SEARCH

Entries in Accuser (4)

Monday
Nov282011

Newest Cain Accuser Has History of Financial Trouble

Scott Eells/Bloomberg via Getty Images(ATLANTA) -- Like one of his earlier accusers, the latest woman to accuse Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain of sexual misconduct has a history of financial trouble, with a threat of eviction for non-payment of rent just two weeks ago.

Ginger White, who claimed in an interview with Atlanta Fox News affiliate WAGA to have had a 13-year affair with Cain, has liens and civil judgments in Kentucky and Georgia dating back to 1994.

Eleven of those liens have been filed since 2009, with nine in 2011. The owners of her apartment complex in Dunwoody, Georgia have sued her for non-payment of rent nearly every month since the beginning of the year.

White, a 46-year-old unemployed single mother who is at least twice divorced, was described by WAGA as an Atlanta-area businesswoman. While living in Louisville, Kentucky, she worked at Recruitment Plus, LLC. According to WAGA, she filed a sex harassment claim against an employer ten years ago, and the case was settled. The station also found a bankruptcy filing from the late 1980s.

In January, there is a scheduled court date in an unrelated civil suit filed against her by a former business partner, Kimberly Vay, who alleges that White stalked and harassed her and had sought a protective order. A judge has entered a default judgment in Vay's favor.

White said in her interview that her alleged affair with Cain was "pretty simple."

"It wasn't complicated," said White. "I was aware that he was married. And I was also aware that I was involved in a very inappropriate situation, relationship."

WAGA reported that White provided documentation to support her claims, including cellphone records indicating calls and texts from Cain, some in the early-morning hours. White also claimed Cain flew her to different cities and lavished her with gifts.

"He made it very intriguing, very fun," White said. "It was something that took me away from my humdrum life at the time."

An attorney for White told WAGA that Cain had also provided financial support to White when she fell on hard times.

Cain spoke out about White's allegations just minutes before her interview aired. Cain said on CNN Monday there would be "another accusation that I had an affair with someone, a woman."

Before WAGA's broadcast, Cain said that he knew the woman and had considered her a friend but emphatically denied any affair took place.

"I want to get out in front of [the story] because I have nothing to hide," Cain said. "I have done nothing wrong."

Cain has previously denied accusations of sexual harassment leveled against him by several women both publicly and privately.

Cain's attorney, Lin Wood, provided WAGA with a statement before the broadcast saying White's claim "appears to be an accusation of private, alleged consensual conduct between adults -- a subject matter which is not a proper subject of inquiry by the media or the public."

"No individual, whether a private citizen, a candidate for public office or a public official, should be questioned about his or her private sexual life," Wood's statement said, according to WAGA. That statement, apparently made before Cain's appearance on CNN, said the presidential candidate would not speak about the allegations.

In a statement, Cain's campaign called the accusations just another attempt to "derail the Cain Train."

"The Cain Campaign is not surprised that another female accuser has come forward due to the fact that earlier allegations were unable to force Herman Cain to drop his presidential bid to renew America," the campaign said in a statement.

The accusations came just two weeks after Cain's wife of 43 years, Gloria, made a rare public appearance to defend her husband and deny he had ever strayed. "His conscience would bother him and he couldn't look me straight in the eye."

Sharon Bialek of Chicago came forward on Nov. 7 to allege while Cain was president of the National Restaurant Association in 1997, he had sexually harassed her.

According to Bialek, she sought his help finding employment during a meeting in Washington. Bialek claims that after drinks and dinner, Cain stuck his hand up her skirt and tried to pull her head toward his crotch.

"I said, 'What are you doing?'" alleged Bialek, who said she had contacted Cain for help getting a job. "You know I have a boyfriend. This isn't what I came here for."

According to Bialek, Cain answered, "You want a job, right?"

According to public documents reviewed by ABC News, Bialek, 50, has a history of job changes and financial woes over the past two decades.

She has declared bankruptcy twice, and has lost multiple court judgments for debts totaling more than $10,000.

Bialek filed for bankruptcy in 1991 and again in 2001. Among the debts listed in 2001 are over $14,000 in credit card charges and more than $17,000 owed to the lawyer who handled a paternity case.

As of August 2011, she owed the Illinois Dept. of Revenue $4,384. By 2009, she owed the federal government $5,176 in taxes for years 2004 and 2005. There was also a lien for $885 filed against her in 2006 by a company that installed a water heater in her apartment. It was not clear if Bialek has repaid the debts.

In 2000, a judge awarded plaintiff Broadacre Management $4930.77 for unpaid rent, which included court costs. Broadacre was listed as a creditor on her 2001 Chapter 7 bankruptcy filing. Last year Bialek lost a default judgment for more than $3,500 to Illinois Lending, according to Cook County online court records, and in 2005 lost another judgment in a separate case for more than $3,000.

Cain campaign spokesman J.D. Gordon said in a statement that Bialek's accusations were false and that Cain's opponents were behind them. He claimed that Cain's opponents "have now convinced a woman with a long history of severe financial difficulties, including personal bankruptcy, to falsely accuse the Republican frontrunner of events allegedly occurring well over a decade ago for which there is no record, nor even a complaint filed."

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Monday
Jul252011

Exclusive: Dominique Strauss-Kahn's Accuser Speaks Out

In an exclusive interview ABC News' Robin Roberts speaks with the hotel employee who alleges she was sexually assaulted by former International Monetary Fund chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn. (ABC News)(NEW YORK) -- The hotel maid who has accused former International Monetary Fund chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn of trying to sexually assault her in a New York City hotel room is ending her public silence in an exclusive broadcast interview with ABC News.

"I want justice. I want him to go to jail," Nafissatou Diallo told ABC's Robin Roberts. "I want him to know that there is some places you cannot use your money, you cannot use your power when you do something like this."

Strauss-Kahn may not go to jail. Manhattan District Attorney Cy Vance is considering whether to drop the charges amid "concerns" he has said he has about Diallo's credibility.

Diallo was asked about the instances that caused prosecutors to "reassess the strength of the case." Diallo acknowledged "mistakes," but also said they should not preclude Vance's office from going forward.

"God is my witness I'm telling the truth. From my heart. God Knows that. And he knows that," she said.

The woman whose accusations upended the politics of France and the workings of one of the world's most prominent banking institutions was unequivocal in her assertion that Strauss-Kahn attacked her inside room 2806 at the Sofitel Hotel.

"I never want to be in public but I have no choice," Diallo told ABC News, adding "Now, I have to be in public. I have to, for myself. I have to tell the truth."

She reenacted moments of the alleged assault, at one point kneeling on the floor to describe how she says Strauss-Kahn tried to force her to commit a sex act.

"I turned my head, he comes to me, and grab my breasts," she said. "I said, 'Stop! Stop! I don't want to lose my job.'"

Diallo said she did not know who Strauss-Kahn was prior to the encounter May 14. Once she learned his identity she said she thought she would be killed.

"And then they say he's going to be the next president of France. And I say, oh my God! And I was crying. I said, 'they're gonna kill me.'"

Until now Diallo's identity had been protected. She said she is coming forward now to defend her story and her reputation, which has been besmirched by tabloid headlines calling her a prostitute.

"I'm not," Diallo said.

Defense attorneys for Strauss-Kahn categorically deny any criminal wrongdoing occurred. They have suggested what happened inside the hotel suite was consensual and, in a statement, they called Diallo's interview an "unseemly circus."

"Its obvious purpose is to inflame public opinion against a defendant in a pending criminal case," William Taylor and Benjamin Brafman wrote in a statement.

The Manhattan District Attorney's office declined to comment on the interview.

"This is a pending criminal case," DA spokeswoman Erin Duggan said. "To protect the integrity of the criminal justice system, the rights of the victim, and the rights of the accused, we will not discuss the facts or evidence in what remains an ongoing investigation."

The interview took place in the Manhattan office of Diallo's attorney, Kenneth Thompson. He told ABC News he plans to file a civil lawsuit against Strauss-Kahn on his client's behalf within days.

"There's no mystery. There's no hiding the fact. This man attempted to rape her," Thompson said.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Sunday
Jul242011

Exclusive: Dominique Strauss-Kahn Accuser Tells Her Story to ABC News

In an exclusive interview ABC News' Robin Roberts speaks with the hotel employee who alleges she was sexually assaulted by former International Monetary Fund chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn. (Heidi Gutman/ABC News)(NEW YORK) -- The hotel maid who has accused former International Monetary Fund chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn of trying to sexually assault her in a New York City hotel room has broken her public silence in an exclusive broadcast interview with ABC News.

"I want justice. I want him to go to jail," Nafissatou Diallo told ABC's Robin Roberts in an interview to air Monday on Good Morning America, World News with Diane Sawyer, Nightline, and affiliates of ABC News Radio. "I want him to know that there is some places you cannot use your money, you cannot use your power when you do something like this."

Strauss-Kahn may not go to jail. Manhattan District Attorney Cy Vance is considering whether to drop the charges amid "concerns" he has said he has about Diallo's credibility.

There were no restrictions on the interview, and Diallo was asked about the instances that caused prosecutors to "reassess the strength of the case." Diallo acknowledged "mistakes," but also said they should not preclude Vance's office from going forward.

"God is my witness I'm telling the truth. From my heart. God knows that. And he knows that," she said.

The woman whose accusations upended the politics of France and the workings of one of the world's most prominent banking institutions was unequivocal in her assertion that Strauss-Kahn attacked her inside room 2806 at the Sofitel Hotel.

She reenacted moments of the alleged assault, at one point kneeling on the floor to describe how she says Strauss-Kahn tried to force her to commit a sex act.

"I never want to be in public but I have no choice," Diallo told ABC News, adding, "Now, I have to be in public. I have to, for myself. I have to tell the truth."

Defense attorneys for Strauss-Kahn categorically deny any criminal wrongdoing occurred. They have said what happened inside the hotel suite was consensual and, in a statement, they called Diallo's interview an "unseemly circus."

"Its obvious purpose is to inflame public opinion against a defendant in a pending criminal case," William Taylor and Benjamin Brafman wrote in a statement.

The interview took place in the Manhattan office of Diallo's attorney, Kenneth Thompson. He told ABC News he plans to file a civil lawsuit against Strauss-Kahn on his client's behalf.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Thursday
Apr142011

Duke Rape Accuser Crystal Mangum May Face Murder Charges

Jupiterimages/Comstock/Thinkstock(DURHAM, N.C.) -- Crystal Mangum, the woman who claimed three Duke lacrosse players raped her five years ago, could soon be facing murder charges after the man she's accused of stabbing has died.

Mangum, 32, allegedly stabbed live-in boyfriend Reginald Daye, 46, during an April 3 argument. According to Durham, N.C., police, Mangum stabbed him in the torso with a kitchen knife. He was taken to Duke University Hospital and treated for serious injuries. Daye died Wednesday evening, according to police.

"More than likely, we will be upgrading the charge to murder," Durham Police Chief Jose Lopez Sr. told The Herald Sun of Durham Wednesday.


During a 911 call, a man requesting an ambulance to the residence said Mangum was the attacker. "I told him she was trouble from the very beginning," the man said.

A man who said he was the victim's cousin told ABC affiliate WTVD that Mangum and the victim had a brief relationship.

"I mean he was excited," the man said. "He was like, 'Man, guess who I'm dating now.' He was excited, but I told him, 'Man, you know her background. Be careful.'"

Mangum is currently being held in jail on a $300,000 bond and charged with assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill.

In February 2010, Mangum was arrested and charged with attempted murder, arson and child abuse after an argument with Milton Walker, then her boyfriend. According to police, she attacked Walker and set his clothes on fire in the bathtub while three children were present. She also allegedly told Walker "I'm going to stab you [expletive]!" in front of officers.

She was found guilty in December of three counts of child abuse, injury to personal property and resisting a public officer. She was sentenced to 88 days in jail, which she had already served while awaiting trial. The felony arson charge was dismissed.

In 2006, Mangum accused three Duke lacrosse players of raping her at an off-campus party. She and another dancer had been paid to perform for the team. Her story was eventually found to be false and a year later charges against the players were dropped.

In 2008, she graduated from college with a degree in police psychology and released a memoir titled, That Last Dance for Grace: The Crystal Mangum Story.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio