(STATE COLLEGE, Pa.) -- Former Penn State football coach Jerry Sandusky refused to answer questions on Sunday about charges he molested eight boys over a 15-year period, telling ABC News his lawyers told him not to discuss the allegations.
"The situation is in the courts and I'm not to make any comments," Sandusky said outside his home in State College, Pa.
When ABC News asked again if he wanted to say that the charges against him were false, Sandusky again only said he could not say anything.
"Unfortunately, unfortunately, I'm not in the position to make any statements," he said.
Sandusky, who is a Penn State gridiron legend, having been a player and a long-time assistant coach for the Nittany Lions, will now be barred from campus, the university announced on Sunday.
Penn State athletic director Tim Curley and university vice president Gary Schultz are both being charged with perjury for allegedly not alerting police when they learned that Sandusky had allegedly sexually abused a young boy in a locker room shower in 2002. The school said on Sunday it would foot the legal bill for them.
But state prosecutors say the university failed to follow up on the allegations or to notify police.
"There is no indication that anyone from the university ever attempted to learn the identity of the child who was sexually assaulted on their campus or made any follow-up effort to obtain more information from the person who witnessed the attack first-hand," Pennsylvania Attorney General Linda Kelly said.
Sandusky, 67, who retired in 1999, continued to use the team's practice facilities to work with underprivileged boys through a foundation he started called Second Mile. The retired coach would use expensive gifts and trips to maintain contact with his victims, who were as young as 10 years old when the alleged abuse began, according to the investigation.
Sandusky allegedly even used his volunteer coaching job at a Pennsylvania high school, from which he was barred in 2009, to continue preying on a victim he had been abusing for years, the grand jury report said. He would call the boy out of class for unsupervised meetings during the day, according to school officials. A wrestling coach also testified to the grand jury that he encountered the victim and Sandusky lying face to face in a secluded weight room one evening.
The boy's mother reported her suspicions to the school and police were alerted. Thus began a two-year investigation that led to Sandusky's arrest Saturday on 40 counts that even if found guilty on one, could send him to prison for the rest of his life.
Sandusky is free on $100,000 bail and is scheduled to attend a preliminary hearing on Nov. 9.
Curley and Schultz, who both stepped down from their posts late Sunday, are scheduled to surrender on Nov. 7.
Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio