stated in international units.
Information provided by the New York State Department of Health and the Office of Dietary Supplements
Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio