(SEATTLE) -- It was a routine game of catch until Abby, a four-year-old German Shorthaired Pointer, was accidentally impaled by a stick.
“She just started crying,” Abby’s owner, Adam Baker, told ABC News Seattle affiliate KOMO. “I went over there and saw a hole in her chest about 4 inches and I put my shirt on her and carried her out.”
Baker’s decision to not remove the stick himself may have saved Abby’s life.
“My heart has never beat as fast in surgery as it did in that one,” said small animal surgeon Dr. Kristin Kirkby.
The dog’s heart was punctured in two places.
“The stick was actually in the heart and pulled the heart to the side,” Baker said.
Abby made it out of surgery and is scheduled to begin heart medication. Baker is confident that she’ll be okay, but admits that it’s hard to leave Abby’s side during her recovery.
Wiping tears, Baker said “I think she's going to be good though. She's going to be alright.”
Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio