SEARCH

Entries in Arrested (29)

Tuesday
Jan032012

LA Arson Suspect Identified, Possibly Motivated by Deportation Battle

An apartment complex that was burned in a spree of arson fires lies in ruins on Jan. 2, 2012 in Los Angeles, Calif. David McNew/Getty Images(LOS ANGELES) -- Officials Monday evening identified a man arrested after a series of 52 blazes in the Los Angeles area, and hailed the reserve deputy sheriff who apprehended him.

"Our long, four-day nightmare is over," Los Angeles County Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky told reporters.

Harry Burkhart, 24, was charged Monday afternoon with one count of arson of an inhabited dwelling, with more charges expected as the investigation proceeds, Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa told reporters at a news conference.

"The residents of Hollywood and the city of West Hollywood may now resume the peace and safety they deserve," Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca said.  "A serial arsonist, I believe, has been caught."

Burkhart was caught during a traffic stop initiated by a Tehran, Iran-born Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department volunteer, Baca added.

"Deputy Shervin Lalezary, standing next to me, [is] a full-time attorney and a part-time reserve deputy sheriff, although for the past four days he's been working full time for $1 a year," Baca said.

"Give him a raise," someone at the news conference yelled out, prompting Baca jokingly to propose raising Lalezary's compensation to $2 per year.

According to ABC News sources directly involved in the case, the "prime suspect" under arrest told authorities upon his detention, "I hate America."

That suspect, at the time not publicly identified, was believed to be a German national who may have been motivated by a deportation hearing against his mother that took place in Los Angeles County about a week and a half ago, the sources told ABC News exclusively.

The State Department gave the information to the intelligence and operational task forces involved in the manhunt, according to the sources.

The man was initially identified by police as a "person of interest," but the sources said he became a "prime suspect."  Officials later identified Burkhart, but they disclosed few details about his background.

"This is an ongoing investigation," Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck said Monday evening.  "Details about the suspect will not be released tonight other than the name and some very general things. ... An arrest is not a prosecution and a prosecution is not a conviction.  We are very confident in this arrest, but we have a long way to go."

The suspect was detained and questioned by a Los Angeles County sheriff's deputy who recognized the description of his van as possibly being connected to the fires, police said earlier in the day.  After subsequent interviews with police, he was arrested.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Thursday
Dec012011

Former Colorado Sheriff Arrested, Held in Jail Named After Him

iStockphoto/Thinkstock(LITTLETON, Colo.) -- Patrick Sullivan was such a popular sheriff that Arapahoe County renamed the jail after him when he retired. In an ironic twist, however, Sullivan was arrested on drug charges this week, and is now an inmate at the the Patrick J. Sullivan Jr. Detention Facility.

The former top cop in Arapahoe County, which includes Littleton, Colo., is facing charges that he planned to distribute methamphetamine after police found him allegedly offering to trade the drug for sex with a man.

Sullivan, 68, who served as sheriff from 1984 to 2002, was arrested on Tuesday.

“I was saddened by the allegations and very disappointed,” Grayson Robinson, the current Arapahoe County sheriff, told ABC News.  “First and foremost we have a greater purpose here and that is to be able to serve our community.  No one, including a law enforcement officer, is above the law.”

During his time as sheriff, Sullivan won the distinction of being the 2001 National Sheriff’s Deputy of the Year and took on a role in a methamphetamine policy-making task force that provided recommendations to the state legislature.

Former Arapahoe County District Attorney Jim Peters, who worked with Sullivan, told the Denver Post the allegations against Sullivan are “totally out of character.”

“He was completely ethical, upright and honest,” Peters told the newspaper.  “He just oozed honesty and integrity.  He was an outstanding sheriff.”

After retiring from law enforcement in 2002, the jail was renamed after him and Sullivan went on to become the director of safety and security for Cherry Creek Schools.  He retired from the school district in 2008.

Sullivan is being held on $500,000 bail and is scheduled to appear in court on Dec. 5.

There is no word yet from the City Commissioner whether there are plans to rename the jail.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Oct042011

CIA Contractor Charged with Felony in Colorado Parking Lot Fight

Arif Ali/AFP/Getty Images(HIGHLANDS RANCH, Colo.) -- Many in Pakistan feel that Raymond Davis got away with murder last January when the CIA contractor shot dead two men in Lahore he claimed were trying to rob him.

Davis, who was freed last March after $2.3 million in compensation was made to the victims' families, is now facing a felony assault charge in Highlands Ranch, Colorado.

The 37-year-old was formally charged Monday with getting into a fight with another man over a parking space at a local bagel shop last Saturday.

Jeffrey Maes claims that Davis hauled off on him and kept punching him after he got off the pavement.  Police said that other people in the parking lot broke up the fight.

Davis initially faced misdemeanor charges of assault and disorderly conduct before posting $1,750.  The charge was then upgraded to second-degree assault.

If found guilty, Davis could be sentenced to five years in prison.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Monday
Oct032011

CIA Contractor Once Arrested in Pakistan Busted in Colorado

Arif Ali/AFP/Getty Images(HIGHLANDS RANCH, Colo.) -- Police in Colorado arrested a CIA contractor Saturday morning who was held by the Pakistani government earlier this year for shooting two men to death who the American claimed attempted to rob him.

According to Douglas County deputies, Raymond Davis got into an physical altercation with Jeffrey Maes over a parking spot at a bagel shop.  By the time police responded to the call, onlookers had broken up the fight.

Davis was then arrested and charged with third-degree assault and disorderly conduct before being released after posting $1,750.  The other man, who received minor injuries, refused treatment at the scene and was released.

It was in late January 2011 that Davis was taken into custody after he said that he killed two men in self-defense while walking in Lahore, Pakistan.

While the State Department asserted that Davis was protected by diplomatic immunity, Pakistani authorities were under pressure to prosecute Davis because of widespread anti-American sentiment in the country.

After Davis' cover was blown by a British newspaper, the U.S. admitted that the 36-year-old former Special Forces officer was on a covert mission to collect intelligence on Islamic militant groups.

His release on March 16 came after family members of the victims reportedly received $2.3 million in compensation.

Asked about that by reporters, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said at the time, "The United States did not pay any compensation."  Clinton then said all inquiries should be made to the families and the Pakistani government.

A "blood money" agreement is part of Islamic law in Pakistan.  At Davis' hearing, 19 relatives of the two slain men said they would pardon Davis and that they had received compensation.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Wednesday
Sep282011

Arkansas Toe Sucker Nabbed

Conway Police Dept.(CONWAY, Ark.) -- Arkansas cops have arrested a 50-year-old man they say approached two women and harassed them about sucking their toes.

Local reports say Michael Wyatt, 50, was arrested in Conway Monday after two would-be victims picked him out of a police lineup. He was charged with two counts of misdemeanor harassment, and is behind bars in Faulkner County jail on nearly $1,300 bond.

Wyatt, of Vilonia, Ark., was convicted of felony terroristic threatening in 1992 and served a year in prison for telling a Faulkner County woman he wanted to cut off her feet and suck her toes while she bled to death.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Monday
Sep122011

Manny Ramirez Arrested After Fight with Wife

Ronald C. Modra/Sports Imagery/Getty Images(WESTON, Fla.) -- Former baseball slugger Manny Ramirez was arrested Monday night, accused of hitting his wife during an argument in their Weston, Fla., home.

Ramirez, a former World Series MVP and 12-time All-Star who retired this year after testing positive for drugs for a second time, smacked his wife so hard she hit her head against the headboard of their bed, according to the Broward County Sheriff’s Office arrest report.

He told police that she hit her head when he grabbed her by the shoulders and “shrugged her,” but officers on the scene said evidence showed he was “the primary aggressor” and that her account was more accurate, the arrest report said.

Ramirez, 39, was charged with battery.

Ramirez was one of baseball’s greatest hitters throughout his 19-year career, primarily with the Cleveland Indians and Boston Red Sox. In 2004, he helped the Red Sox win their first World Series in 84 years, and then again in 2007. Over the last three years of his career, he bounced between the Los Angeles Dodgers and Chicago White Sox before ending his career in April with the Tampa Bay Rays.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Wednesday
Aug172011

Obama Secret Service Agent Arrested in Iowa

Thinkstock/Getty Images(DECORAH, Iowa) -- A U.S. Secret Service agent assigned to President Obama’s security detail was arrested Aug. 13 in Decorah, Iowa, for driving under the influence, sources tell ABC News.   

Daniel L. Valencia, 40, was pulled over by a Decorah city police officer and later arrested after it appeared he had been drinking, said Chief Bill Nixon.  No accident occurred, and no one was injured.

Nixon said the agent was booked and later released.

Secret Service spokesman George Ogilvie confirmed the identity of the agent and said he was off-duty at the time of the incident, which will now be reviewed by the agency’s Office of Professional Responsibility.

Ogilvie said the agent remains employed, but would not comment further about his current status.

Obama visited Decorah on Monday, Aug. 15, as part of his three-day, three-state Midwest bus tour.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Wednesday
Aug102011

Fugitive Siblings Captured after High-Speed Chase

FBI(PUEBLO, Colo.) -- All three members of the Dougherty Gang have been captured south of Pueblo, Colo., following a high speed chase that topped 100 mph and was punctuated by gunshots, according to police and the FBI.

The short-lived cross-country manhunt came to an abrupt end Wednesday when their car crashed while being pursued by police.

The allegedly heavily-armed gang consists of stripper Lee Grace E. Dougherty, 29, and her two brother, Ryan, 21, and half-brother Dylan Dougherty Stanley, 26. They had been on the run for more than a week after allegedly firing at Florida police officer who tried to make a traffic stop, and then later reportedly robbing a Georgia bank.

Pueblo County Sheriff Kirk Taylor told ABC's Tampa affiliate WFTS that speeds exceeded 100 mph during the 20 mile chase. He said that shots were fired during the pursuit.

Two of the siblings were immediately captured after the crash. The third attempted to flee on foot, but was quickly apprehended not far from the crash site, according to WFTS.

Police say one suspect was injured, but have not released which Dougherty it was or their present condition.

"We enlisted the help of State Patrol. We had a short, high-speed chase," Taylor told ABC's radio affiliate KHOW. "The car subsequently crashed."

The trio had disappeared until they were spotted Tuesday afternoon in Colorado buying camping supplies, authorities said. They were seen at an REI sporting goods store in Colorado Springs, cops say.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Saturday
Jun252011

North Carolina Teacher Charged with Cyberstalking Student

Jupiterimages/Thinkstock(BURGAW, N.C.) -- A middle school teacher has been charged with cyberstalking one of her 13-year-old students.

Megan Mantooth, 26, is a popular eighth grade math teacher at Burgaw Middle School, located in Burgaw, North Carolina, where her husband is a deputy sheriff.

Mantooth has been charged with cybertalking, allegedly sending "hundreds" of text messages to her student, which included "a lot of sexual innuendos," according to the boy's mother, Elizabeth Graham.

According to Graham, Mantooth obtained her son's cellphone number from a fellow student and started texting the child on June 8.

The "hundreds" of texts that Graham said Mantooth sent her child included one that Graham read to ABC News:

"I wish you were home by yourself right now because I don't have the kids," and "More how? As in see ME more or less clothes more, or both."

Mantooth allegedly compared herself to the middle school female students telling the boy that she would "look better in a bikini," Graham said. She also allegedly made plans to meet the student at his beach house, texting him, "I cannot wait 8 more days to see you."

After discovering the messages being sent to her son, Graham and her husband continued to respond to Mantooth's texts, pretending to be the teen.

According to Lt. Billy Sandars of the Pender County Police Department, the incident report was filed by Elizabeth Graham on June 11, four days after initial contact was allegedly made by Mantooth.

According to Graham, all text messages were initiated by Mantooth and continued from June 8 to June 13, often coming as late as midnight.

When the parents met with Sanders on June 14, they handed over their phone to him. The lieutenant said he continued to impersonate the boy through text messages with Mantooth "for his own investigations."

Mantooth turned herself in on June 16 after Pender County police called to inform her that they had a warrant for her arrest.

Mantooth's voicemail box was full and she did not return calls to ABC News.

Community Schools Director for Pender County Schools, Joice Keith, told ABC News that Mantooth has been suspended with pay pending results of the investigation.

Mantooth is free on bond. A preliminary court date has been set for July 21.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Friday
Jun172011

Baggy Pants Passenger Treated Unfairly When Kicked off Plane?

USAir dot com(SAN FRANCISCO) -- Pocket knives and liquids aren't the only things that can't fly on airplanes anymore. Baggy pants sagging too low are also reason to be grounded.

The mother of Deshon Marman, a young man arrested on US Airways Flight 488 after his pants sagged too low to the ground, says that her son was treated unfairly. Donna Doyle said her son is being charged with indecent exposure, assault against a police officer and trespassing.

"He kept asking, 'Why? I didn't do anything.'... Deshon is not a troubled kid, he just wants to come home, get back into schooling and football and leave all this behind him," said Doyle.

Marman, 20, was arrested Wednesday after he refused to pull up his pajama bottoms upon boarding a flight from San Francisco to Phoenix to Alburquerque, N.M. Marman plays on the University of New Mexico's football team.

Sgt. Michael Rodriquez of the San Francisco Police Department described Marman's appearance.

"His underwear was covering his private areas, but his pants were below his shorts, so it was in full view of the traveling public," he said.

US Airways said that it was Marman's behavior that got him booted from the flight and arrested.

"On Wednesday a passenger was removed and taken into custody after repeatedly ignoring crew members instructions," said U.S. Airways spokesperson Andrew Christie. He said that although the airline does not have a specific dress code, "we do ask our customers to dress in an appropriate manner to assure the safety and comfort of all passengers."

Marman told ABC News he felt mistreated by the airline.

"I felt harassed, like they were attacking me, but I don't know why. I paid my ticket like everybody else," Marman said.

He claimed he was walking onto the plane when airline personnel approached him. "The pajama bottoms were loose and they didn't fit well," but that "only the top of my underwear was showing."

"I tried to pull it up, but I couldn't because I was carrying two big bags and I was in a line of people all moving fast toward the plane," he said.

Marman said he pulled up his pants when he got to his seat, but was arrested shortly after the pilot came out to talk to him. The pilot asked him to deplane, after which Marman said officers appeared and arrested him as he left.

Doyle said that, as a mother, she doesn't support the type clothing her son was wearing, but that's not a reason to kick a passenger off a plane and arrest him.

"The clothing is a fad, but you cannot judge a book by its cover. That woman made a judgment call and from there, it became a power struggle. She figured, 'I'll show you,'" said Doyle.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio