Facebook

Twitter

iTunes

Listen: ABC News Update

Tuesday
Apr032012

Oakland Shooting Suspect Is Not Remorseful: Police Chief

KIMIHIRO HOSHINO/AFP/Getty Images(OAKLAND, Calif.) -- The former student who shot up an Oakland school burst in looking for a female administrator, but he opened fire when he ordered students to line up and they didn't cooperate, police said Tuesday.

One L. Goh, 43, was being cooperative with police about why he killed seven students and wounded three others, but "he has not been particularly remorseful," Oakland Police Chief Howard Jordan said.

Goh arrived at Oikos University Monday morning asking for a specific administrator, Jordan said. When he found out that she wasn't there, Goh then pushed a secretary into a classroom and asked the students to line-up. When some students refused to comply, Goh began shooting, Jordan said.

Goh, a Korean national, was arrested Monday about an hour after his shooting rampage at Oakland's Oikos University. Five victims died at the scene, while another two died after being taken to a hospital. There is no information on the other three victims.

"We've learned that the suspect was upset with the administration at the school," Jordan said Tuesday on Good Morning America.

"He was also upset that students in the past, when he attended the school, mistreated him, disrespected him, and things of that nature. He was having, we believe, some behavioral problems at the school and was asked to leave several months ago," he continued.

"We've learned that this was a very chaotic, calculated and determined gentleman that came there with a very specific intent to kill people, and that's what his motive was and that's what he carried out," Jordan said.

The victims were six women and one man, ranging from 21 to 40 and originally from Korea, Nigeria and Nepal, according to Jordan.

Goh was deeply in debt with tens of thousands of dollars in federal tax liens against him and had two deaths in his immediate family last year. He had left behind a string of minor traffic citations in his former home state of Virginia and was evicted from one apartment complex in the state, according to ABC News affiliate KGO.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Apr032012

President Obama’s NCAA Bracket Tanks

Official White House photo by Pete Souza(NEW YORK) -- Throughout March Madness, President Obama’s bracket had been sitting pretty, ranked high atop ESPN’s Bracket Challenge leader board.

Heading into this weekend’s NCAA games, the president ranked 252,521, placing his presidential selections in the top 96th percentile of 6.5 million entries. After the first weekend of the tournament, Obama’s bracket sat in the 98th percentile.

Unfortunately for the commander in chief, he only picked two teams in the actual Final Four and did not correctly guess the 2012 NCAA men’s basketball champions.

Obama chose the North Carolina Tarheels, not John Calipari’s Wildcats, to go all the way. Instead, UNC was eliminated in the Elite Eight by the Kansas Jayhawks, the runner-up. The only contest during the Final Four where the president gained additional points was for Kentucky’s win over Louisville on Saturday.

As a result, the president’s rank tanked as millions of fans correctly picked Kentucky’s eighth national championship and many others advanced Kansas to the final. Obama finished ranked 2,347,421 with just 1020 points, placing him in the 63.6 percentile.

Three other sports fans finished in a four-way tie for the lead with 1780 points, all correctly picking Kentucky over Kansas in the final. One user, CincyFan007, submitted two of the top-ranked brackets.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Apr032012

Tornadoes Touch Down In Dallas-Fort Worth Area; Damage Reported

ABC News(DALLAS) -- At least two tornadoes touched down in the Dallas-Fort Worth area on Tuesday, carving a path of destruction before moving through northern Texas.

There was no immediate word of injuries.

At one point, live aerials from the scene showed what appeared to be a truck trailer being lifted off the ground and tossed some distance. Footage from ABC News affiliate WFAA showed rooftops flying off homes.

A tornado warning was issued early Tuesday afternoon for Dallas, Ellis, Johnson and Tarrant counties and remains in effect.

Lieutenant Tim Jones of the Johnson County Sheriff's Office told ABC News Radio that the twisters came with little warning.

“We had a tornado touch down in a rural area of our county,” he said. “Couple of homes have been hit. … Severe damage to those homes; severe damage to quite a few buildings.”
 

VIDEO: TORNADOES TEAR THROUGH DALLAS AREA
video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Apr032012

BPI Endorses USDA Voluntary Labeling of LFTB or ‘Pink Slime’

Rob Melnychuk/Getty Images(WASHINGTON) -- BPI, maker of Lean Finely Textured Beef or “pink slime,” as critics call it, is bowing to consumer pressure and endorsing a huge move by the U.S. Department of Agriculture -- the voluntary labeling of LFTB.

The government is telling producers that USDA inspectors will certify labels such as “Contains Lean Finely Textured Beef,”  “Contains Finely Textured Beef,” or “Contains Lean Beef Derived from Beef Trimmings,” and stamp them with USDA approval.

Patty Lovera of Food and Water Watch says the government is sending a message to consumers and the meat industry.

“USDA is trying to kind of split the baby,” Lover says. “They don’t require it and offend the industry, but they realize there’s a public relations problem and people are outraged about this.”

BPI, the maker of LFTB, released a statement Tuesday saying it has signed on to the USDA labeling move.

“While ground beef is a single ingredient product (beef) and lean finely textured beef therefore is not required to be listed separately on any label, we believe USDA’s decision to allow companies to voluntarily include information on their label regarding LFTB content will be an important first step in restoring consumer confidence in their ground beef,” the statement said. “Based upon the numerous taste panel studies conducted using BPI’s lean beef and strong consumer preference for ground beef that contains our LFTB, we feel this development will allow more customers to provide options to consumers and pave the way for BPI’s lean beef to reestablish its place in the market.”

The American Meat Institute says the reversal is understandable.

“If you think about everything the company has been subjected to and what I would characterize as, with all due respect, a campaign of misinformation, you can’t blame a company for trying to save itself and make sure that employees don’t lose their jobs,” AMI spokesman Mark Dopp said.

Cargill, one of the nation’s largest ground beef producers Tuesday asked the USDA for permission to give it the option to label its ground beef as containing a similar filler.  At the same time, companies that don't use LFTB have asked permission to label, too, with terms like “excludes finely textured beef” and “made without finely textured beef.”

“This is an excellent outcome in giving consumers a choice,” Bettina Siegel, a blogger at the Lunch Tray website and a mother of two who started a petition calling for full disclosure in ground beef said today. “A good first step, but USDA should not leave labeling voluntary.”

Since the first of the year, McDonalds and other fast food stores have dropped LFTB, the USDA has identified which products contain the filler for school districts, grocery stores have pulled it from shelves, and now -- for the first time -- what is inside the beef will be labeled on the outside.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Apr032012

Dick Cheney Released from Hospital After Heart Transplant Surgery

SAUL LOEB/AFP/Getty Images(FALLS CHURCH, Va.) -- Former Vice President Dick Cheney was released from the hospital on Tuesday, 10 days after receiving heart transplant surgery, according to a written statement released by his office. 

The surgery was performed at Inova Fairvax Hospital in Virgina.

“He would like to thank the physicians at Inova Fairfax and George Washington University Hospitals for the outstanding care they have provided.  He and his family are also grateful to the ICU nursing staff at the Heart and Vascular Institute,” according to the statement.  “As he leaves the hospital, the former Vice President and his family want to again express their deep gratitude to the donor and the donor’s family for this remarkable gift.”

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Apr032012

Arrests, Gunfire in Kentucky as Fans Celebrate NCAA Title

Jeff Gross/Getty Images(LEXINGTON, Ky.) -- A shooting broke out in Lexington, Ky., early Tuesday morning as thousands of University of Kentucky fans were out in the streets celebrating their team's eighth NCAA basketball championship.

According to police, the shooting happened just after 2 a.m. and left one person wounded.  The victim, who has not been identified, was transported to a nearby hospital with undetermined injuries.  No other details are known at this time.

The gunfire came hours after the Kentucky Wildcats defeated the Kansas Jayhawks, 67-59, Monday night to take the title. 

An estimated crowd of 15,000 took to the streets to cheer on the Wildcats and about 300 police officers, equipped with riot gear, were put in place to keep fans under control.

Several dozen arrests were made as the celebrations got a bit out of hand, according to police, and at least 40 small fires had to be put out.

video platform video management video solutions video player

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Apr032012

Oakland School Shooting: Suspect Had Grudge, Thousands in Debt

KGO-TV(OAKLAND, Calif.) -- The former student who authorities say gunned down and killed several people at an Oakland, Calif. nursing college held a grudge against school officials, according to Oakland police. One L. Goh was deeply in debt with tens of thousands of dollars in federal tax liens against him and had two deaths in his immediate family last year.

Goh, a 43-year-old Korean national, was apprehended Monday at a local supermarket about an hour after he allegedly killed seven people and injured three others during a shooting rampage at Oakland's Oikos University.  Five victims died at the scene, while another two died after being transported to a local hospital.  There is still no information on the other three victims.

"We've learned that the suspect was upset with the administration at the school.  He was also upset that students in the past, when he attended the school, mistreated him, disrespected him, and things of that nature," Oakland Police Chief Howard Jordan said Tuesday on ABC's Good Morning America.  "He was having, we believe, some behavioral problems at the school and was asked to leave several months ago."

"We've learned that this was a very chaotic, calculated and determined gentleman that came there with a very specific intent to kill people, and that's what his motive was and that's what he carried out," Jordan added.

Goh left behind a string of debts and minor traffic citations in his former home state of Virginia and was evicted from one apartment complex in the state, according to ABC News' Bay Area affiliate KGO.  Goh had been kicked out of Oikos University several months ago, according to the San Francisco Chronicle.

An unidentified source also told the paper that Goh might have been involved in a dispute with campus officials.

Goh also lost two family members within the past 13 months, according to the Chronicle.  His brother, U.S. Army Sgt. Su Wan Ko, died in March 2011 in an auto wreck in Virginia while on special forces training, the Chronicle reported.  His mother, Oak Chul Kim, died a year ago in Seoul, according to a neighbor who told the Chronicle that she had moved there after deciding to leave Oakland.  Goh's father, Young Nam Ko, had been living in Oakland but recently moved, neighbors said.

Goh also had federal tax liens in 2006 and 2009 totaling more than $23,000, the Chronicle reported, adding that he managed to pay off some amount of his tax debt.

video platform video management video solutions video player

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Apr032012

Experimental Plane Crash Lands into Florida Supermarket

Joseph Devenney/Getty Images(DELAND, Fla.) -- Three people were seriously injured when a small experimental plane crashed into a busy Florida supermarket Monday evening, bursting into flames and sending shoppers and employees fleeing for their lives.

The single engine plane had been in the air for just moments when it lost power and crashed into the roof of a Publix supermarket in DeLand, a city about 20 miles southwest of Daytona Beach, during the store’s busy, after-work hours, authorities said.

There were 35 shoppers and 33 employees inside the Publix when the plane hit just after 7 p.m., authorities said.  Customers who dialed 9-1-1 reported smoke and burning amid a chaotic scene.

Five people were injured in the crash, including the plane’s pilot and co-pilot.  They remain at Orlando Regional Medical Center in critical condition, according to local affiliate WFTV.

A third man is being treated for burns on his legs and the other two victims have already been released from the hospital, WFTV reported.

Authorities said they do not yet know what caused the crash.  Officials from the Federal Aviation Administration and the National Transportation Safety Board will be on the ground in DeLand on Tuesday to examine the wreckage.

Eyewitnesses reported seeing the plane in trouble from the moment it took off from the nearby DeLand Municipal Airport.  The Orlando Sentinel reported that initial reports indicated the problem was mechanical.

The Publix store is closed on Tuesday as investigators continue their work.  The plane remains inside the store.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Apr032012

Supreme Court Upholds Jail Strip Searches

iStockphoto/Thinkstock(WASHINGTON) -- Strip searches will remain a regular part of the jailing process in the U.S. after the conservative majority of the Supreme Court voted five to four on Monday that people can be "required to undergo a close visual inspection while undressed" for literally any offense.

In its ruling, the high court determined that the 13 million people admitted to jails annually must submit to a strip search if required, regardless of what crime they've allegedly committed, even when there's no suspicion that they're carrying contraband such as weapons or drugs.

Writing for the majority, Justice Anthony M. Kennedy said that courts cannot criticize the policies of corrections officials who have to be concerned with public health and information about gang affiliations in addition to weapons and drugs being possibly smuggled into jails.

The case centered around the 2005 arrest of New Jersey resident Albert W. Florence, who was arrested on an outstanding warrant based on an unpaid fine that, as it turned out, was paid.

Florence was stripped search in two jails in two counties and made to stand naked in front of a guard who told him to move intimate parts of his body.  Florence later said, "It was humiliating.  It made me feel less than a man."

Speaking for the dissenting judges, Justice Stephen Breyer of the court's liberal wing, said strip-searches were "a serious affront to human dignity and to individual privacy" and should be used only when there is cause to do so.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Apr032012

Ex-Bengals Cheerleader Pleads Not Guilty in Student Sex Case

Hemera/Thinkstock(CINCINNATI) -- A former Bengals cheerleader accused of sex abuse, and her mother, a middle school principal who allegedly covered up the crime, entered pleas of not guilty during their arraignment Monday in Kenton County, Ky.

Sarah Jones, one-time captain of the Cincinnati Ben-Gals cheerleading squad and a former high school teacher, is accused of sexually abusing a student and unlawful use of electronic means to induce a minor to engage in sexual activities.

Sarah Jones' mother, Cheryl Jones, is accused of tampering with evidence in connection with her daughter's case.  Cheryl Jones is currently suspended from her job as middle school principal pending a further investigation.

Both Sarah and Cheryl Jones were arrested following a grand jury investigation into the charges.

At the courthouse Monday, the pair was joined by a dozen supporters, including the family of the alleged victim, according to ABC News affiliate WCPO.

Though the alleged victim's family supports Sarah Jones, Jefferson County Assistant Commonwealth Attorney Sarah Farmer said the state would continue to prosecute the case against both Sarah and Cheryl Jones.

"The commonwealth feels that we have sufficient proof to go forward," Farmer told ABC News.

At the arraignment, Judge Patricia Summe ordered Sarah and Cheryl Jones to avoid contact with the alleged victim and to disable the text messaging component of their phones.

Forensic evidence for the case was collected by taking Sarah Jones' computers and phone records.

The trial date for both Sarah and Cheryl Jones was set for June 27.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio