SEARCH

Entries in 911 Tapes (3)

Thursday
Dec292011

Police Release Audio of 911 Call in Christmas Day Massacre

Jupiterimages/Thinkstock(GRAPEVINE, Texas) -- Police released audio Wednesday evening from a 911 call they believe was placed by the gunman who allegedly killed seven people, including himself, in Grapevine, Texas, when he entered a house dressed as Santa Claus Christmas morning.

Authorities believe Aziz Yazdanpanah, 56, made the call from his estranged wife's apartment after killing her and two of his children, along with three other relatives.  He later took his own life.

In the recording, the caller can be heard whispering to the 911 operator "Help. Help," and later saying "I'm shooting people."

Police said special equipment had to be used to decipher what the caller was saying.

"The newly discovered audio was not heard on the original audio software over many playbacks, and was not heard/understood by the dispatcher who took the call on Sunday," Grapevine police spokesman Lt. Todd Dearing said in a statement.

Meanwhile, a candlelight vigil was held in Grapevine Wednesday night to remember the victims of the shooting.

Listen to the 911 call below, posted by ABC News affiliate WFAA-TV:

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Thursday
Sep082011

New 9/11 Tapes Show Desperate Search for Hijacked Planes

James Hardy/PhotoAlto Agency RF Collections/Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- For the first time, the full audio recordings of communications between military and civilian air traffic controllers as they were dealing with the hijackings on Sept. 11, 2001, have been made public.

The multimedia document, published by the Rutgers Law Review, provides a rare real-time look at how government agencies were responding as the hijacking of the four planes was unfolding.

"We have a problem here.  We have hijacked aircraft headed towards New York and we need you guys to, we need someone to scramble some F-16s or something up here to help us out," a worker at Boston Center's Traffic Management Unit said at 8:37 a.m., according to the recordings.  No planes had struck any targets yet.

[CLICK HERE TO LISTEN TO THE NEWLY-RELEASED 9/11 TAPES]

The official on the other end of the line, unaware they were minutes away from witnessing firsthand the worst terror attack in U.S. history, asked if it was all a test.

"No, this is not an exercise, this is not a test," the worker said.

While some of the recordings had been played during the 9/11 Commission hearings in 2004, other parts had not been heard before they were transferred to the National Archives after the commission was shut down the same year.

Another portion showed the abject horror from officials as they witnessed United Flight 175 slamming into the World Trade Center.

"Hey, can you look out your window right now?... Can you see a guy at about 4,000 feet, about five East of the airport right now?... Do you see that guy -- look -- is he descending into the building also?" one official asks another.  Seconds after the person on the other end of the line says yes to all the hurried questions, the plane explodes inside the South Tower of the World Trade Center.

"Wow.  Another one just hit it hard.  Another one just hit the World Trade," someone says in the background of the recording.  "Oh my God."

The 9/11 Commission staff had started compiling the recordings and transcripts into the multimedia document released Thursday but had not completed it in time to be released with the 9/11 Commission report.

Miles Kara, a retired Army colonel and investigator for the 9/11 Commission, aided by a team from the Rutgers School of Law whose dean is former 9/11 Commission Senior Counsel John Farmer, dug out the original electronic files and completed what commission staff called the "audio monograph".

According to The New York Times, which first reported on the release of these recordings, one key tape remains unreleased: the recording from the last half hour in the cockpit of United Flight 93 that crashed in Pennsylvania instead of its intended target in Washington, D.C.  The families of the passengers who took on the hijackers requested the audio not be made public.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Oct192010

Search for Zahra Baker: 911 Tapes Released

Photo Courtesy - ABC News(HICKORY, N.C.) -- The Hickory, North Carolina police department Tuesday released the tapes of the two 911 calls that Adam and Elisa Baker made around the time their 10-year-old daughter, Zahra Baker, was reported missing.

WSOC-TV in Charlotte obtained the tape of the first call.  On Oct. 9, the day Zahra disappeared, her stepmother, Elisa Baker, reported a fire in the back of the family's home in Hickory.

"My husband works for a tree maintenance company and our backyard is on fire....We've got big mulch piles and wood piles...firewood and stuff," Elisa Baker told the 911 operator.

Police told WSOC-TV that they now believe the fire had been set deliberately, but no one has been charged in connection with the incident.

Eight hours later on the morning of Oct. 10, Adam Baker, 33, made a second 911 call to report his daughter was missing, police said.

"Hey, how are you doing? I need police," Baker said to one dispatcher, before he was transferred to a second dispatcher who took down his information.

On the tape with the second dispatcher, of which ABC News obtained a recording, Baker can be heard describing how the police had been out to his house the night before on a seemingly different case.

"The police were out here last night after finding a ransom note for my boss's daughter, I got up a little while ago and it appears they took my daughter instead of my boss's daughter," he told the 911 operator, saying that he last saw his daughter around 2:30 a.m. that night.

"I don't know if they set a fire in the yard to distract us to go out and then they snuck in the door, or, I don't know," he continued.  "Somebody had put gas in my company's truck that I drive for work.  They left the ransom note on the company vehicle to my boss saying they had his daughter and his son was next."

Later in the call, Baker can be heard chuckling with the dispatcher after he described his daughter's disappearance.

"My daughter's coming into puberty so she's in that brooding stage, so we only see her when she comes out, when she wants something," he said.

A prime suspect in the case, Elisa Baker, 42, is currently being held on an obstruction of justice charge after police said she admitted to writing the fake ransom note and demanding $1 million in unmarked bills.  Her court-appointed attorney said Elisa is "scared to death" and very emotional.  Baker continues to deny she had anything to do with Zahra's disappearance.

Hickory police also announced Tuesday that they are asking for Zahra's medical records, including the model, serial number and composition of the artificial leg she received from an Australian medical facility.  Deputy Police Chief Maj. Clyde Deal told ABC News that this was standard procedure for any case.  The 10-year-old had lost her hearing and left leg to cancer.

Authorities confirmed over the weekend that the missing girl was last seen alive on Sept. 25. 

Copyright 2010 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio