Police: 'Person of Interest' Now 'Suspect' in Attempted Mall Bombing

FBI Denver Joint Terrorism Task Force (DENVER) -- The FBI says the man seen near the site where bombs were left inside a Littleton, Colo., mall is a now considered a suspect.

The man appears to be in his 60s, and new photos released Friday show he fled on a city bus after allegedly leaving two propane tanks and a pipe bomb in a crowded shopping mall Wednesday.

The devices burned but did not explode.

It happened on the same day as the Columbine school shooting massacre 12 years ago and police are investigating whether there is a connection. The pipe bomb and propane tanks looked very similar to what the columbine killers tried to use during their attack.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio


Georgia Man's Suicide Note Reveals Location of Corpse

Clayton County Sheriff/ABC News(CLAYTON COUNTY, Ga.) -- A Georgia man slit his wrists and left a suicide note for his mother that revealed another man's death and the location of the body, police said.

John Hendrell Chambers, 30, survived the suicide attempt and is now in Clayton County Jail on a felony charge of concealing a death. In the suicide note, police said he revealed to his mother the location of a corpse at a home where he once lived with his girlfriend and grandfather.

Clayton County Police responded to Chambers' apartment on April 15 and he was rushed to the hospital. Detectives said the suicide note indicated that Chambers had been carrying a secret about another person's death.

Chambers told police that the body was at a home in Valdosta, Ga., where he used to live.

"Detectives responded down there and when they did, they discovered that the house was vacant," Valdosta Police Investigations Commander Brian Childress said. "We brought in two cadaver dogs and…began excavating and we did in fact locate the remains of a human being."

The remains are being analyzed by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation. Childress wouldn't confirm the sex or identity of the body.

Those living near the home where the body was found believe the remains are those of the grandfather. Neighbors said they hadn't seen Chambers' grandfather in nearly three years.

While Chambers has talked to police, they won't confirm if he has confessed to a crime.

In a phone interview from jail, Chambers told a reporter for ABC News Atlanta affiliate WSB that someone else in his family killed a family member and he had kept the secret.

"It was cowardly that I allowed it to happen," said Chambers to WSB. He declined to say who was responsible.

Police are investigating the incident as a homicide.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio


Report: Man Fired for Koran Burning Gets His Job Back

DON EMMERT/AFP/Getty Images(NEWARK, N.J.) -- A New Jersey Transit employee who burned pages of the Koran on the ninth anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks is reportedly getting his job back.

Under a settlement, the details of which were obtained by The Star-Ledger, Derek Fenton will return to his job, receive $25,000 for pain and suffering, and $331.20 in back pay for each day since his termination. The state will be required to pay the American Civil Liberties Union -- who brought on the case on Fenton’s behalf --$25,000 in legal fees.

It was his day off, and Fenton did not identify himself as an NJ Transit worker when he tore three pages from a Koran and lit them on fire last September at the site of a proposed Islamic cultural center scheduled to be built near Ground Zero in New York City.

Fenton’s actions ignited outrage -- Gov. Chris Christie at the time called the act intolerable and unacceptable -- and Fenton was eventually fired.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio


Koran-Burning Pastor in Court Over Security Costs for Latest Rally

Mario Tama/Getty Images(DEARBORN, Mich.) -- Florida pastor Terry Jones, best known for his burning of the Koran, will be in a Michigan courtroom Friday morning, where a jury will decide if he must pay a bond before rallying at a large mosque in Dearborn later.

Local officials say the money will be used to cover extra security for the demonstration, but Jones says he shouldn't have to pay.

"We have had several demonstrations around America, and not one time have we had any act of violence," Jones said.

Several weeks ago, Jones burned a Koran, which was followed by killings in Afghanistan.  But he denies that anything he does sparks violence.

"Would we kill someone if someone burned the Bible?  Uh, it poses no threat to those people, uh, those people are 7,000 miles away -- it might insult them, it might anger them, but it's definitely no reason for violence, no," he said.

Jones also said he's ready to go to jail if need be.

"There's no better day to go to jail than Good Friday or, or the day of resurrection.  This is the day that Jesus died -- this is not a holiday, this is not time to get out the barbecue pit -- this is the time that Jesus died on the cross for our sins, so of course there is no better day," he said.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio


New York Cat Needs Name After Mysterious Journey

Thinkstock/Getty Images (file)(NEW YORK) -- Ginger from Gilligan's Island. The Unsinkable Molly Brown -- think Titanic. Salty. And even Snookie. Those are some of the names being considered for the stray calico cat that has made her home on Governors Island in New York Harbor.

According to Leslie Koch, president of the Trust for Governors Island, the cat was found Sunday night by security guards making the rounds on the island's north shore.

"We don't know where she came from. Her fur was a little matted. There was salt in her fur," Koch said. "There was a piece of seaweed around her foot."

Soaking rains in New Jersey last weekend may have forced the feline to swim across the mile-wide harbor from New Jersey, or she may have come from Brooklyn, said island spokeswoman Elizabeth Rapuano. She said the new visitor was a great addition to the 172-acre island, though.

"We are enjoying having her," Rapuano said. "She adjusted here very quickly."

The island's blog solicited names for the orange, white and black castaway and so far has about 1,000 suggestions -- including Odysseus, Gov'Nor and Gertrude (for the first woman to swim the English Channel).

Rapuano and Koch said they'd received calls from a number of people saying they'd lost a cat. The island is getting advice from animal groups on how best to proceed.

The two said they would pick a few popular name suggestions and then put them up for a public vote. It is the first time there's been a cat on the island because it is pet-free. The cat arrived a bit early for tourist season -- the island doesn't open to the public until Memorial Day weekend.

They said they planned to have the cat seen by a vet next week, though she seemed healthy.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio


Are Arkansas' Natural Gas Injection Wells Causing Earthquakes?

Stockbyte/Thinkstock(GUY, Ark.) -- Hundreds of small- and medium-scale earthquakes have been rattling the area around Guy, Arkansas, and residents say wastewater injection wells being drilled in their area are to blame.

"It gives new meaning to the term 'rock your world,'" said resident Johnny Passmore.  "There is no foundation.  You are just shaking and you can't go anywhere because it's shaking."

In February, shocks from a 4.7-magnitude earthquake near the town were felt as far away as Memphis, Tennessee, the biggest quake in the region in 35 years.

These earthquakes are the newest development in the raging national argument over the safety of drilling for natural gas.

Josh Fox, the director of the Oscar-nominated documentary Gasland, questioned the industry's claims of natural gas as a clean energy source.  His film is critical of a drilling method called hydraulic fracturing, otherwise known as "fracking," where fluid is injected into rock, breaking it to release natural gas.

Just days after the 4.7-magnitude quake in February, state regulators pressured energy companies into voluntarily shutting down two injection wells closest to the fault line.  Chesapeake Energy, now owned by BHP Billiton, owned one of the wells at the time.

"We do not agree with the conclusions," said Chesapeake Energy spokesman Danny Games in a recent television interview.  "We believe there is a lot of natural seismicity in this area and there's a lot more sub-surface data, and science and facts that need to be brought to bear."

A public hearing is scheduled Tuesday for both sides to present their data and decide whether or not the injection wells should be re-opened.  There is a moratorium on building any new injection wells until this summer.

Since the two injection wells were shut down in March, the earthquakes have not completely stopped in Arkansas.  But Scott Ausbrooks, a geologist with the Arkansas Geological Survey and a lead detective on the case, said they have tapered off dramatically.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio


Colorado Boy, 8, Awarded $375K Over Drunk-Driving Crash that Killed His Mom 

Jupiterimages/Thinkstock(DENVER) -- An eight-year-old boy in Colorado has won $375,000 in damages after suing an insurance company over the drunk driver who killed his mother in a car crash.

A jury in Douglas County Court reached a verdict Thursday in the civil suit in which the boy, Damon Marquand, was the lead plaintiff.

The suit stemmed from a crash in August 2009 in which Dominick Wilmer, then 26, was speeding at 110 mph at 2 a.m. when he lost control of the car.

Wilmer survived with minor injuries, but Damon's mother, Grace Cruthers, 29, and Jonathan Richardson, 26, both passengers, were killed.

Wilmer was convicted of two counts of vehicular homicide and sentenced to 13 years in prison, according to the Douglas County Sheriff's Office.

The jury awarded $350,000 plus costs -- nearly three times as much as American Family Insurance had offered as a settlement prior to trial, according to lawyer Ethan McQuinn, whose firm represented Damon.

"This has always been about an eight-year-old who lost his mother through no fault of his own," said McQuinn. "Nothing can replace his mother's love, but we're thankful he's a resilient kid."

He said Damon's grandfather, Dave Cruthers, who has custody of the boy, was "emotionally exhausted" after the verdict and was not immediately available for comment. But earlier this week Cruthers told KMGH News in Denver, an ABC affiliate, that he just wanted Damon to get what he deserves.

Wilmer has expressed his remorse on a MySpace page. A friend wrote there: "Dom is currently serving time for a very tragic accident that took the lives of two wonderful people, he is really trying to turn his life around. He says to tell all God bless, and please be smart and don't make any of the stupid decisions he did, and get yourself where he is."

A spokesman for American Family Insurance, Steve Witmer, said before the verdict that the company tried to settle to avoid a jury trial.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio


Roger Clemens' Defense Lays Out Trial Strategy, Calls McNamee 'Congenital Liar'

Brand X Pictures/Thinkstock(WASHINGTON) -- Roger Clemens' defense attorneys Thursday laid out a key part of their defense strategy for July's upcoming trial, revealing that they intend to show that Clemens' former trainer, Brian McNamee, has continually lied about Clemens' alleged steroid use.

"There's congenital liar syndrome," said Rusty Hardin, Clemens' defense attorney, at a pre-trial hearing. "We will contend that he [McNamee] is still lying to these prosecutors even today."

Hardin motioned to the two assistant U.S. attorneys who plan to call McNamee as one of their key witnesses.

Clemens was indicted last August on charges of obstruction of Congress, perjury and false statements for testimony he gave to Congress regarding any use of performance-enhancing drugs, specifically steroids and human growth hormone, or HGH. Clemens is charged with making the false statements to congressional investigators in a Feb. 5, 2008 deposition, and the perjury charges involve his Feb. 13, 2008 testimony before the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee.

Hardin argued at the preliminary hearing before Judge Reggie Walton of the need to obtain documents and memos from former Sen. George Mitchell's law firm, DLA Piper, which conducted the work for the Mitchell Report that reported the findings of Major League Baseball's investigation into steroid use.

The Clemens defense team subpoenaed documents from DLA Piper relating to interviews Mitchell Report investigators did with former big leaguer Jose Canseco, McNamee and Kirk Radomski, an admitted steroid dealer who pleaded guilty to money laundering and selling anabolic steroids and HGH.

Thursday's hearing focused on efforts by Mitchell's law firm to quash the subpoena, citing attorney-client privilege and attorney work product.

Attorneys from DLA Piper argued that their work, limited to 20 documents, was attorney work product and that the files were prepared in anticipation of litigation stemming from Mitchell's investigation. They told the court that they had handed over some documents to the Clemens' defense team but the other documents were protected.

Hardin alleged that McNamee has kept changing his story even from his first meeting with federal prosecutors and later with claims about physical evidence he had.

Walton ruled from the bench that he would review the documents that DLA Piper has in its possession and will decide if they should be turned over to Clemens defense team.

Walton denied a defense request to seek additional documents from the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee. Counsel for the House of Representatives argued that the documents are protected under the speech and debate clause of the Constitution, which isolates the executive branch from interfering with Congress.

Walton added that the information Clemens' lawyers were seeking was obtainable in other ways.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio 


Phylicia Barnes, Missing North Carolina Teen, Found Dead Near Baltimore

Comstock/Thinkstock(BALTIMORE) -- The body of Phylicia Barnes, a star student from North Carolina, was discovered in Maryland on Wednesday, police said. She had been missing since December.

Anthony Guglielmi of the Baltimore Police confirmed Thursday that investigators found not one, but two bodies Wednesday near the Susquehanna River about 35 miles from Baltimore.

One is that of the 17-year-old Barnes. The identity of the second body was not immediately made clear.

Workers at the Conowingo Dam spotted Barnes' body floating in the water around 7:30 Wednesday morning and notified state troopers in the area, according to Maryland State Police spokesman Greg Shipley. While investigators were still in the area, they discovered a second body floating three or four miles south of the dam a few hours later.

At the Maryland state police headquarters in Baltimore, Guglielmi said they hope to have preliminary results from an autopsy.

Barnes was 16 when she went missing Dec. 28 during a trip to visit her half-sister. She would have turned 17 in January.

Barnes was from Monroe, N.C., a straight-"A" student, and was last heard from on Dec. 28, 2010, via Facebook when she posted a note saying she was at her sister's apartment with her sister's boyfriend.

The disappearance of Alabama teen Natalee Holloway in Aruba nearly seven years ago sparked a media frenzy, as has the apparent abduction of the nursing student Holly Bobo in Indiana. But news coverage was relatively sparse in Phylicia's case, raising accusations of a double standard in media coverage.

Speaking about the lack of national media coverage back in January, a Baltimore police spokesman said, "Birds are falling out of the sky in Arkansas and two headed calves, and this girl may lose her life."

The Baltimore Mayor's Office said it shares the concern about the possible existence of a double-standard in the coverage of Phylicia's disappearance but is more distressed about the case because it was so heartbreaking.

"You see other cases that get attention, other kids that go missing and it's immediately up on television and you know, I know there's frustration," said Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio


Cobb County, Georgia Teen Driver Charged with Mother's Death

Comstock/Thinkstock(COBB COUNTY, Ga.) -- Just days after burying his mother, a 16-year-old boy from Cobb County, Georgia has been charged with second-degree vehicular homicide and failure to yield because he was driving in the accident that killed her.

Kimberly Nichols, 45, died last Wednesday as the boy, whose name is being withheld because he is a minor, made a left turn from Dallas Highway onto Old Hamilton Road in Cobb County.

"It was green. There was a box truck on the other side turning also. They eased up. They both looked. She told him to go. He looked. They went," Nichols' husband, Michael Mosley, told ABC Atlanta affiliate WSB-TV.

A Ford Mustang slammed into them as they made the turn, sending them spinning into a collision with another car and causing the injuries that killed Nichols.

"He's got to live with this the rest of his life, there's no reason to charge my son with no second-degree homicide," Mosley told WSB.

According to the Cobb County Police Department, Georgia law requires that the Special Traffic Enforcement Program (STEP) Unit, a group of officers who have an expertise in the area of crash reconstruction and investigation, be brought to the scene in the event of a crash causing fatal or critical injuries. After a thorough investigation, police said the STEP unit recommended that the teen be charged based on the evidence gathered.

"It is the job of those officers to investigate that crash and present it to the prosecution," Sgt. Dana Pierce, a spokesman for the Cobb County Police Department, told ABC News. "They will take the evidence and they will take the case and apply it to Georgia law, and the evidence they have as it applies to Georgia law gives them the legal authority to file charges against the at-fault driver...and that's what they've done in this case."

Michael Mosley said he thinks it is unfair to force his son to go through this ordeal so soon after the death of his mother. "We just got over a funeral for her, and he's trying to start to heal just a little bit," he told WSB.

The police department has received many emails critical of the decision, but Sgt. Pierce said Georgia law does not allow the police to consider emotions in cases.

"We are all grandfathers and parents, nobody knows the sensitivity and the heartfelt sadness that we have for, not only that 16-year-old, but that family as well," said Sgt. Pierce. "But understand that we have a job to do. And that job is to completely investigate that crash."

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio 

ABC News Radio