SEARCH

Entries in Canada (8)

Wednesday
Dec052012

US Worried About Generic Oxycontin Pills Crossing Canadian Border

iStockphoto/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- The U.S. Drug Czar is warning police and border patrol agents in the north to be on the lookout for a possible flood of the generic version of a popular painkiller.

Cheap, generic versions of the painkiller Oxycontin could hit shelves in Canada as soon as next month.  The concern is that these generic pills, which have not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration for use in the United States -- can be easily crushed and snorted by people who abuse pain killers.  That was a big problem with the first Oxycontin pills, which are now crush resistant.  

Health officials worry the generic version could undo those efforts to stop abusers from overdosing.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Sunday
Oct282012

Tsunami Warning in Hawaii Downgraded to Advisory After Canada Quake

iStockphoto/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- A tsunami warning was downgraded to an advisory for the state of Hawaii this morning, following a 7.7 earthquake off the coast of British Columbia Saturday night.

Although waves up to six feet were predicted, the first waves that reached the islands were much smaller.

"We appear at this stage to be very, very fortunate," said Hawaii Gov. Neil Abercrombie.

Residents in low lying areas were evacuated.

Honolulu Mayor Peter Carlisle said while the waves were not as big as expected, officials have to remain cautious.

"These events are capricious. They're dangerous. You have to always err on the side of safety," Carlisle said.

Carlisle told ABC News affiliate KITV that it is now safe for residents from the evacuated areas to return home and roads were reopening.

But Carlisle said he won't give the "all clear" because previous incidences show the danger might not be over.

"In some instances, after the last great warning, there was danger that lasted for two full days in certain areas. We do not want somebody to go into the water and risk that type of danger," he said.

The 7.7 quake that triggered the tsunami warnings was centered around an island north of Vancouver in Canada.

A 5.8 aftershock was reported just after the first earthquake.

No major damage has been reported.

Jay Albrecht with the National Weather Service said the quake's impact was felt as far south as San Francisco.

"There is a tsunami advisory that's been issued for the Southern Oregon and Northern California coast and that goes from about 80 miles northwest of San Francisco, northward to a location about 10 miles southwest of Florence, Ore.," Albrecht said.

Tsunami advisories were canceled for Canada and Oregon.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Monday
Jun112012

Canadian Porn Actor Linked to Unsolved Miami Murder?

Montreal Police(MIAMI) -- Miami police say they haven't ruled out the possibility that porn actor Luka Rocco Magnotta, who allegedly killed his male lover, chopped up the body and mailed pieces of it to government officials, could have committed an unsolved murder in Miami in 2009.

The news comes days after Los Angeles police confirmed there is no possible link between Magnotta and the chopped-up body found beneath the Hollywood sign in January.

Magnotta, 29, was arrested in Berlin last week on murder charges.  He allegedly filmed himself stabbing a Montreal college student to death with an ice pick, hacked the corpse to pieces and mailed them to government offices.  He allegedly also had sex with some of the body parts.

The victim in the unsolved Miami case was Omar Laparra, 21, whose body was found in the Biscayne Bay, dismembered and floating in plastic bags.  Detectives still don't know how he died, according to ABC News affiliate Local 10 in Miami.

The Canadian Press reports that someone posting as "luka-magnotta" wrote on Lotus car websites in 2010 and said he was living in Miami.

"Why not look into it?  Any agency with a similar case, we would look into it," Miami Police Sgt. Confesor Gonzalez told the Miami Herald.

But at first glance, the Miami killing doesn't follow the pattern of Magnotta's alleged crime in Canada, said Gonzalez, the lead investigator on the Laparra case.

"In the Canadian case, it appeared to be domestic, and the killer knew the victim, while in our case, it appears to be random," he told the Herald.  "Nonetheless, in the interest of being thorough, we will follow up with Montreal police."

Magnotta is currently in a German jail awaiting extradition to Canada, where police say he allegedly murdered Chinese student Jun Lin around May 24.

Magnotta and victim Jun Lin, 33, were gay lovers, according to Montreal police.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Friday
Jun082012

Canadian 'Cannibal' and Hollywood Murder Not Connected: Cops

Montreal Police Department(LOS ANGELES) -- Los Angeles police do not believe the dismemberment of a Montreal student by a Canadian "cannibal" is connected to the chopped up body found beneath the famous Hollywood sign in January, a commander told ABC News on Friday.

L.A. cops said on Thursday they were in touch with their counterparts in Montreal looking for a possible connection between the murder of Hervey Medellin, 66, who was decapitated and his remains were scattered beneath the famous landmark, and the videotaped dismemberment of Jun Lin, 33, a Chinese student killed in May in Quebec.

Lin was allegedly killed by former porn actor Luka Magnotta, 29, who recorded himself murdering Lin with an ice pick and hacking apart the Chinese student's corpse. Magnotta then allegedly had sex with some of Lin's dismembered body parts and ate others. The man's hands and feet were mailed to two government offices and two schools.

Authorities in Los Angeles are continuing to talk with Canadian cops, but at this point do not believe the two murders are related.

Los Angeles sources believe there is a large body of evidence suggesting Medellin's murder was the result of a love-triangle. There was also a very distinct method of dismembering Medellin's body, sources told ABC News.  The evidence points to a person or persons with no known link to Magnotta, sources said.

A Facebook page in Magnotta's name, and one of many attributed to the accused killer, includes posts made in February that suggest the user was in Los Angeles working as a masseuse.

Authorities in Los Angeles say they do not believe Magnotta was in L.A. at the time of Medellin's murder. Canadian sources, however, have yet to determine Magnotta's whereabouts at that time.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Thursday
Jun072012

Did Accused Canadian Cannibal Strike in Hollywood?

Montreal Police(LOS ANGELES) -- Los Angeles police are in contact with Canadian authorities to determine if Luka Magnotta, suspected in the murder and cannibalism of his gay lover, was also involved in a gruesome decapitation in Hollywood earlier this year.

"We are in touch with the Montreal police," an LAPD spokesman told ABC News. "We'll see if there's any connection."

Magnotta, 29, is currently in a German jail awaiting extradition to Canada, where police say he allegedly murdered Chinese student Jun Lin around May 24. Magnotta is accused of killing Lin with an ice pick and dismembering his corpse, some pieces of which he had sex with and others he ate. Magnotta is also accused of sending Lin's severed limbs in the mail to schools and government offices.

Los Angeles police are investigating if Magnotta may also be connected to the murder and dismemberment of Hervey Medellin, 66, whose decapitated body was discovered under the iconic Hollywood sign in January.

Magnotta and Lin were gay lovers, according to Montreal police. Los Angeles police confirmed Medellin, a former Mexican Airlines employee, was openly gay.

Medellin's head was discovered in Bronson Canyon Park on Jan. 17 when a dog discovered a plastic bag that contained a head. The accompanying dog walker called the police, who discovered severed hands and feet during the course of a two-day search.

Citing privacy concerns, the U.S. Customs and Border Protection agency would not confirm if Magnotta, a gay porn actor, was in the United States at the time.

However, posts on one of several Facebook accounts attributed to Magnotta, and which bears his name, date from February and suggest he was in Los Angeles at the time. In those bulletins, first discovered by the New York Observer, the poster appears to be arranging appointments to offer massages and includes a phone number with an L.A. area code.

"Raymond and I are doing massages at his place on La Bra, pick me up at his place after we're done and we'll go out. I NEED A JOINT," reads one post, dated Feb. 19.

In addition to the sexuality of both victims, the crimes appear to bear some resemblance. In each case the head, hands and feet were severed.

The killers in each case also appear to be seeking some publicity. Medellin's killer placed his head near the Hollywood sign, guaranteeing discovery. Montreal police confirm that Magnotta is the man seen killing, dismembering and eating his victim in a video posted online.

On May 29, a human foot was found by a receptionist who received a blood-soaked package at the Ottawa headquarters of the Conservative Party of Canada. A second package containing a hand was seized at a post office in Ottawa later in the day. The parts were later confirmed to belong to Lin.

On Tuesday, packages containing another foot and hand, also believed to belong to Lin, were received by two Vancouver elementary schools.

Lin's head is still missing.

Magnotta is expected to be extradited back to Canada before the end of June.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Friday
Nov112011

White House Holds Off on Canada-US Pipeline Decision

iStockphoto/Thinkstock(WASHINGTON) -- Sensing a huge backlash from environmental groups with the election year right around the corner, the White House made a decision Thursday that postpones the possible building of a 1,700-mile oil pipeline that would stretch from Canada to the Gulf of Mexico until 2013.

The administration wants plans drawn up that would provide alternative routes of TransCanada Corp.'s $7 billion Keystone XL pipeline through sections of Nebraska.

"The U.S. administration is feeling the heat and wants to put off a decision until after the election," said John Bennett of the Sierra Club Canada.  "It's the first time the environment has trumped oil in U.S. politics."

There were also reports that some environmental groups were talking about cutting off donations to President Obama's reelection campaign if he approved the Keystone XL pipeline.

The Canadian government, U.S. Republicans and labor unions oppose the delay because shippers and refiners who are currently on board with the pipeline might now abandon it.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Friday
Jul292011

Missing New Hampshire Girl Search Extends to Canada

Jupiterimages/Thinkstock(STEWARTSTOWN, N.H.) -- The frantic search for missing New Hampshire girl Celina Cass was extended to Canada on Thursday and police from at least three states and the FBI have joined the manhunt.

The 11-year-old girl, who lives one mile from the Canadian border, was last seen by her parents at her computer in her bedroom Monday evening.  By Tuesday morning, she had vanished from the family's West Stewartstown home.

At least 48 law enforcement agents, some coming from New York and Virginia, have arrived in New Hampshire to aid in the search for Cass, New Hampshire Assistant Attorney General Jane Young told ABC News.  The Royal Canadian Mountain Police are working with New Hampshire officials to look for the girl, he said.

"Until we find her, we are going to continue to scour this area," Young said.

Friends and family described the girl as a shy fifth grader who would never run away or leave with a stranger.

On Thursday, authorities pored through Cass' computer and phone records, looking for any clues into her disappearance.  FBI agents have also been seen questioning neighbors on their front porches.

No Amber Alert has been issued for Cass.  Authorities are treating this as a missing persons case and no suspects have been named.

Court documents obtained by ABC News reveal that Cass' stepfather, Wendell Noyes, has a troubled past.

Noyes, 47, was involuntarily committed to a hospital in 2003 because of his schizophrenia and arrested for threatening an ex-girlfriend, according to court documents.  Noyes was charged with violating a protective order held by his ex-girlfriend and for criminal trespassing, criminal threatening, and hindering apprehension.

The girlfriend, who lived with her two kids at the time, said that Noyes broke into her home while she was sleeping, lifted her mattress and slammed it down and then threatened to throw her down the stairs.

While awaiting trial, a judge ruled Noyes incompetent to stand trial and ordered him to be involuntarily placed in a hospital.  Judge Richard Hampe wrote that Noyes' mental illness creates "a potentially serious likelihood of danger to himself and others."

A forensic examiner deemed Noyes a paranoid schizophrenic who likey developed his mental illness while in the Air Force, according to court documents.

Attempts to reach Noyes and his wife have been unsuccessful.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Feb012011

Congress: Border With Canada the Weak Link In Terror Security

Photo Courtesy - Getty Images(WASHINGTON) -- A congressional study out Tuesday says only 32 of the 4,000 miles of border with Canada are fully secured by the U.S. Border Patrol, providing a potential pathway for terrorists to enter this country. The General Accounting Office study was released by Sens. Joe Lieberman, I-Conn., and Susan Collins, R-Maine.

"The northern border provides easy passage for extremists, terrorists and criminals who clearly mean to harm America," Lieberman said. He added while most of the nation's concern has been focused on threats from our border with Mexico, he believes lax security on the northern border is potentially more dangerous.

"To me this report is absolutely alarming. The risk of terrorist activity across the northern border is actually higher than the terror threat on our southern border."

Lieberman said he based that judgment on several factors: there are more identified Islamic extremist groups in Canada than in Mexico; the northern border has only "a fraction of the security" that is in force on the southern border; and the northern border is dotted with large population centers, which makes it harder to detect illegal activity.

The GAO report took the Department of Homeland Security to task for not effectively coordinating the many U.S., Canadian and local law enforcement efforts to secure the border, citing numerous gaps and duplications of effort.

Lieberman and Collins called for improvements, and for more federal dollars to be directed to the northern border. Lieberman said, “We ought to have systems in place that lets us know when someone comes across illegally, then we can try to catch them."

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio