SEARCH

Entries in Hospitalized (3)

Tuesday
May032011

Texas Professor Gives Last Lecture Via Teleconference

Jupiterimages/Thinkstock(LONGVIEW, Texas) -- When professor William Kielhorn found himself in the intensive care unit to deal with chemotherapy complications from treating his stage four colon cancer, he was quite put out.

At 79, Kielhorn was just one class short of finishing 45 years of teaching without missing a single day.  With his perfect attendance at risk, Kielhorn reminded his oncologist at Good Shepherd Medical Center in Longview, Texas: "I have class tomorrow at 3 o'clock."

That's when his daughter, Martha Croft, and granddaughter, Courtney Bellamy, came up with a plan and started making arrangements for Kielhorn to give his last class via teleconference from the hospital.

So on April 28, Kielhorn put on his glasses, took out his textbook and gave his last lecture through a laptop that was perched on the dining table of his hospital bed.

Kielhorn gave the engineering lecture in his hospital gown with IVs still attached to his body while about 15 students watched from a classroom at nearby LeTourneau University.  The class was called "Manufacturing Processes" and the final lecture was a review for the students' final exam, which will take place this week.

Kielhorn had been teaching three classes a week until his hospitalization, but the day of his last lecture he was so weak he could barely speak.

But Bellamy, who was in the room for her grandfather's last class, said the moment he began talking to his students his voice transformed.

"It was perfect, it was strong, it was just unbelievable really," she said.  "I had not seen him talk like that in a long time."

Forty-five years of teaching was a personal milestone Kielhorn had set for himself.

"It was a wonderful feeling of accomplishment being able to meet that goal," Kielhorn said.

On Thursday, the university will hold a ceremony for a newly renovated lab that will be named in Kielhorn's honor.  His family plans to attend.

Kielhorn has been moved out of the intensive care unit, but is still hospitalized and struggling with health issues. 

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Mar292011

Radio Host's Son Hospitalized After Swallowing Tiny Magnets

BananaStock/Thinkstock(DENVER) -- Television and radio personalities are used to talking about what happens in other people's lives, but for one Denver radio and TV host, the focus is now on her and her young son, who was hospitalized after he swallowed a handful of tiny magnets.

Denise Plante, the host of a morning radio show and a television show said on Facebook that her eight-year-old son accidentally swallowed the magnets after putting a ball of about 20 of them in his mouth. He was playing with what she said were the small magnets kids use to build things.

"Doing what a kid does, he stuck them in his mouth while joking around," Plante said. "The magnets were pulling his intestines together. He has five or six holes in his intestines and one hole in his stomach."

Plante went on to say her son is on a feeding tube and his stomach is being pumped. He's already had three surgeries and will be in the hospital at least another week.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission said it knew of more than 30 children who'd been injured after ingesting magnets. A 20-month-old child died and 19 others required surgery. The CPSC put out a special alert in 2007, warning parents of the dangers of small magnets and has recalled millions of toys because of the hazards posed by small magnets.

"If two or more magnets or magnetic components or a magnet and another metal object (such as a small metal ball) are swallowed separately, they can attract one another through intestinal walls. This traps the magnets in place and can cause holes (perforations), twisting and/or blockage of the intestines, infection, blood poisoning (sepsis), and death," the CPSC wrote in the alert.

Since then, some manufacturers of toys with small magnets have since encased the magnets in plastic, so they can't be swallowed.

Dr. Sanjeev Dutta, an associate professor at Stanford School of Medicine in Palo Alto, Calif., wrote a case study of another little boy who swallowed a magnet from a toy set. In a 2008 issue of Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, he discussed the case of Braden Eberle, then four years old.

He came to the emergency room after having stomach pain for several weeks, and Dutta had to remove the magnets, which were stuck together through the walls of different parts of Braden's intestine. He removed them laparoscopically, but Braden got an infection from the magnets and had to be hospitalized for six days.

This case drove Dutta to warn others of the dangers magnets pose to children.

"Magnets, when we were kids, were made of ferrite," Dutta said. "The new magnets are exponentially more powerful than the ferrite magnets. When they swallow these magnets, they could die from this."

Denise Plante is sending out her own warning about toys like the one her son was playing with.

"Please don't buy these for your kids, throw them out if you have them," she said. 

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Mar292011

New Orleans Boy Home From Hospital After 480-Day Battle With H1N1

ABC News(NEW ORLEANS) -- A seven-year-old boy was released from a New Orleans hospital Sunday after a 480-day battle with H1N1 influenza; the once pandemic virus remembered not so fondly as swine flu.

Robert "Boo" Maddox V was admitted to New Orleans Children's Hospital in critical condition Nov. 19, 2009, five months after the World Health Organization declared the H1N1 outbreak a global pandemic.

Boo's epic hospital stay, which spanned two birthdays and included 10 surgeries, was a shock therapy of sorts for a family once unfamiliar with the agony of having a sick child.

"I've got five kids, the oldest being 20, the youngest three, we never had a sickness," Boo's dad, Robert Maddox IV, told ABC News affiliate WGNO.  "So we didn't really realize what went on [in] these places, but God has ... [given] us a valuable lesson that will stick with us the rest of our lives."

H1N1 wreaked havoc on Boo's body, leaving him open to one complication after another.

"There were times when it seemed like he was getting better, and then he'd have a setback," Children's Hospital communications manager Chris Price said.

Machines took over for Boo's heart and lungs while he fought off near-fatal infections, he said.  But even with organs failing, the lively "jokester" never lost hope, or his sense of humor, Price added.

"He loved to pull pranks," he said.  "He would put little rubber roaches in the bed with him for when the nurses would come.  That's one of the most amazing things: to spend 480 days stuck in a bed in one room and to still have a sense of humor."

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio