SEARCH

Entries in 9-11 (3)

Wednesday
May182011

United Airlines 'Glitch' Brings Back 9/11 Flight Numbers

United Continental Airlines(WASHINGTON) -- After September 11, 2001, United Airlines retired the flight numbers of its two planes used in the attacks: Flights 93 and 175. But the airline said Wednesday that a computer glitch earlier this week allowed those numbers to be assigned to forthcoming flights.

"We regret that these flight numbers were inadvertently reinstated in our system," United said in a statement. "We have already taken steps to remove them and apologize for the error."

United says no flights labeled 93 or 175 ever took off.

In a statement, the pilots of United Airlines said that the "reinstatement of Flight Numbers 93 and 175…demonstrates an absolute and blatant disrespect of the pilots, crew and passengers who lost their lives on that date."

United maintains it was computer error -- a glitch brought upon by the company's merger with Continental Airlines -- that caused the apparent snafu.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio´╗┐

Saturday
Nov132010

Alleged 9-11 Mastermind Won't Soon Face US Trial, Report Says

Photo Courtesy - FBI/Getty Images(WASHINGTON) -- The alleged mastermind of the 9-11 attacks is expected to remain in military detention at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, without going to trial, as once planned.

The Washington Post reports that administration officials now believe Khalid Sheikh Mohammed cannot be put on trial in federal court in New York City until at least after the 2012 presidential election because of fierce opposition from members of congress and local officials.

The U.S. this week said it was "close to a decision" regarding the timing and location of the trial.

"The process is an ongoing one, we are working to make a determination about the placement of that trial," said U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder.

Following Holder’s comment, Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., released a statement voicing his concern, saying, "the trial should not and will not be in New York."

Copyright 2010 ABC News Radio

Thursday
Sep232010

U.S. Security Officials: Threat From Within Remains Concern

Image Courtesy - ABC News(WASHINGTON) -- The nation’s top counterterrorism officials were blunt. The threat from within -- of Americans willing to commit terrorist acts -- is growing.

FBI Director Robert Mueller said at a Congressional hearing Wednesday that a spike in recent terror cases is direct evidence of the evolving threat.

“It appears domestic extremism and radicalization appears to have become more pronounced based on the number of disruptions and incidents,” Mueller said. The FBI chief appeared before the Senate Homeland Security and Government Affairs committee along with Department of Homesland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano and National Counterterrorism Center Chief Michael Leiter.

“During the past year our nation has dealt with the most significant developments in the terrorist threat to the Homeland since 9/11,” Michael Leiter told the committee.

In addition to the failed New York subway plot of Sept. 2009, the Christmas Day bombing attempt during the holiday season, and last spring’s foiled Times Square car bombing attempt, scores of Americans have been charged with terror-related offenses.

“We are all seeing increased activities by more diverse set of groups, and a more diverse set of threats," Napolitano said.´╗┐

Copyright 2010 ABC News Radio. Image Courtesy: ABC News.







ABC News Radio