SEARCH

Entries in Anonymous (8)

Monday
May212012

'Hacktivists' Target Justice Department -- Again

iStockphoto/Thinkstock(WASHINGTON) -- The activist group "Anonymous" claims they've hacked into the Justice Department's Bureau of Justice Statistics and have leaked 1.7 gigabytes worth of data.  

Posts on the group's website claim they have obtained Justice Department internal emails.  The Department of Justice said they were looking into that unauthorized access to the bureau's online service, but department believes that all the information was available from the public website and that no internal operational information has been compromised.

“The department is looking into the unauthorized access of a website server operated by the Bureau of Justice Statistics that contained data from their public website. The Bureau of Justice Statistics website has remained operational throughout this time," said a Justice Department spokeswoman.

She added, "The department’s main website, justice.gov, was not affected. The department is continuing protection and defensive measures to safeguard information and will refer any activity that is determined to be criminal in nature to law enforcement for investigation.”

Anonymous' posted messages, however, claimed they were releasing the hacked information to expose internal Justice Department data and government corruption.
 
The FBI is launching a full field investigation of the computer intrusion.
 
Anonymous has previously targeted the DOJ website, hitting it with a denial of service attack earlier this year when the file-sharing website Megaupload.com was targeted by the Justice Department for intellectual property violations.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Sunday
May202012

NATO Summit: Hackers Target Websites, Arrests Made

Aaron Katersky/ABC(CHICAGO) -- A hacking group affiliated with Anonymous took responsibility for temporarily crippling the Chicago Police and NATO websites Sunday, proving authorities now have more than just street protests to worry about on the first day of the military alliance's summit.

Chicago police are working with federal authorities to investigate the attack and the extent of it, the Chicago Tribune reported.

NATO has not confirmed it was the victim of a cyber attack. All three sites now appear to be running as usual.

A lengthy statement from the hacking group, which called itself antis3curityops, was posted on Cyber War News, declaring: "We are in your harbor Chicago, and you will not forget us."

A Twitter user affiliated with Anonymous tweeted "Tango Down" with a link to the Chicago Police Department's website. "Reason: for violation of #humanrights," @Anon_Central wrote.

The attack was orchestrated using DDoS, a method in which numerous systems attack a single target website until it is forced to shut down.

Cole Stryker, author of Epic Win For Anonymous, said Sunday's hacking was likely more embarrassing than harmful to the Chicago Police Department.

"It's an egg on the face type situation," he said. "It's embarrassing when the people who are supposed to keep you safe are so easily victimized by a prankish attack like this, however I don't think it's concerning them."

The internal systems at the city and police department would not have been affected by the attack, Stryker said.

The online disruptions were just the latest incidents in the chaos that has erupted around the two-day NATO summit of world leaders in Chicago.

Three men were arrested on terrorism charges Saturday. They are accused of building Molotov cocktails and planning attacks at President Obama's Chicago campaign headquarters and at the home of Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel during the NATO Summit, prosecutors said.

Brian Church, 20, of Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., 24-year-old Vincent Betterly of Oakland Park, Fla., and 24-year-old Jared Chase of Keene, N.H., are charged with conspiracy to commit terrorism, providing support for terrorism and possession of an explosive or incendiary device.

"These men were here to hurt people," Cook County State's Attorney Anita Alvarez said in a news conference.

The defendants are self-proclaimed members of the "Black Bloc" group.

In addition to materials to make Molotov cocktails, police say the defendants had various weapons, including a mortar gun, swords, a hunting bow, throwing stars, knives and brass knuckles.

"This plot does not represent protest behavior, this is criminal behavior," said Chicago Police Superintendent Garry Mccarthy.

The men argue the materials police collected in an overnight raid Wednesday were used to brew beer.

In a different case, two militia men from Wisconsin were arrested after police found shotguns, shells, extended clips, knives and batons inside their vehicle during a traffic stop. Both men were wearing militia uniforms and were riding in a car that flew a militia flag, police said.

Police said they believe the men were in town to protest NATO.

A Chicago man was also charged with conspiring to build a Molotov cocktail and will appear in court today, the Sun-Times reported.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Mar062012

LulzSec 'Leader' Turns on Fellow Hacktivists, Feds

JEAN-PHILIPPE KSIAZEK/AFP/Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- Six members of the suspected computer hacking groups affiliated with Anonymous were charged -- including the suspected ring leader, who directed the entire operation from a Manhattan apartment complex -- after it was revealed one of the group's most high profile members has been working with federal authorities for months. Hector Monsegur, a 28-year-old American believed to use the name "Sabu" on the internet, was arrested by federal agents last year and has been cooperating with law enforcement ever since, officials said. He pleaded guilty last August.

At least four of the five other members of the group were arrested recently based on information provided by Monsegur -- one in Chicago and three overseas, officials said. Each was charged with conspiracy and at least two were to appear in federal court in Lower Manhattan. Federal officials said they expect the arrests to seriously damage LulzSec, an underground group also known as Lulz Security, which is also an offset of the hacking group Anonymous.

Law enforcement sources told ABC News that the six people charged are allegedly among the most sophisticated hackers in the world. The FBI said motives for attacks varied -- for example an attack on credit card companies was based on the refusal by the firms to process contributions to the anti-secrecy website WikiLeaks, and another attack was simply a way of mocking internet security. The investigation began with a tip last June, officials said.

The group and Anonymous have taken credit for carrying out a number of high-profile hacking actions against companies and institutions including the CIA's website, Britain's Serious Organized Crime Agency, Japan's Sony Corp and Mexican government websites.

Last month, Anonymous published a recording of a confidential call between FBI agents and London detectives in which the law-enforcement agents discuss action they are taking against hacking.

Anonymous also claimed to be behind the electronic theft of thousands of internal documents from the private intelligence analysis firm Stratfor. In charging documents released Tuesday, federal officials said that the charged co-conspirators had stolen credit card information from Stratfor employees and clients and made some $700,000 in unauthorized charges.

Earlier this week, a Twitter account connected to Sabu continued to rant against federal agents, supposedly while he was working with them.

"The federal government is run by a bunch of f*****g cowards. Don't give in to these people. Fight back. Stay strong," a tweet from Monday reads.

While Anonymous and LulzSec by nature have no official hierarchy, the user known as Sabu was one of the most vocal and prominent members in online communities.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Friday
Feb032012

Anonymous Listens in on FBI, Scotland Yard Hacking Call

FACUNDO ARRIZABALAGA/AFP/Getty Images(WASHINGTON) -- The hacking collective Anonymous managed to listen in on a conference call between the FBI and Scotland Yard as the law enforcement officers were discussing anti-hacking operations, the FBI admitted Friday.

Calling it "OpInfiltration," Anonymous members were allegedly able to steal a personal email which included instructions for dialing into the Jan. 17 private call. On Friday, the group published a recording of the call -- which discussed the timing of planned arrests and identities of suspected hackers -- as well as the email addresses of the officials on it.

In the call, a Scotland Yard official discusses a few suspected hackers in particular, including a 15-year-old that the official calls "an idiot" and another who's, "just a pain in the bum."

"Listen along, and laugh out loud at the law enforcement agents bumbling away," a description posted along with the recording said.

"The FBI might be curious how we're able to continuously read their internal comms [communications] for some time now," an Anonymous spokesperson bragged on Twitter.

An FBI official acknowledged the infiltration, saying in a statement, "The information was intended for law enforcement officers only and was illegally obtained."

"A criminal investigation is underway to identify and hold accountable those responsible," the statement said.

An official with Scotland Yard also confirmed the recording, but declined to comment further.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Thursday
Jan192012

Anonymous Attacks Justice Dept. Website After Megaupload.com Indictment

ABC News(WASHINGTON) -- The Justice Department website was down Thursday after annoucing the indictment of seven individuals and two companies behind the popular file-sharing website Megaupload.com.  About one hour after the announcement, the Justice Department's website, www.Justice.gov, came under cyberattack with a denial-of-service attack. Anonymous, the hacktivist computer group, is claiming responsibility.

The indictment alleges that the website, which has been touted by stars will.i.am, Kim Kardashian and Puff Daddy, and a shell company associated with the website, Vestor Limited, caused an estimated half-billion dollars in copyright losses and made an estimated $175 million in proceeds. The website was established in 2005 and at one point ranked as the 13th-most-visited website on the Internet.

The feds indicted the site's founder, Kim Dotcom, aka Kim Schmitz, a 37-year-old resident of Hong Kong and New Zealand. He was arrested in New Zealand by New Zealand authorities.

Also indicted were employees Bram van der Kolk, aka Bramos, 29, Julius Bencko, Finn Batato, Sven Echternach, Mathias Ortmann and Andrus Nomm. New Zealand authorities arrested Batato, Ortmann and van der Kolk. Bencko, Echternach and Nomm remain at large, officials said.

The indictment accuses the suspects of being members of "the Mega Conspiracy, a worldwide criminal organization whose members engaged in criminal copyright infringement and money laundering on a massive scale."

The case comes a day after Internet companies and websites such as Google, WordPress and Wikipedia protested about the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and the PROTECT IP Act (PIPA).

The indictment returned by a grand jury in Virginia alleges, "In exchange for payment, the Mega Conspiracy provides the fast reproduction and distribution of infringing copies of copyrighted works from its computer servers located around the world. Premium users of the site...are able to download and upload files with few, if any, limitations."

Describing the operation of the site and relations with users, the indictment noted, "For much of its operation, the Mega Conspiracy has offered an 'Uploader Rewards' Program, which promised premium subscribers transfers of cash and other financial incentives to upload popular works, including copyrighted works, to computer servers under the Mega Conspiracy's direct control and for the Conspiracy's ultimate financial benefit."

The seven suspects have been charged with participating in a racketeering conspiracy, conspiring to commit copyright infringement, conspiring to commit money laundering and two substantive counts of criminal copyright infringement.

If convicted they could face a maximum of 20 years in prison.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio 

Tuesday
Dec132011

FBI Arrests ‘Anonymous’ Member for Attack Against GeneSimmons.com

iStockphoto/Thinkstock(LOS ANGELES) -- The FBI arrested a member of the hacktivist group Anonymous Tuesday for allegedly launching a cyberattack on the website of heavy metal legend and KISS frontman Gene Simmons.

Simmons drew the ire of Anonymous members in October 2010, when he took part in an anti-piracy conference and called for a crackdown on file and music sharing on the Internet. Members of the group allegedly shut down his website, GeneSimmons.com, with a distributed denial of service attack.

Distributed denial of service attacks (DDoS) flood Internet sites and computer networks with requests for information and commands, making the networks and websites unavailable to computer users.

Anonymous member Kevin George Poe, allegedly one of the group who took part in the attack, was arrested Tuesday after being charged in an indictment with conspiracy and unauthorized impairment of a protected computer, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Los Angeles.

Poe, who lives in Connecticut, turned himself in to federal agents at the U.S. District Courthouse in Hartford for an initial appearance and was released on a personal recognizance bond.

Deirdre Murray, a lawyer with the federal defenders office who represented Poe, did not return a call for comment on the case Tuesday.

Poe is expected to appear at the federal court in Los Angeles at a later date.

Anonymous has been prolific in retaliating against individuals that they don’t agree with. In February, the group hit a U.S. computer security firm named HB Gary and targeted the CEO for allegedly claiming that the firm had infiltrated Anonymous and would disclose details about the group’s membership to the FBI.

Members of the group hacked the HBGary website, posting a message on the firm's website, allegedly downloaded thousands of emails and to top it off hijacked the CEO’s Twitter account where they posted obscene tweets along with his personal data including home address, Social Security number and telephone number.

Last month the group had pledged to name and expose members of the Zeta drug cartel in what they dubbed OpCartel.

Earlier this year, the FBI executed a series of search warrants around the country in relation to last year’s cyber attacks that targeted MasterCard, Visa and PayPal after the companies cut off financial donations to WikiLeaks following the website’s release of U.S. diplomatic cables.

The search warrants were executed in conjunction with arrests in the United Kingdom of five people who were accused of playing a role in what was dubbed “Operation Payback.”

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Wednesday
Aug172011

BART Police Officers' Personal Info Posted by Hackers

A demonstrator wears a mask during a protest inside the Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) Civic Center station on August 15, 2011 in San Francisco. (Photo by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)(SAN FRANCISCO) -- The hacking group Anonymous claims to have struck again, finding and publishing the private information of 102 police officers who work for BART, the Bay Area Rapid Transit system in the San Francisco area.

It was the hacking group's latest attempt to derail the transit system after a BART officer shot and killed a homeless man in early July. BART tried to quell subsequent customer protests by shutting down cellular service for underground San Francisco train stations.

"Leaked personal data, emails and passwords for 102 #BART police officers," said a post Wednesday on Twitter put up by "@YourAnonNews." The post included a link to a website listing home addresses and personal email accounts with their passwords.

BART management did not immediately respond to calls requesting confirmation that its employee database had been hacked.

BART has been mired in controversy since the July 3 shooting of Charles Blair Hill on a train platform. Officers said Hill came at them with a knife, but protesters said they were outraged after his death. Demonstrators stopped trains, organizing their efforts by smartphone and text messages, and said their First Amendment rights were violated when BART cut off cellular signals.

Anonymous, a shadowy and loosely organized group, says it has been an organizer of the protests. It claimed to have crashed a BART marketing website, and encouraged people to come to a downtown rally at BART stations late Monday. BART closed the stations in response, though it did not cut off cellphone transponders.

The Federal Communications Commission said it was investigating BART's right to cut off cellular service. The ACLU of Northern California held off on filing suit against BART but sent an angry letter to the FCC, calling BART the "first known government agency in the United States to block cell service in order to disrupt a political protest."  

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Jul192011

'Anonymous' Hackers Arrested by FBI

NICHOLAS KAMM/AFP/Getty Images(WASHINGTON) -- Several members of the hacker group Anonymous have been arrested by the FBI, and search warrants have been executed in New York and California, according to several Justice Department and FBI officials.

It is unknown if the arrests have also targeted members of Lulzsec group which claims to be affiliated with Anonymous and has been behind several high profile cyber-security incidents including attacks against the CIA’s public website and a massive breach of Sony’s gaming network.

Recently members of the group have been sought by the FBI and Scotland Yard in the UK as they investigated "Operation Payback," an effort apparently organized by Anonymous. “Operation Payback” consisted of a series of distributed denial of service attacks (DDoS) that were launched against MasterCard, Visa and PayPal when the companies broke their ties with WikiLeaks after it released classified U.S. State Department cables last year. Severing ties with the group impacted WikiLeaks’ ability to raise money, apparently incensing the Anonymous hackers.

The cyber attacks against the companies resulted in their websites becoming unavailable at times.

In recent weeks the FBI has conducted search warrants in Iowa and Ohio but Tuesday’s effort appears to be the most organized crackdown on the group.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio