SEARCH

Entries in Cell Phone (4)

Saturday
Dec082012

Texting 911 to Be Activated

iStockphoto/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- The Federal Communications Commission announced it reached a "voluntary agreement" with the country's largest wireless carriers for implementing a text option for 911, instead of calling to report an emergency.

Last year 13-year-old Chloe Symington was home alone in Michigan when she spotted two intruders and called 911 from under her bed. Understandably, she did not want to talk.

It's situations like this and the concern for the hearing and speech impaired that made the FCC asked American major wireless providers to speed up development of a system to let people text 911 instead of calling.

The FCC says the system will be ready, across the country, by 2014.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Thursday
Jan122012

Ringtone Halts New York Philharmonic Mid-Song

Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage(NEW YORK) -- For the first time ever, a performance of the New York Philharmonic at Lincoln Center was halted by a ringing cell phone.

Tuesday night, during the final movements of Gustav Mahler’s Ninth Symphony, the music was brought to a dramatic halt by Maestro Alan Gilbert.

The culprit?  The distinctive sound of iPhone’s “Marimba” ringtone.

A ringing phone in the first row could be heard throughout the Center’s Avery Fisher Hall each time the symphony came to a quiet moment in the performance.

It was then that Maestro Gilbert sharply turned his head to signal to the offending audience member that that was enough, reports the Wall Street Journal, who happened to have a reporter in the audience.

The ringtone continued to the point where Gilbert turned to the audience and asked that the culprit, said to be a male and a regular Philharmonic attendee, quiet his phone.

Gilbert finally stopped the orchestra mid-song until it happened, and resumed the concert’s grand finale only after he received confirmation that it would not happen again.

The Philharmonic reports it was the first time the music director had ever interrupted a performance because of a cell phone, or any other disruption.

video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Friday
May272011

Girl Allegedly Shoots Dad for Taking Cellphone

Comstock/Thinkstock(SEATTLE) -- A father remains in serious condition after police said his 15-year-old daughter allegedly shot him with a hunting bow Wednesday evening.

Police said the arrow struck the torso of the 35-year-old father, who was airlifted to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle.

The Tahyua, Washington man told police he had taken away his daughter's cellphone to discipline her, although police did not know why she'd been grounded.

Mason County sheriff's spokesman William Adam told ABC News, "He crawled out of a window of his house, and then he was able to crawl to a vehicle and drive to a neighbor's house.  The closest neighbor was a third of a mile away."

The teenager gave up willingly after deputies found her in a forest area near her home, Adam said.

"She had an excess of at least 36 arrows, along with the compound bow, according to her father," Adam said.

Compound bows, which are popular with hunters, allow shooters to draw the bow with less effort than is required for other kinds of bows, making it easier to aim at a target.

Police said after they apprehended the girl, they found her to be "despondent, with serious medical issues, so she was transferred to Mary Bridge Children's Hospital."

She is expected to be brought before a judge sometime Friday.´╗┐

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Friday
Jan072011

John Wheeler's Cell Phone Found in House Under Construction

Photo Courtesy - Getty Images(PHILADELPHIA) -- Police in Newark, Del., have recovered John Wheeler's cell phone in a house under construction across the street from his home in New Castle. Del., reported ABC affiliate WPVI in Philadelphia.

The ex-presidential appointee had filed a lawsuit, challenging the zoning approval for the neighboring house because it partially blocked his view of Battery Park and the Delaware River.

Police have been looking into the possibility that Wheeler may have set off smoke bombs in the house earlier last week.

Wheeler reportedly fought with a neighbor over the construction of the home. An attorney for that neighbor issued a statement saying his client was saddened by Wheeler's death.

Authorities have also interviewed a cab driver after finding his phone number on Wheeler's cell phone.

The driver, Athel Scott, said he doesn't know how his number got on Wheeler's phone, but he said he does remember seeing him.

"I seen him one day by the Hotel duPont and one day I seen him at the train station going inside that little store, that's all I know," Scott said.

Police also announced Friday they have uncovered more surveillance video from the night Wheeler was last seen alive. The video shows Wheeler leaving the Nemours Building in Wilmington, then walking down the street, passing through the Hotel duPont valet parking area further, before crossing over to Market Street.

In one portion of the video, the 66-year-old Wheeler appears confused as he held a shoe in one hand, and limping slightly. He is last seen on camera at 8:42 p.m. on Dec. 30.

Former homicide investigator Brad Garrett told ABC News, "So the, the question for investigators is, does it all really go together or is it pieces? When I say pieces, did he have a stroke, for example? Becomes disoriented, he wanders around. He hits into the wrong crowd. They kill him. They rob him, whatever they might do."

Wheeler's death remains a distressing mystery for his family and the police.

Investigators are continuing their efforts to talk to Wheeler's friends and associates, and are asking for the public's help. Meanwhile, Wheeler's family issued a statement Friday, thanking the police for their efforts:

"The family of John P. Wheeler III is most grateful for the efforts of the law enforcement authorities in the ongoing investigation into his death. The family is sincerely thankful for all the personal expressions of sympathy and condolences received from so many whose lives were touched by Jack in such positive ways. We reiterate our previous requests for privacy as we mourn his loss and ask that our decision to refrain from further comment at this time be respected."

Wheeler, a former presidential appointee and defense consultant, was found dead as his body was being dumped out of a dumpster into a Wilmington, Del. landfill on New Year's Eve.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio´╗┐







ABC News Radio