(KNOXVILLE, Tenn.) -- The Fourth of July turned deadly for one child who went for a swim in a Tennessee lake.
On Thursday afternoon, at Cherokee Lake outside Knoxville, Tenn., a 10-year-old was killed and another boy was seriously injured in an electrocution incident.
Witnesses said the boys had been swimming from one house boat to another when they suddenly cried out for help.
"We believe that somehow or another, the electricity at this point got into the metal of the boat, and when the children touched the metal ladder to get in, that's when the electrocution occurred," Grangier County Sheriff Scott Layel said.
Police say seven other people were also injured by the electricity in Cherokee Lake -- four adults and three children -- and were taken to area hospitals for medical attention.
Authorities say they are still unsure what energized the lake.
Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio