« Police Make 'Significant' Find in Hunt for Missing Tennessee Woman | Main | Cleanup Continues in St. Louis Following Tornado »

Manhunt Continues for Colorado Mall Bomb Suspect

Federal Bureau of Investigation(LITTLETON, Colo.) -- The man who is now the subject of a nationwide manhunt was released from federal prison just seven days before allegedly rigging two propane tanks and a pipe bomb to explode in a crowded Colorado shopping mall, ABC News has learned.

Records from the Federal Bureau of Prisons indicate Earl Albert Moore, 65, was released on April 13. It is not immediately clear where Moore had been held, but he was serving a six-year sentence for bank robbery.

Law enforcement officials are being tight-lipped about any motive Moore may have had for trying to explode the bombs in the mall.

Police noted several similarities between the mall attack and the 1999 Columbine massacre. Both attacks took place on the same date, April 20, and at approximately the same time. Both used propane tanks and pipe bombs placed in similar areas -- the high school cafeteria in 1999 and the mall food court last week.

Columbine High School is just over a mile from the Southwest Plaza Mall in Littleton.

Jefferson County Sheriff Ted Mink has indicated, however, that even though the incident took place on the 12th anniversary of the Columbine massacre, he does not believe it was meant to be a copycat crime.

"It's not pointing that way quite frankly, preliminarily," Mink told ABC News. "There's a lot of dissimilarities that would make this a unique incident."

The FBI announced Sunday that it has mounted a nationwide manhunt for Moore, who is considered armed and dangerous.

He is described as 6 feet to 6 feet 2 inches tall, bald, with a gray mustache and multiple tattoos on his arms, including a rose, a dagger and a helmeted Viking.

The bombing attempt was discovered Wednesday afternoon when firefighters responded to a small blaze at the Southwest Plaza Mall and found a pipe bomb and propane tanks in a hallway near the mall's food court. No one was injured and the devices did not explode.

The incident came on the 12th anniversary of the Columbine High School shooting, when two students opened fire and killed 12 students and one teacher on April 20, 1999.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Reader Comments

There are no comments for this journal entry. To create a new comment, use the form below.

PostPost a New Comment

Enter your information below to add a new comment.

My response is on my own website »
Author Email (optional):
Author URL (optional):
Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <code> <em> <i> <strike> <strong>

ABC News Radio