SEARCH
« California High School Evacuated Due to Bomb Threat | Main | Crane Collapses at National Cathedral in DC »
Wednesday
Sep072011

Pentagon Raises Threat Level At Bases In Advance of 9/11

US Dept of Defense(WASHINGTON) -- In advance of the Sept. 11 ten-year anniversary the Pentagon is raising the force protection levels at military bases in the U.S. 

Pentagon Press Secretary George Little says that in recent days, Defense Secretary Panetta approved a request to raise the security level made by USNORTHCOM commander Army Gen. Charles H. Jacoby Jr.  Little said the action was being taken out as a precaution and was not in response to a specific or credible terror threat.  He also pointed to al Qaeda’s past focus on anniversaries and milestones.  

Joint Chiefs of Staff spokesman Capt. John Kirby said the increase was in keeping with DHS Secretary Janet Napolitano’s comments last week for increased vigilance as Sept. 11 approaches.

As a matter of policy the Pentagon doesn’t discuss force protection levels, leaving it up to local bases, US military bases are typically at Force Protection Level Bravo, this means they’d be raised to Charlie. 

Force protection levels aren’t really a secret as some bases  even post their force protection levels on signs at base entrances.

Kirby added that the increase would lead to some visible indicators of increased security and others that aren’t so visible.  

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Reader Comments

There are no comments for this journal entry. To create a new comment, use the form below.

PostPost a New Comment

Enter your information below to add a new comment.

My response is on my own website »
Author Email (optional):
Author URL (optional):
Post:
 
Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <code> <em> <i> <strike> <strong>






ABC News Radio