(NEWTOWN, Conn.) -- Officials in Newtown, Conn., said Monday that the Sandy Hook Elementary School, where one of the deadliest school shootings in U.S. history took place last Friday, will be closed "indefinitely."
All Newtown schools were shut down on Monday to give residents more time to cope with the tragedy. Every school except for Sandy Hook is expected to re-open on Tuesday.
Connecticut State Police Lt. Paul Vance predicted authorities would spend "months" investigating the elementary school where 20 children between the ages of 6 and 7, along with six adults, were slain by a lone gunman before the shooter, 20-year-old Adam Lanza, took his own life.
The home Adam Lanza shared with his mother, Nancy Lanza, is under investigation as a crime scene because she was slain by her son before he began his murderous rampage at the school.
Late Monday, it was reported that a computer hard drive found at the Lanza home had been badly damaged and may not reveal much evidence that could point to reasons why the onslaught took place.
Meanwhile, the town of Monroe has offered to open Chalk Hill School, which is not currently being used, to Sandy Hill students and staff, the Newtown Board of Education said in a statement.
The neighboring community's school is expected to be ready to accommodate students in the next few days, though an exact schedule has not yet been published.
Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio