SEARCH

Entries in Burns (3)

Tuesday
Jan012013

ESPN's Hannah Storm Hosts Rose Parade After Serious Accident

iStockphoto/Thinkstock(PASADENA, Calif.) -- Just three weeks after suffering serious burns in an accident at home, ESPN anchor Hannah Storm returned to television to host the 124th Rose Parade in Pasadena, Calif. on New Years' Day.

Storm, who has been an anchor of ESPN's "SportsCenter" since 2008, shared hosting duties for the parade with "Good Morning America" anchor Josh Elliott. He opened the broadcast by welcoming her back on the air.

"The best medicine is being here with you, my friend, for the fifth year in a row," Storm said to Elliott.

Storm thanked the staff of the Trauma and Burn Center at New York's Westchester Medical Center for helping her recover.

She lost her eyebrows, eyelashes, and roughly half of her hair while she was making dinner for her family outside on the gas grill at her Connecticut home on Dec. 11.

When Storm realized the flame on the grill had gone out, she turned the gas off, and then on again, and the grill sent a wall of fire towards her.  

She suffered first-degree burns to her face and neck, as well as second-degree burns on her chest and hands.

Storm's left hand was still bandaged, preventing her from taking notes since she is left-handed. She said she wore hair extensions on the air, but other than that, viewers saw few changes from the way she looked a month ago. She has said that showering and dressing are challenging.

Since the accident, Storm has attended Christmas Eve Mass, but other than that, the trip to California for the 2013 Rose Parade was her first major trip outside since leaving the hospital.

"Can't begin to thank you all enough for your kindness and support. Getting ready for #RoseParade with @JoshElliottABC. Happy New Year!" Storm tweeted before the parade began.

Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio

Friday
Aug172012

Woman Sues Dallas Cowboys for Burned Buttocks

Al Messerschmidt/Getty Images(DALLAS) -- The Dallas Cowboys are in the “hot seat” for allegedly failing to protect one of its fans from an excruciatingly hot seat.

Jennelle Carrillo of Cleburne, Texas, has sued the football team and team owner Jerry Jones in Tarrant County District Court for third degree burns to her buttocks that came from sitting on a black marble bench outside the Cowboys Stadium in temperatures that exceeded 100 degrees.

"She was required to be admitted to a hospital and undergo skin grafts and other treatment for her burn injuries," said Carrillo’s attorney, Michael Wash.

The burns occurred when Carrillo was attending the Blue & Silver Debut scrimmage game in August 2010.

The combination of the black marble and hot sun caused the bench to be extremely hot and unreasonably dangerous, she alleges in the lawsuit.

“No signs were posted at or near the bench warning persons not sit on it,” said Wash. “The defendants breached their duty of care by both failing to make the condition safe and failing to adequately warn the plaintiff.”

Wash said Carrillo was wearing full-length pants when she received the burns to her backside.

According to the court filing, Carrillo spent nearly a week in the hospital and endured physical pain and mental anguish, and will continue to suffer damages in the future.

“It’s amazing that we are now responsible for the Texas sun,” the team’s attorney Levi McCathern told ABC News. “Unfortunately, even lawsuits like this have to be defended.”

McCathern said they have never dealt with a lawsuit like this one.

Wash said the lawsuit is in the hands of the Dallas Cowboys’ attorneys, and he is yet to receive a response.

The Cowboys have until Sept. 4 year to respond to the claims.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Jun052012

Massachusetts Man Catches Fire After Applying Sunscreen

ABC News(NEW YORK) -- A Massachusetts man said he suffered second-degree burns from a grill after applying sunscreen lotion on parts of his body.

Brett Sigworth said he applied Banana Boat sunscreen to his body before walking over to his grill, not knowing it would still be flammable after it was on his skin.

"I went into complete panic mode and screamed," Sigworth said.  "I've never experienced pain like that in my life."

The result was second-degree burns to his chest, ear and back, the only areas where he applied the sunscreen.  Ten days after the incident, Sigworth is still showing the effects of the incident.

The warnings on the bottle of Banana Boat sunscreen read, "Flammable, don't use near heat, flame or while burning." Still, it doesn't say the product is flammable once it's applied.

Banana Boat officials said in a statement they were sorry to hear about Sigworth's experience and would begin a prompt investigation.

"We are unaware of any prior incidents similar to what Brett has described, but because nothing is more important to us than the safety of our consumers, we are taking this matter very seriously," the statement said.

Dan Dillard, CEO of the Burn Prevention Network, believes the sunscreen might not have fully absorbed into Sigworth's skin and the droplets from the aerosol spray might have still been in the air.

"As he approached the flame, the charcoal simply caught the vapor trail and it follows the vapor trail to where the bulk of the substance is, which is on his body," said Dillard.

"I think if people were told this is flammable for two minutes on your skin, people wouldn't use it," Sigworth said.

Sigworth doesn't plan to sue, but is sharing his story and photos with others to make sure no one else ends up in the hospital after applying sunscreen.

"It was so scary," he said, "and I just wouldn't want to see it happen to anybody else."

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio