(NEW YORK) -- The University of Iowa is the top party school in the country, according to the latest Princeton Review rankings. The Hawkeyes unseated last year’s party champ, West Virginia University, which fell to fourth place.
The University of Iowa is also ranked number one in the “Lots of Hard Liquor” category, fourth the categories “Students Study the Least” and “Lots of Beer," and ranked seven in “Students Pack the Stadiums.” It's number 18 in “Lots of Greek Life.”
The rankings are part of the Princeton Review’s 2014 edition of The Best 378 Colleges.
University of Iowa spokesman Tom Moore responded to the rankings in a statement, saying the school is “continuing to work to change the culture on our campus by educating students to only consume alcohol in a legal, safe and responsible manner, and those efforts are achieving results.”
Moore says the university is taking a proactive approach to reducing high-risk drinking.
The Princeton rankings are based on surveys of 126,000 college students during the 2012-13 and/or the previous two school years. An average of 333 students per campus participated in the surveys. The students were asked 80 questions about administration, the student body, academics and the general lifestyle around campus.
Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah, is ranked the top sober school in the country.
The top 20 party schools, according to the Princeton Review:
- University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa
- University of California, Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara, Calif.
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, Ill.
- West Virginia University, Morgantown W. Va.
- Syracuse University, Syracuse, N.Y.
- University of Florida, Gainesville, Fla.
- Ohio University, Athens, Ohio
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, Wis.
- Penn State University, University Park, Pa.
- Lehigh University, Bethlehem, Pa.
- University of Georgia, Athens, Ga.
- Florida State University, Tallahassee, Fla.
- DePauw University, Greencastle, Ind.
- University of Mississippi, University, Miss.
- University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas
- Miami University of Ohio, Oxford, Ohio
- University of Maryland, College Park, Md.
- Tulane University, New Orleans, La.
- University of Vermont, Burlington, Vt.
- University of Oregon, Eugene, Ore.
The top 20 sober schools, according to the Princeton Review:
- Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah
- Wheaton College, Wheaton, Ill.
- College of the Ozarks, Point Lookout, Mo.
- Thomas Aquinas College, Santa Paula, Calif.
- U.S. Military Academy, West Point, N.Y.
- Grove City College, Grove City, Pa.
- Wesleyan College, Macon, Ga.
- U.S. Coast Guard Academy, New London, Conn.
- U.S. Naval Academy, Annapolis, Md.
- Calvin College, Grand Rapids, Mich.
- City University of New York-Brooklyn College, Brooklyn, N.Y.
- City University of New York-City College, New York City
- City University of New York-Queens College, Flushing, N.Y.
- Mills College, Oakland, Calif.
- Agnes Scott College, Atlanta/Decatur, Ga.
- Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering, Needham, Mass.
- California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, Calif.
- Simmons College, Boston
- Wellesley College, Wellesley, Mass.
- Xavier University of Louisiana, New Orleans
Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio