(WASHINGTON) -- Data released Monday by the United States Census Bureau further details the plight of residents who once lived in or around the city of New Orleans. More than 31,000 people, the data shows, still do not consider themselves to be permanently settled, more than five years after the disaster.
The data was collected from a survey of more than 60,000 people -- many of whom have moved to numerous locations since having to leave greater New Orleans. Nearly 30,000 people have lived in five or more places, the data reports.
About 40 percent of respondents said they had damage to their property that exceeded $15,000. However, a lot of that was paid for by federal flood insurance money. The most recent numbers -- as of 2009 -- show that more than 65,000 residences in the New Orleans area were not habitable.
On the other hand, 30,000 residents said in the survey that they did not get the federal assistance they needed to rehabilitate their homes.
Census data released earlier this month showed that since 2000, when the last census was taken, that the population of New Orleans had dropped 29 percent.
Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio
References allow you to track sources for this article, as well as articles that were written in response to this article.
Response: news feedI like what you guys are up also. Such clever work and reporting! Keep up the excellent works guys I have incorporated you guys to my blogroll. I think it'll improve the value of my web site :).