SEARCH

Entries in Carbon Monoxide Poisoning (2)

Thursday
Mar082012

Keyless Car Ignitions: Are They Too Dangerous?

iStockphoto/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- Keyless ignitions are designed to simplify the driving experience -- push a button rather than turn a key.  But recent fatalities, including this past week in Boca Pointe, Fla., where drivers left the car running and died of carbon monoxide poisoning, have highlighted whether keyless ignition cars are safe.

Adele and Mort Victor were found dead Thursday in the bedroom of their Boca Pointe home. Their keyless ignition cars have now been impounded by police.

In 2009, Mary Rivera of Long Island, N.Y., survived after leaving her Toyota running in her garage, but her husband died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

"The ignition didn't turn off," Rivera said.  "I was very familiar with the car.  I drove it every day.  I don't know.  I thought I turned it off, but apparently I didn't."

She was saved by her brother, John, who was worried when he didn't hear from her.

"I thought she was dead.  I rushed to her and was yelling at her and shaking her to have some response," John Rivera said.

More than 160 car models now offer keyless start.  Toyota said its cars sound a warning when the driver leaves without shutting down the car.

Still, the Center for Auto Safety said it tracked six fatalities involving push-button starters and wants car manufacturers to return to keys.

When asked if drivers are partly to blame for walking out of the car without turning off the ignition, Clarence Ditlow, executive director with the Center of Auto Safety, said it's part of the issue.

"Sure, it's our fault," Ditlow said.  "But this is a device that makes it easy to forget, and the cost of forgetfulness should not be death by carbon monoxide."

The National Highway Transportation Agency wants manufacturers to standardize all the push-button starters to avoid confusion.

In the meantime, Mary Rivera and several other push-button start users are suing the manufacturers for alleged losses.

Rivera said manufacturers are "a 100 percent at blame because they designed something that could be left on without a person knowing.  So we have to blame them 100 percent."

video platform video management video solutions video player

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Monday
Feb072011

Dozens Sickened, 8 Hospitalized After Colo. Carbon Monoxide Exposure

Photo Courtesy - Getty Images(GUNNISON, Colo.) -- Eight people have been hospitalized in serious condition after a carbon monoxide poisoning during a youth hockey tournament Sunday in Gunnison, Colo., reports local ABC News affiliate KMGH-TV.

According to a hospital press release, 54 adults, teens and children suffered some degree of exposure while at the local ice rink.

Randy Phelps, chief executive officer at Gunnison Valley Health Hospital, said of the eight victims transported, two were sent to Denver for hyperbaric oxygen chamber treatment. The chamber is designed to reduce carbon monoxide levels and restore oxygen levels as quickly as possible.

It is not yet known how the leak may have been caused.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio