SEARCH

Entries in Air Force Base (4)

Monday
Nov212011

Man Barricades Himself Inside Colorado Air Force Base

Comstock/Thinkstock

UPDATE: (SCHRIEVER AIR FORCE BASE, Colo.) -- The standoff with an armed airman at Schriever Air Force Base has ended peacefully, according to KRDO-TV.

Officials say the 21-year-old unidentified man surrendered himself to authorities around 8 p.m. local time.

(SCHRIEVER AIR FORCE BASE, Colo.) -- A man who authorities believe is armed has reportedly barricaded himself inside the base deployment building at Colorado’s Schriever Air Force Base.

The suspect -- a member of the 50th Security Forces Squadron -- does not have hostages, the Army base’s public affairs office said, according to KRDO-TV.

A negotiator and other law enforcement personnel have been dispatched to the scene.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Friday
Sep162011

Arizona Air Force Base Lockdown Ends; Report of Standoff False

John Foxx/Thinkstock(TUSCON, Ariz.) -- A lockdown was lifted at the Davis-Monthan Air Force Base in Arizona, after reports of a possibly armed intruder in a base building turned out to be unfounded.

Col. John Cherrey, commander of the 355th Fighter Squadron, came to the base's main gate at 9 p.m. ET and told local reporters that a search of the "old dorm" building did not turn up a suspect or a weapon.

"No gunman or weapon was found," Cherrey said, "and the building was declared secure."

Earlier, a U.S. official confirmed a local report that an individual with a weapon was holed up in the building.

Federal law enforcement officials told ABC News that the FBI was assisting with the matter.

The lockdown was imposed as officials tried to chase down a report of a suspicious person, possibly with a gun, going into the old dorm.

"Earlier today, somebody was seen carrying something that might have been a weapon, no one knows what that was, but it's our duty to investigate," Tech. Sgt. Russ Martin said.

Though no shots had been fired and no one was hurt, the base enacted its Crisis Action Mode, which included a campus-wide lockdown, automated alert messages sent to people on base and the response of emergency vehicles to the base.

An individual on base told ABC News that he had received an email saying to stay inside, away from the windows, but had not been told about a shooter.

An individual seen being loaded into an ambulance during the lockdown was a woman who went into labor during the lockdown -- simply a case of "bad timing," Martin said.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Thursday
Sep012011

Suspicious Package at Illinois' Scott AFB; Three Treated at Hospital

Scott [dot] AF [dot] mil/Karen Petitt(SCOTT AIR FORCE BASE, Ill.) -- Three people were hospitalized Wednesday after they developed “rash-like” symptoms while handling a suspicious package in the mail room at Scott Air Force Base in Illinois.

A spokesman for the base said the individuals have been treated and released.  Parts of the base, which is located about 25 miles east of St. Louis, Missouri, remain under evacuation as a precaution.

“Scott AFB emergency responders are well-trained professionals who provided immediate response.  They are working diligently to render the area safe and investigating the source of the package,” Col. Mike Hornitschek said in a statement.

The three servicemembers were transported to Memorial Hospital for “possible chemical exposure.”  Another 13 people are being decontaminated on site.  Those treated on site have also been released.

Base officials say they still do not know what the package contained, but said it is being currently tested.  A spokesman was unable to describe its contents but said there is “no immediate threat to the community.”

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Wednesday
Oct272010

Glitch Takes 50 Nuclear Missiles Offline

Photo Courtesy - Getty Images(F. E. WARREN AFB, Wyo.) -- About 50 nuclear missiles at Warren Air Force Base in Wyoming went offline for about 45 minutes during the weekend.  The missiles were taken offline while Air Force officers tried to correct a hardware glitch that had some of the missiles pinging incorrect messages.

Officials stress that there was no compromise in security nor in the launch capability of the missiles, and that President Obama could have launched the missiles if he needed to.  Officials added that nothing was compromised because there are many ways in which the missiles can be launched.

Copyright 2010 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio